Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/28/2009, 07:39 PM   #1
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...8#post15272688

JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2009, 07:39 PM   #2
sammy33
Registered Member

I have not posted in several months and wanted to share these two pictures. This first one is a current full tank shot from this week.

I have been using neo zeo since last June (for about a year). I was using the full method from about September to March. I took the stones off in March because my reactor is fablooey.

I am now using the MB7 and RBF along with my old ULNS stuff - Prodibio. I am dosing the Biodigest and Bioptim as every two weeks and a lower dose of MB7 in between. I have cut down to using RBF about once a week until I can get another zeolith reactor.

I am still using the organic stuff - coralamino, phytochrom, reefbooster, zooplanktos S and koralle VM.

Inorganics- koralcolor and potassion. I throw a dab of iodion and strontion now and then.

This next picture is from about a year ago before I started neo zeo.

Growth has been very good considering the light system. The PAR seems to be sufficient. I am also please with the color of the corals. The fish have even colored up!

I have been getting this green/brown film that is growing on the sand. This started around the time I took the stones off the tank. I have been adjusting my dosing down and it is fading.

Most all of the macro algae that was growing in my tank last year is gone. This was the whole reason I started using the ULNS stuff. The little boost on coral coral and growth is a nice bonus.

Current Tank Info: 125g Reef (TEK/IceCap T5 & TLP LEDs, Tunze 6055/Controller, Reef Octopus NWB200, ReefDoser Quad)
sammy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2009, 07:45 PM   #3
CHUBAKAH
Registered Member

Looks like you made a lot of coral placement changes as well Sammy, but all looks pretty good.

Did you have any reasoning why you added the Prodibio back in the mix?

Last edited by CHUBAKAH; 06/28/2009 at 08:12 PM.
CHUBAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2009, 08:00 PM   #4
sammy33
Registered Member

CHUBAKAH - I added the Prodibio back in after I took the zeo reactor off. I was using an eheim canister that was fairly effective as long as you cranked the flow and rattled the stones every day or two. Since the canister is now fubar I am looking at getting a more traditional zeo reactor with the plunger. I feel these may be more effective than the canister especially when it comes to blowing the bacto sludge off the stones. I can see a difference as my glass gets dusty faster and this green stuff grows on the sand (without the stones).

Prodibio seems to be getting me back on track until I can get another zeo reactor. Unfortunately looks like a chiller is higher on the budget list this year so it may be months before I add the stones back in the mix. But still pleased with the results.

Current Tank Info: 125g Reef (TEK/IceCap T5 & TLP LEDs, Tunze 6055/Controller, Reef Octopus NWB200, ReefDoser Quad)
sammy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2009, 08:23 PM   #5
CHUBAKAH
Registered Member

Any significant jumps in nutrient levels, or have you stayed around the same with the change?

I'm really curious how much of a difference they really made [Zeo stones] on either lowering or maintaining the nutrient levels to acceptable.

Also in asking that, did you maintain an every 6 week change out of 20% while you were online?

Unread 06/28/2009, 08:39 PM   #6
FFrankie
Registered Member

The tank looks great Sam. Thanks for taking the time out to post a picture.

FFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2009, 08:50 PM   #7
JasonD
Registered Member

I'm waiting for my reactor to come in a question on the instructions as far as dosing the microbacter. I understand on weeks 1 and 2 I'm dosing 5ml a day, then on weeks three and four it says 2.5 ml of microbacter and reef biofuel. Does that mean cut back Microbacter to 2.5ml or increase it to 7.5ml? Just doesn't seem clear to me.

Jason

JasonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2009, 07:39 AM   #8
saltygeek
Registered Member

I know this is in the sps forum but I was wondering if anyone running the stones has/had xenia in there tank? Did it melt once ULN was achieved? Still hanging on or growing?
thanks

saltygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2009, 07:45 AM   #9
iFisch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltygeek
I know this is in the sps forum but I was wondering if anyone running the stones has/had xenia in there tank? Did it melt once ULN was achieved? Still hanging on or growing?
thanks

Shouldn't have a problem.

"Hello Nick, The use of NeoZeo in the system will, without question, enable the nitrate concentration to come down because the ultimate source of nitrate (being ammonia/ammonium) will itself be removed from the system (by the media) prior to oxidation into nitrite and then nitrate. For a system holding 14 gallons of actual water, I would use ~25 g of NeoZeo and change this out every week or so to minimize the amount of “new” nitrate entering the system. Give the Microbacter7 time to pull the phosphate down; if you find that the concentration isn’t budging, you can use some PhosphatR at the recommended ratio of ml to gallons listed on the label."

Kindest regards,

Chris

CR Brightwell
Marine Scientist
President

I know it doesn't directly answer your question, but I will be trying it with zoa's, Ric's, LPS. (a few softies)

iFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2009, 01:23 PM   #10
CHUBAKAH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonD
I'm waiting for my reactor to come in a question on the instructions as far as dosing the microbacter. I understand on weeks 1 and 2 I'm dosing 5ml a day, then on weeks three and four it says 2.5 ml of microbacter and reef biofuel. Does that mean cut back Microbacter to 2.5ml or increase it to 7.5ml? Just doesn't seem clear to me.

Jason
Been so long since I set up my system I can not remember 100% for sure, but I "Think" you reduce to 2.5, and not increase.

I'd have to go back and re read the PDF to be positive.

Unread 06/29/2009, 01:27 PM   #11
CHUBAKAH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltygeek
thanks
In my system it died at about 6 weeks in.

Unread 06/29/2009, 02:09 PM   #12
JasonD
Registered Member

Hi Chubakah,

I think I understand I cut it down to 1 ml, which kind of makes sense start off with a bump then cut it down and adjust from there. Hopefully getting my Reactor in today so I'll be able to go down the path.

Starting to does Microbacter right now to kind of seed the tank as they say.

jason

Unread 07/02/2009, 08:27 AM   #13
fernandokng
Registered Member

Do you guys remember how long it took you go get to 0 nitrates with Brightwell? I want to start adding aminos, but I dont want to do so until I'm at 0 nitrates. I'm in Week 5, 58 Gallon, and Nitrates are still hovering at 5ppm. It was around 5-10 when I started.

I'm at 2.5ml on both BioFuel and MB7 daily.

I started BioFuel 3 weeks ago.

fernandokng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2009, 08:31 AM   #14
JasonD
Registered Member

Fernandokng,

Are you using a reactor with the zeo material in it? or are you just dosing Microbacter7 and Biofuel by itself.

Jason

Unread 07/02/2009, 08:37 AM   #15
fernandokng
Registered Member

I'm using the Phosban reactor. It's already all full.

Unread 07/02/2009, 08:43 AM   #16
iFisch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fernandokng
Do you guys remember how long it took you go get to 0 nitrates with Brightwell? I want to start adding aminos, but I dont want to do so until I'm at 0 nitrates. I'm in Week 5, 58 Gallon, and Nitrates are still hovering at 5ppm. It was around 5-10 when I started.

I'm at 2.5ml on both BioFuel and MB7 daily.

I started BioFuel 3 weeks ago.

I'm not expert here, nor do I know much, however Chris Brightwell have exchanged at least 40 e-mails.

From him:

" NeoZeo [MEDIA] will remove nitrogen in the form of ammonium from the system; in doing so the nitrate concentration will gradually decrease due to natural denitrification taking place within the live rock. If/when the nitrate stops decreasing (having a measurement of >0 ppm), the system has likely become carbon-limited and it’s time to start dosing the BioFuel in minimal volume. I tend to run carbon in our systems, and I believe that it helps keep water quality higher"

BTW, for those interested, I got the green light to give NeoZeo a try. However he said to skip BioFuel (for now, and won't likely need it, in my 14g) He still highly recommend a skimmer, but a good skimmer for a 14g, costs nearly as much as the tank itself.

SO, I am going to try with my sponge methond. I have a total of 4 pieces of thicker sponge to catch the bigger stuff, and 2 "polishing pads" which filter and cling onto very very tiny particles.

Wash the pads every other day. (Takes me 5 minutes).

He helped me understand a little more about the system, how to use it, and what to look out for.

If I get an algae bloom, I am immediately getting a skimmer, however, since it costs me $2.50 for additional sponges, I will try the 4-pad method, NeoZeo media, a little bit of PhosPhatR [in the 3rd chamber, before the water intake for the return pump, and MB7.

So I'm just going to order the NeoZeo media, and PhosPhatR, a few more better filter pads, and call it an order.

He gave me recommended dosages for the media (in grams [26g], wth?) and MB7. Gave me some more advice, and I'm going to give it a shot for a week. If nothing visually is bad, I'll continue the second week, and start testing again.

iFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2009, 10:22 AM   #17
ricwilli
Registered Member

I would like to remove the Zeolite Media from my canister and stirr it in a bucket full of dt water to dislodge all the crap that is stuck in there. Will this be OK to do?

Unread 07/04/2009, 07:56 AM   #18
CHUBAKAH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ricwilli
I would like to remove the Zeolite Media from my canister and stirr it in a bucket full of dt water to dislodge all the crap that is stuck in there. Will this be OK to do?
Not really.

Unread 07/04/2009, 09:33 AM   #19
JasonD
Registered Member

If you wanted to stir it in a bucket of water from the tank that would certainly count as handling it in a good way But distilled water? I thinks it would kill the bacteria you worked so hard to create.

JJason

Unread 07/04/2009, 11:13 PM   #20
agsansoo
Premium Member

Here's my update photo. It's not as good as some of the other tanks on this thread, but I'm happy with the NeoZeo system. Before NeoZeo, all my sps's were dying.

FTS- 07-04-2009

Current Tank Info: Barebottom, 65 Bow-Front, 20 gal sump/fuge, octo extreme 160, (2) Lumen Max3 250W w/ XM 20k's, 2 VHO Actinic and (1) VorTech MP40w & (1) VorTech MP10
agsansoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2009, 02:18 AM   #21
homeboyreefer
Registered Member

Well i just made the plunge, started dosing mb7 5ml the last three days and have just filled up the phosban reactor one fifth today, have notice an increase in my foam production on my skimmer already, so mb7 is definitely making a difference already in three days!!

I'm not too sure if i'm going to grab the biofuel or just use vodka/vsv to dose as a carbon source, i've read that biofuel creates a blackish brown slime coating on everything, any thoughts on this guys, its not really about price as both are really cheap, i just have some doubts on the biofuel.

i've also grabbed some of the brightwells lugol, magnesium and will be picking up some koralcolor along with aminos but won't be dosing those for a while as i want to see the difference each product makes.

homeboyreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2009, 08:51 PM   #22
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by agsansoo
Here's my update photo. It's not as good as some of the other tanks on this thread, but I'm happy with the NeoZeo system. Before NeoZeo, all my sps's were dying.

FTS- 07-04-2009

Wow,
Nicely done, your tank is looking ever so sweet... I really like the scaping, lots of sps on top with a blend of softies and lps... really nice... Are you running the full system...stones...and all...

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2009, 09:29 PM   #23
PnoyReefeR
Registered Member

Here is my cube at 8 months

Unread 07/13/2009, 09:12 AM   #24
fernandokng
Registered Member

Nice!!

anyone dose Koralle VM -

http://www.aquacave.com/brightwell-a...lams-2463.html

Unread 07/13/2009, 10:03 AM   #25
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Location: Milky Way Galaxy 3rd planet from the sun, in a country called USA!
PnoyReefeR, nice! what bulbs and ballast are you using? is it a DE or SE bulb? thanks

reefsahoy is offline   Reply With Quote