Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/09/2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

My 90g Almost 2 Years

Hello everyone,

I have made other post of my tank before that havent succeeded. But i am hoping this could be the one that will. But thats not what where here for. My 90g has almost been set-up for two years. The tank started back in January 3rd of 2008. Here are some photos of the tank when it was first set-up. This was a couple of days after i added 80-90 lbs of liverock and about 40-50lbs of livesand. I am not totally sure on the amount of sound but i think it was somewhat near there.

Filtration-
120 Coralife Skimmer
2 heaters(200)and(300) watt
20g Fuge

Lighting-
8x54 Nova Extreme T5

[IMG]PICT0017[/IMG]
[IMG]PICT0024[/IMG]
[IMG]PICT0019[/IMG]

After about a month or two i added some fish. I did have some problems at first before i could add my fish. The Temp. was a little off because my filtration system goes from my basement up to my 2nd floor in the house and having the filtration system in the basement gave me some problems. But i solved that by addind two heaters into the filtration system. But after i fixed that problem i added my two percula clowns (3/06/08) from my 37g tank that i had before the upgrade to the 90. I waited about 2 weeks with the test fish in there then i decided to add my One spot foxface (3/19/08) into the tank. After the foxface went in i added my Sailfin new i was upgrading so my 37g was like his quarintine. Eventually after about a month i transfered all of my fish from my 37g tank to the 90g.

[IMG]PICT0005[/IMG]
[IMG]PICT0094[/IMG]

(4/02/08)
I had a huge ich break-out which was the lost of my foxface and clowns. I was very upset it had to come so early into this project. I wanted to give up because i lost all of this and thought i would never get things right. The only thing the ich didnt kill was my sailfin tang. Man i am so happy he did not die in this. I waited about a month and half for the thank to cycle with the ich in it and only the rock, sand, and sailfin tang(never took him out). Around 5/10/08 i started to add fish back into the tank. The first things i added where two tomato clowns and a anemone. Only one clown left as of know. Picture after adding clowns.
[IMG]PICT0141[/IMG]

Since then my tank has come a long way and i have not been doing much picture tanking or documentation on the tank. What i have is on my old computer that i still have to transfer, which i will get to asap. The last fts i have on my tank is from 3/09/2009 and here it is. All my other pictures inbetween them are on my old computer i will get them.
[IMG]004[/IMG]

This is the most recent fts i have of know. The tank is almost 2 years old know and i am very happy of what i have done to the tank and how it has come. The date is worng on my camera as you can see.
[IMG]100_1578 - Copy[/IMG]

Fish List as of know-
Sailfin Tang(favorite fish had him for almost 3 years)
Kole Tang
Sixline Wrasse
Tomota Clown(other one was killed by this one)
Blue Jaw Trigger(Added three days ago)

Inverts-
Some snails and crabs
Sand-Sifting Star

Corals
Mushrooms

Dont have any corals but i am think i might start to add some corals in a couple of months.

I am going to add some fish pictures a little later as well

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK!

Reeftanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2009, 02:55 PM   #2
mnml
Registered Member

Looking very good indeed. I like how you keep the back glass clean of coraline.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 130.4
mnml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Thank you mnml, there is not much coraline growth on the back glass which i am very happy about because it is so hard to get to.

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Reef
Old 12/09/2009, 03:10 PM   #4
blennymower
Registered Member

Very nice, does the rabbitfish and the foxface get along?

Current Tank Info: 30G Nano Rimless
blennymower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

blennymower- Rabbittfish and foxface are the same fish. But i do not have either of them anymore. The One Spot Foxface i lost early in the tank due to the ich break out and the Scribbled rabbitfish died after about 5 months. Dont know why, he was always healthy.

Old 12/09/2009, 03:23 PM   #6
blennymower
Registered Member

Sucks, what are you keeping there now?

Old 12/09/2009, 03:46 PM   #7
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Sailfin Tang
Kole Tang
Tomato Clown
Six Line
Blue Jaw Trigger

Old 12/09/2009, 04:56 PM   #8
Rixar
Registered Member

Hello, the second tank in the photo? the sump? greetings

Old 12/09/2009, 05:28 PM   #9
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Rixar that is where the my filtration all is and my fuge. That was before all the sand got into the fuge and rock thats in there. But it is my sump and fuge.

Old 12/09/2009, 05:33 PM   #10
fstlane4me
Registered Member

Looks good.I plan to upgrade to a 90 soon.

fstlane4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2009, 05:35 PM   #11
Shorasp30
Registered Member

I like your rockwork.

Shorasp30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2009, 05:38 PM   #12
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

fstlane4me- Thank you. Its a great nice sized tank to upgrade to. i love it.

Shorasp30- Thank you. It was very frustrating to get the rock like this but i am very happy. As you can see i changed the rock completely in the past two years. Didn't like the open look in the middle as much as i first did. I think it is harder to set-up the rock while its all in there at once.

Old 12/09/2009, 05:41 PM   #13
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Here are some fish photos
[IMG]100_1544[/IMG]
[IMG]002[/IMG]
[IMG]001[/IMG]
[IMG]100_1633[/IMG]
[IMG]100_1595 - Copy[/IMG]

Old 12/09/2009, 06:08 PM   #14
blennymower
Registered Member

The trigger looks great, I had bought a female but it wasn't paying any attention to the food even as it floated right past its mouth. So I returned it and got the Niger, which so far is a model Citizen.

Here's the blue jaw I had.

Old 12/09/2009, 06:13 PM   #15
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Very nice. My bluejaw starting eatting right away. I was very suprised at this because they are known for being very scared at first and that leads to being scared during feeding time. But my bluejaw was out and about ready to eat. Love this fish.

Old 12/09/2009, 07:35 PM   #16
JoshPremierAuto
Registered Member

How far up do you have to pump your return back to the tank? What pump are you running?

JoshPremierAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 01:01 PM   #17
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

It goes up about 6-7 feet i think and a Magnetic drive utility pump rated for 1800 GPH

Old 12/10/2009, 02:13 PM   #18
ZCCRX
Registered Member

Sailfin looks awesome. I also just set up a 90 gal.

ZCCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 02:19 PM   #19
stingythingy45
Registered Member

Looking good.
Here's one of my 90 at almost 2 yrs. now.
I also run a basement sump.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2101.jpg (76.7 KB, 121 views)

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon,mixed Reef,2-250 watt Optix 3 pendants(Phoenix 14K)2-54 watt T5 Super actnics ,ASM G-2 Gate/recirc mods,70 gal. basement sump,20L ref
stingythingy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 02:25 PM   #20
Shane Hoffman
Registered Member

You mentioned your tank being on the 2nd floor of your home. If your sump is in the basement wouldnt the return pump be pumping it more like 20 feet. Basement is 8 ft from floor to ceiling same for first floor then another 3 or 4 feet up to the tank....just curious???? You said 6 or 7 feet for return distance what am I missing??

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon glass with 20 gallon sump, 175lbs of coraline covered live rock, EuroReef skimmer rated for 250gal, 25watt Aqua UV sterilizer, Fluval FX5, Hamilton 3x250watt MH, 160 watt Blue actinic....Mixed reef
Shane Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 02:39 PM   #21
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

ZCCRX- Thanks very much. Its my favortie fish in the tank and the oldest. I have had him for about 3 years.

Old 12/10/2009, 02:44 PM   #22
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Stingythingy- Wow thats great to hear. Beautiful looking tank. I was very scared at first with the filtration in the basement and the main tank upstairs. Never thought it would work. But i have no regrets with doing this very happy.

Shane Hoffman- Its not 6-7 ft i just measured it. Its about 11ft from the bottom to the bottom of the overflow. I forgot to measure the bottom of the sump where my pump is sitting right up to the overflow. Its no 20ft though. But the pump is rated for 22ft.

Old 12/10/2009, 04:50 PM   #23
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Litte bit of an update for you guys. Everything is going good right know. My Bluethroat is doing great. Starting to really come out and show who he is. Still eatting like a champ to since day 1. I will keep you posted on the BlueJaw.

I have been thinking for the last 6 months that i wanted to convert my tank to a Reef tank. But i never knew where to start. I am not to knowledge on the Coral part of the hobby. I do know a little bit but i dont think it is enough to keep a successfull reef tank. Hopefully i can get some of your thoughts on my thoughts and maybe i can go from there. Please tell me about levels and some starter corals for me to start off with.

Also thinking about adding some more fish soon as well. I wish i could add another tang but i am pushing the envelope already with the sailfin and kole. But i was thinking about a Foxface. Not to sure what kind but i think that is one fish that i would like to add to the tank. Is there any other suggestions that you guys can throw out there for me to think about as far as fish.

Old 12/11/2009, 08:00 AM   #24
maroun.c
Registered Member

Hi,
My plane is delayed so I got to check out your thread before I fly...
Nice setup love the scapes you had and the caves for the fish, but not sure if it's the best for placing corals as you mentioned on my thread that you wanted to move more towards a mixed reef! MAybe a view from the side will be helpfull in seeing the rock structure better. The stairlike ledges on the left are perfect and maybe you'll eventually need somthing similar on the right side.
Your setup looks good was wondering why the 500W heaters but as you mention its because of your basement temp then that should be Ok. I love having the fishroom in the basement or separate room but as far as I can see your system is just a sump couldn't you fit it in your stand? unless you have plans to install more things down in the basement I don't see a need for a 200-300 W pump running all the time which is also casuing yo uto install 500W heaters on a 90 G.
As to moving to corals more I would suggest going slow starting up with rather easier corals however in a 90 you don't want to fill it up with easy (mushrooms,GSP, zoos) and not have place for the bright things you wanted. so Iwould suggest being very picky in coral choices. do you plan to have SPS or LPS? if yo're going with SPS I would suggest you start with a montipora and a couple of hardier SPS like Pavonas, hydnoporas... and once these ar Ok to your system pick upa few more ones, ifyou're going with LPS I would suggest you start with Euphilias before going to more expensive Acans, scolys...
Last thing I'll mention is I'm shocked no body mentioned the sailfin in a 90 G. LAst week 2 of my firends 180 and 200 G took out their sailfins as in one of the tanks it couldn't go in the rocks to sleep anymore. I love this fish but was advised to skip it in my 150 eventhough I'm going to 300 in 6-7 months The kole tank is great and I love how active it is on the alga... still mixing those with 1-2 more in the 90 would make it difficult to move to a mixed reef. especially with the trigger on the way. Maybe also start with testing yoru parameters (Alk Ca Mg Phosphates and Nitrates...) before adding any corals and fix any imbalances before having corals in.
Feel free to discuss whatever info yo uwanted more on my thred or here or by PM if you need more help.
Good luck with your system.

Current Tank Info: 390G mixed reef
maroun.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2009, 06:21 AM   #25
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroun.c View Post
Hi,
My plane is delayed so I got to check out your thread before I fly...
Nice setup love the scapes you had and the caves for the fish, but not sure if it's the best for placing corals as you mentioned on my thread that you wanted to move more towards a mixed reef! MAybe a view from the side will be helpfull in seeing the rock structure better. The stairlike ledges on the left are perfect and maybe you'll eventually need somthing similar on the right side.
Your setup looks good was wondering why the 500W heaters but as you mention its because of your basement temp then that should be Ok. I love having the fishroom in the basement or separate room but as far as I can see your system is just a sump couldn't you fit it in your stand? unless you have plans to install more things down in the basement I don't see a need for a 200-300 W pump running all the time which is also casuing yo uto install 500W heaters on a 90 G.
As to moving to corals more I would suggest going slow starting up with rather easier corals however in a 90 you don't want to fill it up with easy (mushrooms,GSP, zoos) and not have place for the bright things you wanted. so Iwould suggest being very picky in coral choices. do you plan to have SPS or LPS? if yo're going with SPS I would suggest you start with a montipora and a couple of hardier SPS like Pavonas, hydnoporas... and once these ar Ok to your system pick upa few more ones, ifyou're going with LPS I would suggest you start with Euphilias before going to more expensive Acans, scolys...
Last thing I'll mention is I'm shocked no body mentioned the sailfin in a 90 G. LAst week 2 of my firends 180 and 200 G took out their sailfins as in one of the tanks it couldn't go in the rocks to sleep anymore. I love this fish but was advised to skip it in my 150 eventhough I'm going to 300 in 6-7 months The kole tank is great and I love how active it is on the alga... still mixing those with 1-2 more in the 90 would make it difficult to move to a mixed reef. especially with the trigger on the way. Maybe also start with testing yoru parameters (Alk Ca Mg Phosphates and Nitrates...) before adding any corals and fix any imbalances before having corals in.
Feel free to discuss whatever info yo uwanted more on my thred or here or by PM if you need more help.
Good luck with your system.
Well thanks a whole lot Maroun.C. After i did the rock for the second time i did notice that it wouldnt be the best for corals. But i am sure i can find some spots for them there are plenny of ledges for them to go. I just dont want to block up any caves that the fish go in and out. But i will get you an updated picture from the side ASAP. But if i where to go with corals i think it would have to be heavy on the left side because of the ledges like you said. But we will deal with that when the time comes.
The reason i went with two heaters is because my basement is pretty cold and the tank just wasnt handling the one heater to well. But ever since i did add the second heater the temp went right where it needed to be and stayed there. Also the reason that the sump is in the basement is because one of noise, and two because my sump is really long and i wanted to have a big fuge which is a 20. And when i measured it under the tank it did not fit. If it had to fit i wouldnt be able to get to any of my filtration to easily. But my plan at first when i discovered this was i was going to buy a pieace of plexi glass and put it into the 30 sump i have but that didnt work out to well and then i thought that the 20g fuge would be better for me in the long run so thats why i went with that decision. I have no regrets as of know of doing what i did.
As far as corals yea i really dont want to fill it up with the zoos and mushrooms there nice looking corals but there is so much nicer things out there that i want. I want to go both SPS and LPS. Which one do you think i should start with first? Do you think my 8x54 Nova Extreme T5 is fine to? especially for the SPS. When i get to buying some corals i will have to ask more questions like placing and things like that unless you can tell me right know where i should place the starter corals you told me.
Thanks, I love my sailfin and he has thrived in the new 90 since i have had him. They dont grow to fast as what i have seen go on with him. But from the experince and things that i have questioned about yes he will get to big for my 90 eventually and when that time comes i will have to get rid of him and get another type of tang probably. But yes i am really starting to love the Kole Tang. I love watching him pick and the glass and rocks i think that lets me know that he likes the tank and is doing well, because thats what tangs do in the wild. But as far as the Sailfin i think you would of been fine especially if your upgrading to a 300 soon. I dont want to add to more fish as of know. I mean i dont want to make my tank a full reef but i want to make it with a lot of nice looking corals if you know what i am trying to say. Basically i would like to have more fish in the tank as i can. I love watching the fish but i do love the coral. I dont want the tank to be really heavy on corals like i said but i want it to be full. But yes i will start testing my parameters to see what i can do with corals.
What should these parameters be...(Alk Ca Mg Phosphates and Nitrates...)?

Really thank you for the help. Thanks