Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2013, 08:16 PM   #101
Scythanith
Premium Member

Does anyone have personal experience with the RK2 ozone generators? I am looking at buying their 300mg/hr unit. Also, would you be content using the Profilux system to control and monitor the ORP or would you buy the RK2 monitor controller? I personally feel that the Profilux should do the job just fine, but am open to everyones suggestions!

Cheers,
Scott

Scythanith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2013, 09:25 AM   #102
dahenley
Registered Member

theres a person here named "MrWillson"
he is taking care of someones tank and he used a RK2 skimmer and there ozone. you might ask him as he has first hand experience with those and the Profilux control system.

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2013, 09:52 AM   #103
dave.m
Registered Member

The thread you are referring to belongs to member nineball, and yes, mr.wilson takes care of it. The thread starts here and continues here. They added a head cleaner to the RK2 and thoroughly panned the Profilux in frustration, eventually converting over to the Neptune.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2013, 09:33 PM   #104
Scythanith
Premium Member

Yep I have been reading that thread fairly religiously. I asked nineball and Mr.Wilson about their Abyzz pumps and plumbing a little while back and they were very helpful. I know they switched from GHL to Neptune, but it was due to a lack of customer support, no because of a poor product. I have a good support network around me for Profilux assistance, but none for the Apex. Hence the choice I made.

I heard back from RK2 (excellent customer service so far!) and they said there should be no problem using the Profilux to control their ozone generator.

Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate the feedback and idea sharing!

Unread 10/16/2013, 01:18 PM   #105
tassod
Registered Member

Scythanith,

This is a pretty amazing build, i'm very impressed by it. I'm from Montreal but I live in IL now. I just ordered a custom acrylic tank, 72"L x 32"w x24"t ( i would have gone with 36" wide but it wont get through my hallway to get to the basement). I'm going with a 36" coast to coast internal overflow plumbed for a beanAnimal style. Got a question about how you have setup your return with the manifold. I also want to set it up like this and I currently have 2 reeflo BH1450's (1 is a backup and not in use) on my 125g tank. Can I use both of these pumps to run my new tank with a return manifold like yours or would you suggest using a different pump like a reeflo Dart? I am not familiar with the return pumps you are using. I was thinking i could use each of my BH1450's to power 3 returns for a total of 6 returns. Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

tassod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2013, 06:59 PM   #106
dahenley
Registered Member

on a side note....
why are you choosing RK2 for ozone?
why not use OZOTECH?

i only ask, because ozotech deals 100% with ozone and from what i have read, they are in a different ballpark compared to most aquarium ozone generators.
(Disclamer..... i have 0 experience with them or any connection with them...)

i just have been looking and reading because i plant on running a little on my new aquarium setup.

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
Unread 10/16/2013, 07:17 PM   #107
Scythanith
Premium Member

Thanks a lot tassod!

So let me wrap my head around what you're asking. You want to run both pumps together to feed the returns to the main display tank AND to run a manifold to feed accessory equipment (GFO, Carbon, etc)? Keep in mind my top pump goes directly to the display tank. The bottom pump feeds the manifold and returns clean water to the top sump. They are two independent systems.

On to your tank. Worst case scenario you have 6' of head heigh and one pump can push ~1200 GPH. So two plumbed together may be able to double that, assuming you're using large enough piping. The tank really only needs ~5x turnover so that uses up one of the pumps capacity. The second pump would be more than enough to feed the manifold. The tricky part would be plumbing it so that if one pump quits when you're not around, the flow from the other pump doesn't take the path of least resistance and go right back into your sump through the other pump. In my original design I was going to have two return pumps in the top sump. They were both going to utilize GF check valves to ensure if one pump failed the flow from the second pump will sill go into the display tank. plus they would have union ball valves to make for easy maintenance. When it comes to the returns in the tank, I have locline valves on all of my returns so I can regulate the flow.

I have not used the reeflo's, and to be honest I think they discontinued the BH line, so I don't know what that says about their reliability. You may be better off to buy a quality single DC pump to handle the task. Think about your needs:

How much "through sump" flow do you want? I'd suggest 5x the tank volume.
How much flow does your manifold require? Many reactors are ~100-200 GPH.
Do you want to have to maintain one pump or two? One is cheaper, two means backup if one fails.
Quality check valves (still not fool proof) are ~$100 a piece, do you want that added expense?

A huge percentage of reefers use a single pump to run their systems. It just gets touchy to balance out flow to the accessory equipment. If I was feeding the skimmer off the pump, I'd have a stand alone pump to run the manifold. That type of equipment requires a consistent water height to operate at its best.

My manifold will feed a couple reactors who's flow isn't critical, hence why I have the lower pump running double duty, return to tomp sump and feeding the manifold. Just for comparison sakes: A200 (top pump, 200w) is ~3800 GPH, A100 (bottom pump, 100w) is ~2100 GPH.

I hope that helps!
Scott

Unread 10/16/2013, 07:23 PM   #108
Scythanith
Premium Member

I recognize RK2 from commercial aquarium institutions, so my thought is if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me The ozone generator has been one of the biggest x-factor purchases to make. There isn't a ton of material to find on them. Also, nineball uses RK2 equipment on his 1350g, and he doesn't skimp on anything. Good enough for him, good enough for me lol!

Please link to any info you have suggesting one is better than the other and I will read it!

Cheers,
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahenley View Post
on a side note....
why are you choosing RK2 for ozone?
why not use OZOTECH?

i only ask, because ozotech deals 100% with ozone and from what i have read, they are in a different ballpark compared to most aquarium ozone generators.
(Disclamer..... i have 0 experience with them or any connection with them...)

i just have been looking and reading because i plant on running a little on my new aquarium setup.

Unread 10/16/2013, 07:31 PM   #109
dahenley
Registered Member

the RK2 ozone and skimmer was a part of an origional plan a while back....... it was suggested because it was big (i believe) (nineballs origional plan was to use bioballs with a UV and the RK2... and that has significantly changed)

there isnt a lot of info on the RK2..
RK2 got big a while back because no one was making anything for big tanks... or commercial tanks. not because they are the best....

you might ask mr. willson because i believe he has been in the industry for a while and owned and operated and what not many of tanks. he might say they are fine or suggest something else.

i only asked because i have read that RK2 skimmers are not best... but they are popular because of size.. (non efficient as well)

ozotech only does ozone.. so i figured they might be better. (but as i said... i am no expert and have never used either of the companies talked about)

Unread 10/16/2013, 08:55 PM   #110
Scythanith
Premium Member

Thanks dahenley. The way I look at an ozone generator is fairly simple. It's a device that creates ozone. The complexity of the system comes in when you incorporate the reaction chamber, air pump, air dryer, ORP controller and sensors. Those are all from companies that are well regarded in their individual fields. As long as the ozone generator creates ozone, my system will work That was optimism there haahaa!

I also looked at Del Ozone, Cleartech (which I believe RK2 uses), RedSea, and Ozotech. It came down to what other high end systems were using.

Unread 10/16/2013, 09:07 PM   #111
tassod
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
Thanks a lot tassod!

So let me wrap my head around what you're asking. You want to run both pumps together to feed the returns to the main display tank AND to run a manifold to feed accessory equipment (GFO, Carbon, etc)? Keep in mind my top pump goes directly to the display tank. The bottom pump feeds the manifold and returns clean water to the top sump. They are two independent systems.

On to your tank. Worst case scenario you have 6' of head heigh and one pump can push ~1200 GPH. So two plumbed together may be able to double that, assuming you're using large enough piping. The tank really only needs ~5x turnover so that uses up one of the pumps capacity. The second pump would be more than enough to feed the manifold. The tricky part would be plumbing it so that if one pump quits when you're not around, the flow from the other pump doesn't take the path of least resistance and go right back into your sump through the other pump. In my original design I was going to have two return pumps in the top sump. They were both going to utilize GF check valves to ensure if one pump failed the flow from the second pump will sill go into the display tank. plus they would have union ball valves to make for easy maintenance. When it comes to the returns in the tank, I have locline valves on all of my returns so I can regulate the flow.

I have not used the reeflo's, and to be honest I think they discontinued the BH line, so I don't know what that says about their reliability. You may be better off to buy a quality single DC pump to handle the task. Think about your needs:

How much "through sump" flow do you want? I'd suggest 5x the tank volume.
How much flow does your manifold require? Many reactors are ~100-200 GPH.
Do you want to have to maintain one pump or two? One is cheaper, two means backup if one fails.
Quality check valves (still not fool proof) are ~$100 a piece, do you want that added expense?

A huge percentage of reefers use a single pump to run their systems. It just gets touchy to balance out flow to the accessory equipment. If I was feeding the skimmer off the pump, I'd have a stand alone pump to run the manifold. That type of equipment requires a consistent water height to operate at its best.

My manifold will feed a couple reactors who's flow isn't critical, hence why I have the lower pump running double duty, return to tomp sump and feeding the manifold. Just for comparison sakes: A200 (top pump, 200w) is ~3800 GPH, A100 (bottom pump, 100w) is ~2100 GPH.

I hope that helps!
Scott
Thank you for the reply Scott, I agree I think I will stick to using one main return pump. I've had good experience with reeflo (using that now and never had a problem and it is dead silent) and I think I will stick with them. I'm looking at the Barracuda series pumps, do you think that would be to much flow?

Again, I will be feeding GFO and carbon reactors, UV sterilizer, then it will go up to my main DT and split off to a perimeter manifold of 6 returns to the main tank. The tank will be drilled on top like yours with 1" holes for the returns

Unread 10/16/2013, 09:23 PM   #112
R.W.
Registered Member

Now this is a gorgeous set-up! I want to purchase the basement from you! Keep up the good work! My favourite part of getting a new tank is constructing/assembling everything. I almost purchased an Abyzz pump a couple months ago but decided to wait until my next tank.

I look forward to more updates!

R.W.

Unread 10/16/2013, 10:53 PM   #113
Scythanith
Premium Member

tassod, I don't think it's too much horsepower but I personally would rather have too much than too little. Say you get ~3000GPH out of it. Your 250g tank requires ~1250GPH to get 5x turnover. That leaves you ~1750 GPH to play with. That's a lot of flow.... a lot. If that doesn't feed your accessory equipment then you're trying to run another 250 off the manifold lol! Honestly I'd put more flow into your display tank, depending on what your overflow can handle. I'm not up on my overflow capabilities so I couldn't help you there. It may not be the worst idea to look at the Dart. ~2500 GPH so there would be less wasted horsepower. It all comes down to what your overflow can handle. Would you rather have flow from your return pump or from power heads?

What flow does your GFO, Carbon reactor and UV sterilizer require? The dart uses ~160 watts whereas the barracuda uses ~250 watts. Why waste watts on a ball valve?

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Scythanith; 10/16/2013 at 11:13 PM.
Unread 10/16/2013, 11:23 PM   #114
Scythanith
Premium Member

Haahaa thanks! Not for sale, unless you want the rest of the house as well The construction is a love hate relationship. I enjoy doing my parts, but despise waiting on contractors to do their parts. I am actually surprised now when a contractor does what I pay them for. That's sad.

The Abyzz is new to me as well. I am pretty excited to get them purring. The A100 is supposed to be on its way now as well!

I just ordered my live rock. ~100lbs of Walt Smith premium fiji and ~75lbs of pukani. I hope to get it into the tank before a knee surgery I have coming up on the 1st. Let the tank cycle and get happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W. View Post
Now this is a gorgeous set-up! I want to purchase the basement from you! Keep up the good work! My favourite part of getting a new tank is constructing/assembling everything. I almost purchased an Abyzz pump a couple months ago but decided to wait until my next tank.

I look forward to more updates!

R.W.

Unread 10/16/2013, 11:32 PM   #115
tassod
Registered Member

Quote:
tassod, I don't think it's too much horsepower but I personally would rather have too much than too little. Say you get ~3000GPH out of it. Your 250g tank requires ~1250GPH to get 5x turnover. That leaves you ~1750 GPH to play with. That's a lot of flow.... a lot. If that doesn't feed your accessory equipment then you're trying to run another 250 off the manifold lol! Honestly I'd put more flow into your display tank, depending on what your overflow can handle. I'm not up on my overflow capabilities so I couldn't help you there. It may not be the worst idea to look at the Dart. ~2500 GPH so there would be less wasted horsepower. It all comes down to what your overflow can handle. Would you rather have flow from your return pump or from power heads?

What flow does your GFO, Carbon reactor and UV sterilizer require? The dart uses ~160 watts whereas the barracuda uses ~250 watts. Why waste watts on a ball valve?

Hope that helps!
Thanks again Scott, you make a good point. Mind you, if I got great flow just from the returns, i could eliminate power heads...

Unread 10/17/2013, 12:29 AM   #116
Scythanith
Premium Member

Return flows seem to be so linear. Maybe if you put a rotating assembly on the output you can get a little more variable flow! I like the random nature of programmable power heads.

Unread 10/17/2013, 12:40 AM   #117
Hurting2Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassod View Post
Mind you, if I got great flow just from the returns, i could eliminate power heads...
Don't laugh too much. That's exactly the option I choose because I can't stand staring at a bunch of big powerheads on/in my tank. I use locline on the returns and can direct my flow exactly where I want it, including lower down in the tank without blowing my fine sand all over. Throw a ball valve on each return and you can get pretty exact about where and at what rate your flow goes. I use a single Stream pump tucked in to the corner of a 180 gal tank and have more than enough flow when combined with the returns.

As far as the Dart vs the Barracuda wattage, keep in mind that if you have higher head pressure (ie 10'+), the Dart's flow curve drops off rapidly. Yes, you will use more energy with the Barracuda but given how much time and money goes in to our tanks I find that the few extra dollars/mo are worth the benefit of a clean look and added flexibility.

Lastly, I'm a big believer in making sure that the water is always near oxygen saturation. Driving more flow through the drain and sump keeps my DO and off gassing at max all the time without needing a lot of surface turbulence.

Last edited by Hurting2Ride; 10/17/2013 at 12:51 AM.
Hurting2Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2013, 08:35 AM   #118
tassod
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurting2Ride View Post
Don't laugh too much. That's exactly the option I choose because I can't stand staring at a bunch of big powerheads on/in my tank. I use locline on the returns and can direct my flow exactly where I want it, including lower down in the tank without blowing my fine sand all over. Throw a ball valve on each return and you can get pretty exact about where and at what rate your flow goes. I use a single Stream pump tucked in to the corner of a 180 gal tank and have more than enough flow when combined with the returns.

As far as the Dart vs the Barracuda wattage, keep in mind that if you have higher head pressure (ie 10'+), the Dart's flow curve drops off rapidly. Yes, you will use more energy with the Barracuda but given how much time and money goes in to our tanks I find that the few extra dollars/mo are worth the benefit of a clean look and added flexibility.

Lastly, I'm a big believer in making sure that the water is always near oxygen saturation. Driving more flow through the drain and sump keeps my DO and off gassing at max all the time without needing a lot of surface turbulence.
This is exactly my thought, i will be going with a barracuda pump and will probably sell my 2 mp40's and get back some money as well! This will help me sleep better at night as I have 4 carpet anemones and I wont have to worry about them walking into a power head anymore.

Unread 10/17/2013, 10:59 AM   #119
Scythanith
Premium Member

Guess you guys don't need me here....

Unread 10/17/2013, 11:11 AM   #120
tassod
Registered Member

Quote:
Guess you guys don't need me here....
We will always need you! Can you post some more pics of the top of your tank, would like to see how all the returns are plumbed...

Unread 10/17/2013, 12:09 PM   #121
Scythanith
Premium Member

I haven't finished it yet. I will finish it when I get home on the 24th and take some pictures. Essentially I have 1 1/2" plumbing from the abyzz A200 -> a union with a 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" bushing -> 1 1/4" plumbing over the tank. Over each hole in the eurobrace I have a 1 1/4" x 3/4" bushing -> ~3" piece of 3/4" pipe -> 90º elbow with threaded end -> 3/4" locline valve -> locline outlet. Only downfall... once glued it won't be able to be taken apart without cutting. Threading everything is the other option, I'd rather glue.

I had to buy a 3 way LT and a 4 way LT from an online retailer to make some unique connections. I'm glad I ordered extra since the neck on the special parts were longer than normal T's and I have very limited head space. I needed to take the spare ones and cut the neck down so the bushing fit a little deeper into the fitting.

Easy peasy

I'm all about random flow! I will have 4 mp40's on my tank, as well as the abyzz A200 pumping through the returns. All in all, I can have ~16000 GPH. Combine that with the BK250 Double cone, I don't think oxygenation will be issue in my case Keeping the sand in the tank might though.

Last edited by Scythanith; 10/17/2013 at 01:04 PM.
Unread 10/17/2013, 12:53 PM   #122
tassod
Registered Member

How big where your holes on top of the tank in the euro bracing? I'm having mine cut for 1" schedule 80 bulkheads

Unread 10/17/2013, 01:09 PM   #123
Scythanith
Premium Member

Mine are 1" holes. They fit 3/4" plumbing. I'm not using uniseals or bulkheads.

Unread 10/28/2013, 09:53 AM   #124
jacob.morgan78
Registered Member

Great thread! The attention to detail is awesome!

Looking forward to those updates!

Thanks for sharing

jacob.morgan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2013, 10:45 AM   #125
Scythanith
Premium Member

Let there be updates!

It has begun! Damn is my RODI slow! I have the 100psi booster on there and it's still painfully slow.

Return plumbing is 90% done. I just have to paint the 90's black and glue them in!

Tags
abyzz