Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/14/2017, 10:44 PM   #51
vikinglord13
Registered Member

Now it's time for a better tank to rise from the ashes!

vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 06:20 AM   #52
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikinglord13 View Post
Now it's time for a better tank to rise from the ashes!
Exactly! Though "better" will be a relative term. If you love SPS, then you may not agree that my next ecosystem will be better. It will, however, be different and still quite colorful. But there are a few things I've wanted to do for a long time but never had the space. Originally, I had planned to make those changes a year ago when I started the 300 project. BUT, I got a little sentimental with certain corals, didn't give them up, and ended up just making a bigger version of my 120. I DID add some tangs so I got part way to my vision. Now, I have mostly free reign to complete the project as I had planned. This is something I would have done in another year (more or less) anyway. But it would have been nice to sell some frags/colonies to help pay for that change. Instead, I'll just have to foot the bill without much coral subsidy. :0)

For me, the fish have always been the biggest draw for any aquarium. I've been sidetracked by planted freshwater aquariums and reefs (obviously). I've really enjoyed reefing and won't ever truly give it up. I will certainly keep some sps in the tank, probably add a couple more LPS, and likely a softy or two. But I already know that the fish I'm planning to keep will not be "reef safe" and may create some issues here and there. Not a big worry, and will be worth whatever challenges I face. I still have about two months before I can really start this "new direction" in earnest. That will give me plenty of time to plan out the hows and whens, place some orders, and that is a highly enjoyable process as I'm sure many would agree!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 09:46 AM   #53
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Thanks! I'm upbeat about it. Although it is not ideal to lose nearly all of my sps, I am looking at this as an opportunity to make some changes and head in a new and exciting direction... one that I've always wanted to do in fact!
Looking forward to seeing your progress!!!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 03:40 PM   #54
vikinglord13
Registered Member

I like the thought thatbwe either habe a reef tank with fish in it or a fish tank with corals in it. I'm definitely part of the latter as I care more about the fish. Though, I see the coral as living decoration, or living art.

I've personally a fan of a good mixed reef that is heavy with softies and LPS, that difficult to do with fish that aren't reef safe. I'm anxious to see the growth of your "new" tank.

vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2017, 08:08 AM   #55
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikinglord13 View Post
I like the thought thatbwe either habe a reef tank with fish in it or a fish tank with corals in it. I'm definitely part of the latter as I care more about the fish. Though, I see the coral as living decoration, or living art.

I've personally a fan of a good mixed reef that is heavy with softies and LPS, that difficult to do with fish that aren't reef safe. I'm anxious to see the growth of your "new" tank.
Holy long delay on my part! Thanks for the comment. I have been thinking a bit more about my direction and I haven't really changed my mind... well, just slightly. I am not sure how many softies I'll get at this point. Maybe just a sinularia and then we'll see what comes available. The gorgonians are still on the "to-get" list. I do think that/those will look good.

I am now considering adding a couple of birdsnest (pink, ponepei) because I see how well the sour apple is doing. I have to hack that thing about once every few months. It looks great, has long polyps, and grows well. It might be cool to simply have a few very large colonies placed at the highest points of the tank. Also considering adding a few encrusting montis to some of the large bare rock areas just to add a bit more color in certain areas. Gotta see what's available though first.

Still having some issues with the calothrix (I believe this is correct ID) but I do think I'm turning the corner. Seems to have been a long chain of events that led to its stronghold. First was my absence over much of the last 5 months. The pumps got a bit gunked up and flow was reduced. This led to more sedimentation on the rocks, then the calothrix was able to take hold. I have scrubbed the rocks a couple of times and it seems to work pretty well... but it'll take a few months of battling I'm sure. The t5s have been off for several weeks which has been helping I'm sure. The LEDs are fairly blue and I only have the white/color at 15%. I may even turn that down to see if all blue will reduce the growth rate even further. The corals are fine without the t5.

My CUC needs to be built up. I probably only have a couple dozen trochus snails, and a few Mexican turbo snails. Going to add some cerith and more trochus as long as I can find them. The 2 sand sifting stars are doing all they can... but it's not enough. Planning to add 2-3 tiger tail cucumbers to see if they can help keep the sand cleaner. From what I've read, it seems they will do a good job, add some diversity to my crew, and I think the kids will like seeing them too... and I don't really want to have 5-6 sand sifting stars.

Have also been doing more water changes and that has certainly helped. Typically, I'm doing 25 gallons at a time which is less than 10% but it's been about once weekly or bi-monthly so not too bad actually. And the water I'm removing has been pretty darn nastly. I scrubbed the tub/refugium on Friday and it was not a pretty sight. I've got to do another water change this week and I'll likely scrub it again. There was so much bubble algae and hair algae... a decent amount of bryopsis as well. This has not spread into the display tank at all and I do think the tangs eat it. I've placed several small rocks containing hair/turf algae/bryopsis into the display and they always come out clean. That said, I decided to leave only a few small-ish live rocks in the refugium to grow some turg algae (for feeding) but I removed the container of rubble and put it directly into the sump. This will still allow the pods to flourish but reduce the amount of bubble algae and attachment points for hair algae/bryopsis. Just easier for me to maintain.

LAST NIGHT - I went to remove the food barrel on the auto feeder and [of course!] the cap came off and a few tablespoons of pellets were released into the display tank. Argh!! This was just after I had fed the fish LRS herbivor frenzy. They ate a bunch of the pellets but I spend about 20 minutes trying to scoop out what I could with a net. I got a decent amount but was so annoyed at dumping a huge amount of nutrients into the system. Hopefully the fish will continue to scavenge them off the sand throughout the day today. I think it will probably be fine, but always fearful of the worst. Someone talk me back... :0)

Anyway, long update and not much for changes. Still working towards stabilizing the system WITHOUT nuisance algae. If anyone else has dealt with calothrix I'm eager to hear what you did to get rid of it. As I said, I DO think I'm heading towards success but always welcome some pointers.

Unread 10/09/2017, 08:52 AM   #56
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

What is calothrix? Some kind of algae? I haven't heard of that one. I can see how being out of town a lot can be a challenge. A good crew definitely helps.

Just to clarify, your new direction is to move away from sensitive SPS and towards sturdier corals, with a new emphasis on bigger, non-reefsafe fish, correct? That sounds like a fun tank, with lots to enjoy!

It sounds like you're in algae town right now. Has anyone ever avoided it? I now believe it is just a beneficial part of the maturation process. Of course the trick is to get it down to manageable levels. Have you considered adding a fast growing macro algae to compete for nutrients?

I look forward to seeing your new vision take shape! Pics?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2017, 07:15 AM   #57
McPuff
Registered Member

Hi Michael. Calothrix is another type of cyanobacteria, but it looks kind of like brown hair algae. My fish definitely do NOT eat it, unfortunately. I do have chaeto growing in the refugium, but I'd also like to add some ulva and see how that goes. I also have some dragon's breath that grows quite well in the refugium.

You are correct about the corals. Less sensitive.... though I didn't really have many sensitive species before. So it'll be similar. I was just given 8 frags last night by a local reefer so we'll give those a shot too. Mostly montis and stylos which I like.

As for fish, the assemblage won't change really, but I do want to add a few more "with caution" fishes like angels. I'll certainly get a trigger and a puffer at some point but they may not leave the refugium for quite some time. I do have inverts in the display and I'm not ready to bid them adieu just yet. :0)

I'll post some more pictures soon. Gotta at least get a "before" pic showing how empty the tank looks now. Have to attach the new corals likely tonight so they can get going.

Otherwise, just need to really focus on keeping quality flow at all times (upgrading the jebao pp20 to a Tunze stream 3 will help!), managing nutrients more consistently (i.e., staying home!), and keeping the tank cleaner in general. Like I said, no problem as long as I'm home! :0)

Unread 10/10/2017, 09:15 AM   #58
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks McPuff. I have some stuff growing on my fake roots, in dim light. It is very etherial, almost like smoke. Does that sound like it?

I'm glad to hear you're having success with macros in your 'fuge. I think you'd like ulva. It grows fast and everything that eats plants loves it, so you can throw prunings into your display and it will be devoured.

I look forward to more pics. Your rockscape is awesome!

Unread 10/11/2017, 06:41 AM   #59
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Thanks McPuff. I have some stuff growing on my fake roots, in dim light. It is very etherial, almost like smoke. Does that sound like it?

I'm glad to hear you're having success with macros in your 'fuge. I think you'd like ulva. It grows fast and everything that eats plants loves it, so you can throw prunings into your display and it will be devoured.

I look forward to more pics. Your rockscape is awesome!
It's not so wispy... much more substantial. I do know what you are talking about that.

The ulva seems like a good option... and I hear it tastes good for humans too. :0)

About the rock work... Thanks!! I've been making little changes here and there over the past year. I think another rock or two needs to be tweaked and then I'll be happy.

Unread 10/24/2017, 03:21 AM   #60
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techhnyne View Post
Is it hard to do an upgrade? I have a 125 i would like to do a 180 or 220
It is difficult if you need to put the new tank in the same spot as the old tank.

Otherwise, it's quite easy. If you use the live rock you've already got (maybe with a few more pieces of new, dry rock) then you'll have the bacterial community ready to rock. It would be helpful to add more biomedia to your existing tank a few weeks ahead of time so you can seed the new tank prior to the transfer. Once you move everything over, it's basically like doing a water change. Main thing is to take your time, think it through completely, and take every opportunity to IMPROVE the system you're upgrading. The planning it the hardest part. The doing is the easy part honestly.

Unread 11/13/2017, 08:26 AM   #61
McPuff
Registered Member

Quick update: I added a few small frags from a local reefer (very generous!) and they are doing great. The milka stylo (originally from my tank) has grown quite a bit, encrusted fully, and is already splitting off new heads. The spongodes is also growing nicely. Several others also looking great!

The calothryx has almost entirely subsided. There are a couple little puff-balls that are hard to reach though it's hard to tell if they are turf algae or calothryx. Either way, no harm at this point. I did end up scooping out a bunch of sand so I could clean it off. That pretty much took care of the bloom I had in the sand. It's looking nice and white again. The rocks are back to purple and not brown and covered in sh*t. :0)

Finally had the chance to clean my skimmer pump and the return pump. Amazing how much difference a simple 10 minute cleaning will make. I had to turn down the return pump actually!

Tub/refugium - decided to make this into a lagoon instead of a refugium. Removed the MarsAqua grow light as I was just getting a ton of nuisance algae growing in there. Did a massive cleaning (again) in there, and then added a DIY LED light (using what I had available). I'll want to get something with better control because right now it's all constant current and VERY blue. Also made another live rock structure with the help of e-marco 400. I'll have to get some pics of this to post soon. It looks pretty cool to me so far! And it'll give me a good place to acclimate new fish and [eventually] put a trigger or two and puffer. Really looking forward to that!! It can also be used for frags (incoming or outgoing).

Finished 2 acrylic TTM tanks of 12x12" (~7.5 gal). This size is just about perfect for this purpose. Now I just need to get some fish into these things! I'll probably use a simple 20 gal for the QT after the TTM has completed. Then I can observe for external parasites and treat for internal parasites with medicated foods.

Last thing - the fish. Holy cow are they getting fat! I've been feeding a LOT more nori lately in hopes they could graze more often. They love it but the grazing is still mostly a gorging. The pyroferus tang is still a bit skinny so I decided to feed some frozen food soaked in metronidazole just in case it had/has something in its gut. It has been putting on weight, just slowly. The drugs won't hurt so I figured it was worth the effort. The tiny naso tang is finally starting to put on some size as well. Have had it more than a year now but it's reached the "turning point" in my opinion, where it is very wide and will probably start to shoot up in size quickly. Its colors are also coming in very nicely.

Unread 11/21/2017, 11:12 AM   #62
McPuff
Registered Member

New Addition

Just placed an order yesterday for my first large angel in ages!

As Steve Irwin would say, "What a little beauty!"

Annularis_juv.JPG

Just a tiny one at 1 3/8" long. Looking forward to its arrival tomorrow. Then into TTM for 12 days, QT for a couple weeks, then the lagoon will be his/her home for several months.

Working on getting a tiny blueface angel as well. I'm hoping they can share the lagoon and grow up together. I'll also be able to assess their coral nipping behavior in the lagoon as that is where I'll be placing frags going forward. Speaking of, I need to post some pics of the lagoon now that it's no longer a "refugium" so to speak. I imagine the angels will need to be around 3-4" before I even consider putting them into the DT. Will certainly use an acclimation box for that as well. Another project! :0)

Unread 11/21/2017, 11:19 AM   #63
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Congrats on the new Angel fish. Such beautiful fish!

A pic update on your tank and tub would be great!

Unread 11/21/2017, 11:02 PM   #64
locito277
Registered Member

Angel looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 03:59 AM   #65
rlhanks
Registered Member

TRAGIC!! To be able to master the chemistry that takes a small piece of living calcium glued to a ceramic disk to something the size of a five gallon bucket. And, not only one piece but several pieces. That sucks. The big hurdle I would have to jump is not if I wanted to start over but how would the wife react to this event. I'm sure she wouldn't say no but there certainly would be that roll your eyes and shake your head look.

I'm sure it will all work out in the end. Good Luck

Most equipment are DIY

Current Tank Info: 5'x2'x2', BLDC7, maxspect gyre250, T5HO and LED's, Home made welded steel tubular stand wrapped in wood work.
rlhanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2017, 07:51 AM   #66
McPuff
Registered Member

Just put the tiny annularis in TTM #3 last night. I have to say this fish is looking really good so far. Actually quite thick for such a small fish. It eats Nori and pellets very well. Not sure how much it's eating frozen meaty foods but I assume so. It has been so long since I last bought an angel and I had forgotten how tough they are and how much they like to eat. A bit different than bringing in a tiny tang. The angels always seem to be a bit more social and aggressive feeders, but that is likely not a surprise to anyone. Very happy with the purchase.

Eating some Nori:

annularis_nori.jpg

The PVC is 4" for reference and the tank is a 12" cube I made out of acrylic. I made two of them and they are absolutely PERFECT for TTM.

juv_annularis_TTM.jpg

One more TTM switch on Friday. Then Monday it will go into the 20 gal QT tank.

Unread 11/29/2017, 08:40 AM   #67
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Awesome! It's great you're demonstrating your quarantine method for the rest of us qt slackers. Nice work on your ttm tanks too! Lucky fish, getting the 'McPuff Treatment'.

Unread 11/30/2017, 07:14 AM   #68
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Awesome! It's great you're demonstrating your quarantine method for the rest of us qt slackers. Nice work on your ttm tanks too! Lucky fish, getting the 'McPuff Treatment'.
Ha! Thanks Michael. My last several fish have also been quite healthy upon arrival so that has been helpful for sure! Just gotta hope the next 6-10 arrivals are just as healthy, peppy, and hungry!

My wife is starting to think there's a lot going on in the "utility" room... as if I'm taking up too much room for fish stuff. I'm not sure why she is complaining. I have provided at least 20% of the space for season decoration and food storage! What does she expect, 30%?? :0)

Unread 11/30/2017, 08:45 AM   #69
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It's a delicate balance with the wives isn't it? What do they want, a nice home? We have important scientific work to be done!

Unread 12/06/2017, 07:22 AM   #70
McPuff
Registered Member

The annularis has completed the TTM protocol with no issues whatsoever, not that I would have expected anything from a captive bred fish. I moved him over to a 20 gal QT tank just on Monday night. I noticed a very slight cloudiness on one eye so watching that closely. It could have happened during the transfer but I used my hand so who knows. Doesn't seem overly comfortable in the QT yet and doesn't even use the structure I've provided. I have seen him eat pellets and he's been tearing apart nori as well. Still a chubby guy and does seem to be gaining a little confidence. It's possible that he has never been in a tank with live rock before so maybe that is a little foreign to him so far. Hoping to keep him in this tank for a couple weeks and then switch into the lagoon. Fish really seem to thrive in there.

As I noted previously, I fed food medicated with metronidazole for a couple weeks in the display. This was simply to ensure the pyroferus tang didn't have any internal parasites. It didn't seem to be putting on weight as fast as I might have expected. Anyway, since completing this treatment I have noticed the fish is certainly getting thicker. This could be coincidental though as I have also increased the amount of food in the past month, most notably nori. I am now feeding an entire sheet every day. It is amazing how FAT the tangs and foxface have become. The small naso (started as 3") is finally starting to grow noticeably... it will not be long until it catches and surpasses the other fish. This is definitely the best "luck" I've ever had with a small juvenile naso tang so I'm very excited by it.

Still working on getting a tiny blueface angel from the LFS. I know that DD has them but it's not captive bred (none are) so I may as well just get one locally.

Unread 12/06/2017, 07:25 AM   #71
McPuff
Registered Member

Here is a little update video describing a little more about the system overall and the annularis.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2WLn1M-Znf8/h...FL6mh6cNvXZXqg

Unread 12/06/2017, 09:13 AM   #72
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

You are getting some great fish going! Jealous! Thanks again for schooling us on proper QT. Best of luck with your new baby! I couldn't open the link.

Unread 12/07/2017, 07:25 AM   #73
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
You are getting some great fish going! Jealous! Thanks again for schooling us on proper QT. Best of luck with your new baby! I couldn't open the link.
Thanks Michael, it's nice to see how doing things the right way actually pans out! Imagine that!! :0)

The little annularis is looking happier today. It's eating the nori and all the pellets I can throw in. It is also beginning to actually venture into the structure I have provided. I think putting paper underneath the tank helped to make it feel more secure. May be crazy but I feel like it has grown appreciably in the two weeks I've had it. Definitely a fan of the Bali Aquarich captive bred fish! It is very easy to see the difference between cb and wild caught.

Unread 12/07/2017, 09:28 AM   #74
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Captive bred is the way forward. Props to you for reducing collection pressure on our oceans. I'm sure you paid a significant up charge to do so.

I haven't heard of Bali Aquarich. Do they sell directly or through your LFS?

Unread 12/08/2017, 08:41 AM   #75
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Captive bred is the way forward. Props to you for reducing collection pressure on our oceans. I'm sure you paid a significant up charge to do so.

I haven't heard of Bali Aquarich. Do they sell directly or through your LFS?
Actually they do a number of angels. Another one to check out is Poma Labs. Mind you, the former does more "regular" angels and the latter breeds more of the high end species like conspicuous, bandits, masked, etc. They can fetch prices over $5k for a small juvenile.

I bought mine from Divers Den. Price wasn't too bad... not sure if I'm allowed to say the price but it was $130 which also meant free shipping. So actually it wasn't much more than a wild caught had I bought it from my LFS.

Speaking of LFS, they just got in my tiny juvenile Blueface Angel yesterday!! Last night I set up TTM #1 and I'm going to pick it up today!!! It's a bit bigger than the annularis (maybe 1/4") and also looks fairly thick. While I have put these species together in the past, I'm going to be careful when introducing them together. I'll probably split the QT tank in half for a week or so to let them get acquainted. Exciting day though!!