Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/02/2018, 03:20 PM   #476
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post
Sure thing! Jeremy made the mounts himself from bicycle brake lines. If you want more details, let me know and I’ll have him chime in. We made sure they were hooked up, but removable with the clips should we need to move the lights at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting

I'm after something like this so I can moved up and down

And looking to move on a rail left and right

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 06:05 PM   #477
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpeg View Post
Interesting

I'm after something like this so I can moved up and down

And looking to move on a rail left and right

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Unfortunately with these it’s permanent for height, it has a set screw on it.

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 06:59 AM   #478
McPuff
Registered Member

Are those pieces of brake calipers in your hanging setup? How cool! Definitely a great use of [I assume] used brake cables!

The nori feeder is very cool. I am amazed at how much nori your fish are eating. I thought 1 sheet a day was a lot for my fish! :0)

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 08:24 AM   #479
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Are those pieces of brake calipers in your hanging setup? How cool! Definitely a great use of [I assume] used brake cables!

The nori feeder is very cool. I am amazed at how much nori your fish are eating. I thought 1 sheet a day was a lot for my fish! :0)

They sure are! We own a bicycle shop, so naturally they came right to mind. We used all new components for the build, but definitely would use used if a person had it on hand.

I’m so in love with the new nori feeders, so easy to change without a hassle.

They are consuming a ton, and would eat more if I would add it. I will slowly take it back a few sheets a day once the aggression simmers down a bit. For now, it’s the only thing encouraging the Blue hippo to come out of it’s small area where it stays confined swimming in. (Which is thankfully along the front, lol). Having both clips full at all times seems to alleviate a bit of the powder Browns aggression. I can tell when one clip is empty, as it (powder brown) gets a lot more protective of the other.

The desi sailfin is super super fat. She’s a beast and already so wide.

Unread 01/03/2018, 09:04 AM   #480
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Awhile back a frag fell between the rocks, by the time I got to looking for it, it seemed to be gone. This was about April of last year. Just noticed yesterday it’s about 5” tall now and peaking its tips out of a crevice not seen from the front! Exciting.

Unread 01/04/2018, 07:58 AM   #481
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
They sure are! We own a bicycle shop, so naturally they came right to mind. We used all new components for the build, but definitely would use used if a person had it on hand.
What?! That is super cool! Do you mind sharing which one? You can PM me if you want. :0)

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 08:02 AM   #482
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
What?! That is super cool! Do you mind sharing which one? You can PM me if you want. :0)

Of course! Dan’s Bike Shop in Ionia.

Invitation is still open should you ever get up this way. Would be nice to have an experienced friend to stop by and see our setup.

Unread 02/13/2018, 01:35 PM   #483
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Open invitation to anyone who maybe near us in Michigan - Free SPS frags to whomever would like. Unmounted and freshly cut when you’re here, free for the taking.

Only thing we ask in return is that when you’re ready to frag, you pay it forward from that colony and give away free as well. Hopefully we can help out some fellow reefers getting started in SPS or the hobby.

Unread 02/14/2018, 07:28 AM   #484
soflo_chuck
Registered Member

What amazing progress! Looks great!

soflo_chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 11:16 AM   #485
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflo_chuck View Post
What amazing progress! Looks great!

Thank you!! Just mounted 14 New SPS frags yesterday. Can’t wait to see it all fill in. Although I noticed 3 of them fell overnight, 2 of which I’m happy because I realized they’d be better in different spots, they must have known I wanted to move them already

Unread 02/14/2018, 09:11 PM   #486
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Unread 02/15/2018, 10:29 AM   #487
iced98lx
Registered Member

Looking awesome!! Your growth is great!

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 02:05 PM   #488
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
Looking awesome!! Your growth is great!

Thanks! Need to get some more fish in for sure. With such a strict QT process, it’s hard with my work travel schedule. Hopefully in the coming months. I want to get some flasher wrasses in, possibly some anthias and a few others. Definitely have some research to do on both mentioned, I’m new to both kinds.

Unread 02/16/2018, 09:08 AM   #489
mcreefster
Registered Member

This is an intriguing thread for me on many levels. One, it's an interesting shaped tanked that's well integrated into the room. Two, it's developing into a gorgeous reef. Three, you're fellow Michiganders. And last but not least......a wife that is equally involved with the reef? A unicorn! �� Here I thought I was lucky in having a wife that tolerates my obsessions.

You two have a great looking reef and I look forward to learning much from your build as I prepare to get back into reefing after an 8 year absence. Thanks for sharing your build with us.

mcreefster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 12:11 PM   #490
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreefster View Post
This is an intriguing thread for me on many levels. One, it's an interesting shaped tanked that's well integrated into the room. Two, it's developing into a gorgeous reef. Three, you're fellow Michiganders. And last but not least......a wife that is equally involved with the reef? A unicorn! í*½í¸€ Here I thought I was lucky in having a wife that tolerates my obsessions.

You two have a great looking reef and I look forward to learning much from your build as I prepare to get back into reefing after an 8 year absence. Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Wow, thank you for the compliments. We really tried to integrate the tank into the flow of the room as much as possible, we appreciate the positive feedback on this!

It sure is turning into quite the Reef and feels so good! I’m working to slowly include more acros/milles and possibly remove some of the birds nest while everything matures. We shall see how it pulls together.

Michigander! Yayy! PM me what area you live in if you don’t want to post it. We’re near Grand Rapids/Lansing.

We have been blessed to both love reefing. Thankfully my husband loves the “mechanical” part of reefing and all of the pieces of a working system on a larger setup like ours. It’s definitely a shared hobby, and we thoroughly enjoy it. Plus we keep each other in check on the “chores” in reefing, the less fun stuff to do! Hah.

When we came back into the hobby, we just returned from an 8 year hiatus also. Sooo much has changed, so much more seems to be known. Such a great thing to see the hobby and equipment to keep progressing.

Unread 02/23/2018, 12:58 PM   #491
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

So I believe you all have seen how we have our lights hanging. I’ve been tossing around the idea of supplementing our Radions with t5’s. I haven’t started researching them yet, how to incorporate them with our current lighting in terms of mounting, etc. any pointers you want to provide, not only product suggestion but possibly hanging suggestions as well, we are all ears.

Reason for considering t5’s is the shadowing, our colonies are getting to the point of being mature, large colonies. Within them, we’re losing color on the undersides of the colonies. This is not news or surprising, we knew this coming into LEDs and I didn’t think I would care. Now that I’m venturing into mid-higher level SPS, I’d really like to turn up our lighting game.

Last edited by MrsReefK; 02/23/2018 at 02:21 PM.
Unread 02/24/2018, 09:36 AM   #492
mcreefster
Registered Member

Things sure have changed and I'm trying to get caught up with them. I'm considering a 6'x6'x30" high SPS tank. I'll need to get a lot of things done elsewhere in the house to get that to fly with the lady of the house!

Metro Detroit here. Since you're near GR, pick me up a 12 pack Dirty Bastard from Founders ��

That's a perfect relationship you and Mr K have.....both into reefing and a division of labor. My wife and I have developed the " don't ask, don't tell" policy and that works quite well �� So she thinks corals cost $4.99, that won't hurt her! Lol. If only she was that gullible.

Looking forward to seeing your reef progress. Keep up the good work!

mcreefster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 08:59 PM   #493
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
So I believe you all have seen how we have our lights hanging. I’ve been tossing around the idea of supplementing our Radions with t5’s. I haven’t started researching them yet, how to incorporate them with our current lighting in terms of mounting, etc. any pointers you want to provide, not only product suggestion but possibly hanging suggestions as well, we are all ears.

Reason for considering t5’s is the shadowing, our colonies are getting to the point of being mature, large colonies. Within them, we’re losing color on the undersides of the colonies. This is not news or surprising, we knew this coming into LEDs and I didn’t think I would care. Now that I’m venturing into mid-higher level SPS, I’d really like to turn up our lighting game.

Adding T5's was one of the best things I've done to my tank. I love the look, extra PAR and lack of shadow issues.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 08:32 AM   #494
SonoranReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure thing! Jeremy made the mounts himself from bicycle brake lines. If you want more details, let me know and I’ll have him chime in. We made sure they were hooked up, but removable with the clips should we need to move the lights at all.

First, wow beautiful set up! Those little screws with the eyes in your Radions, are those available anywhere or are they a radion part? Thank you for the updates!

SonoranReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2018, 07:17 AM   #495
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoranReefer View Post
First, wow beautiful set up! Those little screws with the eyes in your Radions, are those available anywhere or are they a radion part? Thank you for the updates!

Thank you! I asked Jeremy (husband) on the screws. He said it’s been so long he doesn’t recall. He believes they came with the Radions. I did a quick google search and it looks like they are available from radion as well. So it is is possible we bought them separate, but he’s leaning towards they came with them. Sorry I don’t have a better answer!

Unread 02/26/2018, 08:13 AM   #496
SonoranReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you! I asked Jeremy (husband) on the screws. He said it’s been so long he doesn’t recall. He believes they came with the Radions. I did a quick google search and it looks like they are available from radion as well. So it is is possible we bought them separate, but he’s leaning towards they came with them. Sorry I don’t have a better answer!

No worries, I am just thinking going about switching from Kessil to Radions if not now, but on my next build so was interested. Thanks for looking into it!

SonoranReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 11:16 AM   #497
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

What new nori feeders are you loving?

Unread 02/27/2018, 01:04 PM   #498
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Music View Post
What new nori feeders are you loving?

We made our own, should be a few pages back. Here’s so snapshots of them. We made them so we don’t have to climb the ladder each time to feed nori, and don’t have to get our hands wet! In the first pic, they’re held on by the “clips” you see on the right and left of the tank. And the last pic you can see them both in the tank, one on the right, one on the left.

Unread 02/27/2018, 08:36 PM   #499
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

That is pretty cool. I made mine out of acrylic! No wet hands or dropped clips for me too.

Unread 02/27/2018, 08:38 PM   #500
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Music View Post
That is pretty cool. I made mine out of acrylic! No wet hands or dropped clips for me too.

That’s awesome! It’s crazy the difference it makes not having to get your hands wet. Plus I live with the theory of keeping my hands out of the tank as much as possible, so a win win.