Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 11/13/2009, 07:43 PM   #501
jnarowe
Registered Member

I hope I am not out-of-line chiming in, but IMO there are no "reef safe" fish. I guess it all depends on your definition of reef safe, but our fish have nothing better to do all day but but go around and taste stuff. No predators to run from, for the most part incorrect conditions for spawning, and food once a day.

Our so-called vegetarian fish eat meaty foods, zoanthids, fan worms etc. Then there are the psychotic territorial fish that toss corals out of their "area". Ever find yourself wondering, "Hey, where'd that go?" Someone ate it stupid!

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
Unread 11/13/2009, 07:50 PM   #502
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

Just quit being poor and get one of these. Same gun Arnold used in Terminator 2.
HAHA

But on a more serious note. Are you dosing any kind of bacteria along with your vodka? I've been seriously considering vodka after reading the success people like Sunny are having with a basic vodka and bacteria setup. Also are you still manually dosing vodka daily. Any reason why you havent gotten some type of dosing pump for that?

Unread 11/13/2009, 08:06 PM   #503
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Man 1221 View Post
melev
9mm glocks are nice, but they tend to jam,
but in your position it is a very intimidating weapon if your just trying to scare some one
I figure if the gun of choice by the police is a Glock, it's good enough for me. After all, I can't wait for 911 to show up. "Excuse me, Mr. Criminal, please wait for a bit until my back up arrives..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by David - Miami View Post
I am not a gun fanatic by any means, but the most common household gun is a Glock 40 caliber. That has more stopping power than a 9mm.
I'll have to find out more. I didn't make the time to go to any gun stores today, waiting for the door & window repair guys to come by and give me a quote. Got my insurance company involved, but my deductible is high enough that this is going to be all out of pocket expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman107 View Post
what a great thread where else can you get advice for your saltwater tank (fish or reef) and get protein skimmer help and good gun recomendations. i like my s&w 5946 the shotgun is nice but if you miss youll f'up your whole place walls tv fish tanks youll have to chase em outside first then let er rip
This is an all encompassing thread. We're real reefers here.

I picked up two different S&Ws at Academy, and was surprised they were made of plastic and steel. Guess I expected the black part to be made of some type of metal. I may go to a shooting range Sunday with a club member. He's got some guns.

With a laser sight on the shotgun, would I still make a mess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstecchino View Post
Calcium reactor question.

The reactor is a Coralvue Octopus dual chamber loaded with coarse arm media. The reactor has a ph probe on the first chamber connected to the apex controller which in turn control the co2 solenoid. The controller is set to turn off co2 if reactor ph is less than 6.55 and turn on if ph is greater than 6.65. it also turn off co2 if tank ph is less than 8.10.

I have the reactor running for 2 months but I cannot increase alk and ca as I desire. Alk stays at 7-8 dKh and Ca at 390-400 (SG is 1.025 mg 1325)

The effluent rate was set at 30 cc/min which may be a little too low. Boubble count was 2/sec.

I increased the effluent rate to 60cc/min, however as expected the reactor ph went up to 6.9 and the current bouble count is not enough. To let ph drop to 6.6 I have to increase boubble count to 120/min or more. This seem excessive to me. At this rate I see small bubbles of co2 going through the arm media and returning into the co2 recirculation line. Is this normal?

Am I doing anything wrong?

PS still second the shotgun over the pistol
Your current levels are well within the acceptable range.

If you can't get the Alk and Ca up, try lowering the pH level in the reactor a bit more. Make the low point 6.2 and see what happens for the next few days. If you increase effluent flow rates, you need to increase bubble rates to match.

Alternately, dose what it needs to bring it up, and have the reactor maintain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
Needed: Reef Safe shotgun...
Not too safe, anyway. Maybe I can learn those moves I saw in Wanted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uMlNKozweg

Unread 11/13/2009, 08:08 PM   #504
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnarowe View Post
I hope I am not out-of-line chiming in, but IMO there are no "reef safe" fish. I guess it all depends on your definition of reef safe, but our fish have nothing better to do all day but but go around and taste stuff. No predators to run from, for the most part incorrect conditions for spawning, and food once a day.

Our so-called vegetarian fish eat meaty foods, zoanthids, fan worms etc. Then there are the psychotic territorial fish that toss corals out of their "area". Ever find yourself wondering, "Hey, where'd that go?" Someone ate it stupid!
You sound like a bitter man. He's right though. Fish don't read books, and don't seem to follow the printed rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejuggernaut View Post

Just quit being poor and get one of these. Same gun Arnold used in Terminator 2.
HAHA

But on a more serious note. Are you dosing any kind of bacteria along with your vodka? I've been seriously considering vodka after reading the success people like Sunny are having with a basic vodka and bacteria setup. Also are you still manually dosing vodka daily. Any reason why you havent gotten some type of dosing pump for that?
That looks intimidating enough. Hopefully the rounds aren't too far out of my budget.

I've been dosing one vial of Prodibio's BioClean each week to add a little diversity, hopefully.

Still dosing it manually. I'd like to get the Deltec Vodka reactor I saw at MACNA in the future.

Unread 11/13/2009, 08:16 PM   #505
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnarowe View Post

Yea our fish have it made!

Unread 11/13/2009, 08:21 PM   #506
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

A vodka reactor...never heard of it...ill have to check it out

Unread 11/13/2009, 08:24 PM   #507
purebullet417
Rimless Reef Club

mac you have a pm. feel free to ask me any questions in my thread if you need i just updated it with pictures tonight also if you want to see how it looks now

Current Tank Info: 57 Gallon Rimless

Last edited by purebullet417; 11/13/2009 at 08:31 PM.
Unread 11/14/2009, 07:47 AM   #508
Dtronic
Registered Member

I bought this one at a gun show. It's a Smith & Wesson 8 shot 357 and it has railmount too. I was thinking of a shotgun, but have alot of corners in my house. Also I love revolvers for their simplicity but 5 or 6 shot doesn't seem enough. As soon as I saw this one I bought it and then researched it later.

Back story on the gun is here. http://www.woodscustomrifles.com/id34.html

In short it was designed for swat team's shield guy, the one holding a ballistic shield who is the point man in a forced entry.

225g SPS starphire display - 75g 3/8" acrylic sump- MP40's - SRO 5000 Internal - Dart -Current Chiller - BRS Dosing Pumps and Reactors - Radiums - Lumenmax Elites - Lumatek 250/400w ballasts - Reef Brite LED's
Unread 11/14/2009, 08:16 AM   #509
cayenne
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Man 1221 View Post
melev
9mm glocks are nice, but they tend to jam,
but in your position it is a very intimidating weapon if your just trying to scare some one
As a person that has just as much money wrapped in firearms as I do reefing, I am a very avid shooter and collector.

I don't know what was wrong with the Glock you were shooting (probably a worn extractor), but 9mm or any Glock's for that matter don't tend to jam. If you have one that does, I would suggest letting a local Glock armorer look at it.

They are simply known for being not so pretty firearms, that just plain work no matter the conditions.

Current Tank Info: 300G, Bubble King SMII, Tunze 6101's, 250W MH's, Teco SeaChill Chiller, ACIII, MRC CR6 Calcium Reactor, 120 Watt Aqua UV
Unread 11/14/2009, 04:53 PM   #510
bazzapalooza
Registered Member

Should this site be renamed melevcentral, awesome as usual. Looking forward to next podcast. Looking to fly over for MACNA 2010 where is it gonna be?

Bazza

100 gallon reef with 2 thick clowns riding the wave from the newave 5500 powerhead.

Unread 11/14/2009, 05:30 PM   #511
Cprowler
Premium Member

Still looking for a video cam?

Not sure if it's any good but might be worth a look.

http://sellout.woot.com/Default.aspx...8f8889bdf901c2

Unread 11/14/2009, 11:18 PM   #512
evilspaz
Registered Member

Hey Melev, just read though a couple of the splits you've really given me some ideas on my 220G, thanks.

Hows your back been? ive just been getting over a fracture in my own back, feels great to be out of the brace.

Unread 11/15/2009, 08:45 AM   #513
Hal
Registered Member

Have you considered the Taurus "Public Defender"? It's a revolver that shoots .45 slugs or .410 shotgun shells.

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-PD410.htm

There's also a lot of buzz around the Springfield Armory's XD line.

Current Tank Info: 250g starphire: 72x28x30, BeanAnimal drain with an oversized non-durso emergency drain, 4 inch DSB, 3x Reefbreeders Value LED fixtures, SWC/MSX 300A skimmer, Geo kalk reactor, 3 Vortechs w/bb, carbon reactor, and a RKL
Unread 11/15/2009, 01:33 PM   #514
swearint
Registered Member

I am not a Glock expert, and it has been awhile since I have fired one. However, there were two things that I did not like about them. One is the safety design, it is/was on the trigger and in my opinion prone to unintentional firing. If your finger is on the trigger, the safety is off. Second issue was the clearance of the slide over the top of my hand, I got pinced.

Todd

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Current Tank Info: 125g Reef
Unread 11/15/2009, 02:04 PM   #515
Snakebyt
Registered Member

i know alot of the leos around here have switched over to XD. Seem to be nice guns, but ill just stick to my trusty ole scattergun for home defense, first 2 rounds are 00 buckshot, the rest are slugs. The reason i like my 1300 is because with it having a short barrel and such a wide spread you can aim in a general direction and you are almost guaranteed to hit the target, so if the wife ever has to use it she dont have to be a good aim to do some real damage.
Once thats done, the slugs are just overkill, but im from texas we overkill everything.. lol

Unread 11/15/2009, 02:08 PM   #516
kayl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebyt View Post
i know alot of the leos around here have switched over to XD. Seem to be nice guns, but ill just stick to my trusty ole scattergun for home defense, first 2 rounds are 00 buckshot, the rest are slugs. The reason i like my 1300 is because with it having a short barrel and such a wide spread you can aim in a general direction and you are almost guaranteed to hit the target, so if the wife ever has to use it she dont have to be a good aim to do some real damage.
Once thats done, the slugs are just overkill, but im from texas we overkill everything.. lol
00 buckshot is good for HD, but Birdshot won't overpenerate and will still get the job done...

The XD is a great gun - Bought a .40 subcompact for my first gun and it's great!

Melev- I'd recommend a 12 gauge shotgun for Home defense. It's much easier to hit with a shotgun than a pistol and you've got much more "stopping power" with the shotgun. If you do get a pistol, be sure to practice to acquire and then maintain your skills.

If you do get a pistol, I highly recommend dry-fire practice. What this entails is removing all ammuntion from the room in which your practicing, removing the magazine, racking the slide to ensure that the chamber is clear and then double checking all of the above.
Then you can practice the trigger pull. Google "dry fire exercises" and practice; dry fire practice will help improve your skills more than just going through the range and blazing through ammo. (It's not as much fun though )

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon Oceanic, 2 Osc. Clowns, 2 Melanarus Wrasses, 2 Bangai Cardinals, 1 Yellow Watchman Goby, 1 Yellow Tang

Last edited by kayl; 11/15/2009 at 02:25 PM.
Unread 11/15/2009, 03:05 PM   #517
Metal Man 1221
FMMAS Executive Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayenne View Post
As a person that has just as much money wrapped in firearms as I do reefing, I am a very avid shooter and collector.

I don't know what was wrong with the Glock you were shooting (probably a worn extractor), but 9mm or any Glock's for that matter don't tend to jam. If you have one that does, I would suggest letting a local Glock armorer look at it.

They are simply known for being not so pretty firearms, that just plain work no matter the conditions.
is that so?

well i stand corrected, iv fired a few and they all did that, but they also werent very new, so that probably was the cause

but yes they are very nice firearms, maybe ill have to find my self a "new" one and see how it fires

"Only after the last tree's cut
and the last river poisoned
only after the last fish is caught
will you find that money cannot be eaten"
~Lamb of God~

Current Tank Info: 125g DT, 45g sump ---- 57g Illuminata, custom sump
Unread 11/18/2009, 12:34 AM   #518
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilspaz View Post
Hey Melev, just read though a couple of the splits you've really given me some ideas on my 220G, thanks.

Hows your back been? ive just been getting over a fracture in my own back, feels great to be out of the brace.
I've had about 13 treatments so far, and while I'm better it just isn't resolved yet. Today, the chiropractor tried a new method on my neck, which I was happy to hear the cracking sound both times. And I felt better. I've been getting traction, adjustments, electric stimulation and laser therapy. Pretty much all the options they have, without going under the knife. I'm hoping this will be all I have to go through, but you never know.

The pain is constant, and certain positions make it more obvious than others. I'm not on my computer nearly as much as usual, which is kind of strange to me, but on the plus side, I'm enjoying my reef tank. I find that sitting watching tv aggravates it, and am often standing while I watch just to reposition my spine. I'm sure some might wonder if I'm just making this stuff up since I'm still doing things, but I'm trying to keep a good attitude while being one step above miserable all day long.

I've been reading more, and my mother sent me a book entitled ""Healing Back Pain - The Mind-Body Connection" by John E. Sarno, MD. Maybe I'll find something to assist in that book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Have you considered the Taurus "Public Defender"? It's a revolver that shoots .45 slugs or .410 shotgun shells.

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-PD410.htm

There's also a lot of buzz around the Springfield Armory's XD line.
I did see the Taurus at Academy. However, I was thinking Glock at the time, so I kind of blew the guy off. Then again, he wasn't really doing much to impress me and it was quickly killing the sale that day. A friend invited me to join him at the range on Sunday, but after all day long on Saturday with the DFW Coral Farmers Market, plus Greg Hiller speaking to our club afterwards, plus dinner after that, and the long drive home... I was pretty much wiped out for Sunday. The last thing I wanted to do was go anywhere.

Oh, did I mention my headaches? Ugh. I'm sure it is all connected to my back situation, and a nice $1500 MRI could provide the necessary proof / bad news.

So back to my reef... The tank is doing well. The recent addition of the Astrea snails has helped with nuisance film algae on the walls of the tank. I'll see about getting some new pictures up later this week. I posted a couple I took of the angled tank a few minutes ago in that thread.

Unread 11/18/2009, 01:15 AM   #519
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Who knew that being a professional stripper would ruin your back.

Normally, I would be a sceptic with all that mind-body stuff but after trying it myself on a medical issue that the docs couldn't cure i found it to be the answer I was looking.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Unread 11/18/2009, 08:17 AM   #520
gkarshens
Registered Member

Is that $1500 out of pocket? No insurance? I got an MRI done before I had insurance for $400. They originally told me $1800. I started calling around shopping prices and they ended up beating my lowest offer. I know it is a bit of a drive but I was super happy with my Orthopedic doctor and facility here in Austin if you want the info.

It's about time!
Unread 11/18/2009, 11:46 AM   #521
melev
Moved On

Gabriel, it would be OOP because I don't carry regular medical insurance, only major medical.

Unread 11/18/2009, 12:45 PM   #522
jnarowe
Registered Member

So, I am a huge fan of Sarno and his original book, "Healing Back Pain", virtually cured me of my neck spasms. I had debilitating spasms throughout my bachelorhood that could land me in bed for a few days. But, reading your descriptions I have to say, it sounds to me like a bulging disk(s). FWIU disks start to degrade in your early 20's and in some cases can "squirt" out-of-line. This creates a bulge, and pressure on the spinal nerves, and therefore pain. Sitting only exacerbates it. An x-ray would be very telling.

I go in every few months for an x-ray to check on my screws, rods, and fusion. I highly doubt that the chiropractor is doing you any long-term good. I know it feels better when you are done with a session, but just like our reefs, it's important to find the root cause. I would bet dollars-to-donuts, at least one bulging disk.

So my story about Sarno is long and very positive, but this is not the place to re-count it. Maybe give x-rays a try?

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
Unread 11/18/2009, 12:48 PM   #523
PQ45
Registered Member

The RBTA thread is beautiful by itself, I wouldn't add a thing. All your tanks are amazing.

Unread 11/18/2009, 12:48 PM   #524
melev
Moved On

I had x-rays taken, and they were compared to the ones taken in 2002. And there was definitely some deterioration between C5 and C6, or C6 and C7. He's also getting my alignment back where it should be, so it isn't a total waste of time. But I'm concerned this may be worse than I'd hoped, and require surgery - I'd like to avoid that of course.

Unread 11/18/2009, 01:34 PM   #525
Snakebyt
Registered Member

lets hope it dosent come down to surgery, but if you do have to have it, at least they can get it fixed and you can live without pain

Closed Thread