Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2009, 04:16 PM   #1
jadeguppy
Registered Member

green spotted puffer

Is this puffer reef "safe"? I have a 125g mixed reef with mostly peaceful fish. The puffer had been kept with a cleaner shrimp in the past. Anyone experienced with these?

jadeguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2009, 07:46 PM   #2
saltjohnswharf
Conscientious Member

A GSP is technically brackish. Full grown I have seen them in saltwater tanks but like any puffer they will eat hard coral like candy. Wears their teeth down. Soft coral is very easy fare. Although technically speaking not reef safe it can be done if the population of coral is huge and the puffer is fed well enough to leave them alone. Either way it is a risk. My GSP ate mussels like mad. perhaps these may help yours stay full and stay away from coral and other inverts.

Think before you buy

Current Tank Info: 27 gallon Dying Reef Biotope
saltjohnswharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2009, 08:33 PM   #3
stumpovrtyme
Reef Junkie

I tried mine in my reef and he started eating everything within about 45min. I yanked him out and put him with my snowflake eel who tried to eat him so he ended up right back in the 10g. he started in. One of my buddies tried it and his has never bothered anything including his shrimps. I would say it depends on how they were raised or where they have lived previously and how there fed.

My spelling sucks I know! Im a reefer not a teacher!

Current Tank Info: 90 g. display, 55 g. planted tank/fuge,and 30g. sump
stumpovrtyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2009, 01:48 PM   #4
jadeguppy
Registered Member

I do have tons of snails breeding in the tank, so it would have plenty of them to eat to wear down its teeth. It was kept with soft corals and a shrimp with no reported problems. However, I have 4 clams and a mixed tank with sps. My fish are all peaceful. How would you rate the safety level based on this information?

Unread 06/02/2009, 02:46 PM   #5
rjbesch
Registered Member

GSP are tricky. I have mine in a 20L with several mollies and he doesn't bother the fish even when they have babies. There are manyarticles on the internet that actually state that as the gsp reaches its adult life, it will do better ina full marine system. Mine is doing very well in my bracksih system at 1.015 right now. But like with most puffers, it will be a hit and a miss in your tank. They are beautiful fish, but I don't think jeapordizing several hundred dollars worth of coral is worth a $6 fish, but again that is just my opinion.

rjbesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2009, 04:13 PM   #6
saltjohnswharf
Conscientious Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jadeguppy
I do have tons of snails breeding in the tank, so it would have plenty of them to eat to wear down its teeth. It was kept with soft corals and a shrimp with no reported problems. However, I have 4 clams and a mixed tank with sps. My fish are all peaceful. How would you rate the safety level based on this information?
Having the snails is good as this is part of their staple diet. My experience is a large GSP will rip apart many smaller fish. They are aggressive and like most puffers they can be pretty relentless. Especially with easy food choices like SPS!

Think before you buy

Unread 06/02/2009, 05:13 PM   #7
terryagi
Registered Member

I have been keeping a GSP in my reef tank for over a year now. It has never bothered any softies. It also has not bothered the SPS since they were added a few months ago either. The skunk cleaner is allowed to clean him, but he does bite at fish substantially smaller than him.

terryagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2009, 05:26 PM   #8
saltjohnswharf
Conscientious Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lsu_terry
I have been keeping a GSP in my reef tank for over a year now. It has never bothered any softies. It also has not bothered the SPS since they were added a few months ago either. The skunk cleaner is allowed to clean him, but he does bite at fish substantially smaller than him.
Sounds like a good success story. It is not impossible. I actually gave up doing this myself. Love to see a pic of a skunk cleaning a GSP if you have one! I actually have never seen any puffer letting a skunk clean it. Gobies yes but not shrimp.

Think before you buy

Unread 06/02/2009, 05:27 PM   #9
jadeguppy
Registered Member

HOw big is your puffer?

Unread 06/02/2009, 07:00 PM   #10
bobbyjeb
Registered Member

this is puff daddy. the first fish i put in my tank. he is truely
a camera bug. his favorite food is meal worms, with snales out of the garden a close second. he has such a great personality.
i have two anemoneas and a few fish. He doesn't seem to bother anything. I have never seen his let the cleaner shrimp do
his thing.

bobbyjeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2009, 07:20 PM   #11
jadeguppy
Registered Member

You have him with other aggressive fish. I guess my husband gets his wish on a tank of damsels and I get my maroon clown. I already have a damsel (same as yours) and wtchman goby in the tank along with some peppermint shrimp. I plan to add a algae eatin blenny soon, possibly a pgyme angel one day. Sounds like I just need to get the sps moved to the other tank and everything should be okay. You have given me hope.

Unread 06/04/2009, 03:25 PM   #12
jadeguppy
Registered Member

HOw much flow do you guys have in your puffer tanks?

I replaced a barely working powerhead with a maxi-600 w/ sure-flow mod and it didn't look like it liked the flow. I'm just not sure if that is because he got injured yesterday and has a damaged fin and belly or if it is normal for them not to handle the flow. BTW, the puffer is in a 40g long.

Unread 06/04/2009, 05:00 PM   #13
terryagi
Registered Member

My GSP isn't housed with aggressive fish. The puffer is about three inches long and is housed with two bangaii cards, a medium-sized copperband, a royal gramma, a small (~1.5") dragonette, and the skunk cleaner shrimp.

I am running a koralia 2 and a small return pump (250gph, i think). When I added the K2, the puffer was blown around (as were the other fish) until they got used to it. Now, all of the fish handle it with no problem.

Unread 06/04/2009, 07:40 PM   #14
jadeguppy
Registered Member

OKay. I'll give him a few days to heal and then try turning the pump back on.

Unread 06/05/2009, 05:05 PM   #15
mercenariaqueen
Registered Member

I keep my 3 year old puffer in a 40 G saltwater tank, currently with one cromis. He's fully marine (slowly acclimated over 6 months, starting at about 6 months old). I've got a number of LPS and softies, all of which he leaves alone.

I think that with puffers, acclimation is crucial. It is very important that you slowly acclimate the fish to saltwater AND living with other creatures (instead of devouring them on site!). I started mine out in brackish water (he was bought as a brackish fish) and kept some brackish snails and some empty hermit crab shells. I slowly increased the salt over a number of months, then set up the saltwater tank, and added a couple of cromis damsels. The damsels were already in the tank when I added my puffer, and I think this was key. Only one damsel lived, and now it's my GSP's little buddy.

I have managed to keep a peppermint shrimp in the tank with him, although he chased it around for a couple of days. I bought an emerald crab, but I haven't seen him in a while. Usually the inverts in the tank just become nocturnal, but I have my doubts about the crab.

I feed my puffer frozen mysis cubes, or other frozen foods, but I leave it frozen for him to file his teeth on. This seems to be quite effective in keeping his teeth from overgrowing, that and the snails he occasionally picks off.

If you are interested in keeping a GSP, here is a good article on how to raise and acclimate them.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume...ed_puppies.htm

I would recommend getting a small one that is in good condition (primarily that it's tooth isn't overgrown). They are very rewarding fish to have and very entertaining to watch. If you want a reef tank with a lot of fish it might be difficult, however, if you want a pufferfish, you can keep them in a reef tank under the proper conditions.

Best of luck!

Alex

mercenariaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2009, 08:47 PM   #16
jadeguppy
Registered Member

I bought some fish from a local that is moving and she wanted me to take the puffer as well. I've thought about keeping one before, but have hesitate. I figured I have three tanks that I take care of and several empty ones around here and work, so I should be able to provide it a good home. It was already in a sw reef tank stocked with softies.

My first concern as of today is getting it to eat. It doesn't touch the frozen food I have offered. Could it jsut be eating a ton of baby snails when I'm not around and therefore isn't hungary or is it likely starting to starve? I know I had a lot of snails breeding in the tank and babies of many sizes.

Unread 06/05/2009, 11:11 PM   #17
terryagi
Registered Member

What are you feeding? Was she feeding it regularly? If she was, maybe you could find out and try what she was feeding. If she hasn't been feeding it, take a look at its teeth. If the teeth are severely overgrown, the puffer may not be able to eat. Now, I have seen overgrown teeth, but the puffer always managed to eat. At the same time, the puffer may just be getting used to its new surroundings. I don't think it will starve. GSPs can go a while without eating.

As for eating snails, take a look at bobbyjeb's pictures. If your puffer's stomach looks like bobbyjeb's puffer's stomach, your puffer has been eating something.

Post a pic if you can.

Unread 06/06/2009, 01:20 PM   #18
jadeguppy
Registered Member

My husband's camera battery died and I can't find the charger. I'll try to post a pic tonight.