Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/12/2010, 06:50 PM   #1
ritter6788
Say no to clove polyps

Saving dying corals.

I picked up these 2 corals from a local reefer who didn't have any luck with them. I have lots of LPS in my tank so he gave them to me. The first one looks like a bleaching favia and the second one I'm not sure of, acan maybe)? The second coral doesn't looked bleached but it has many dead heads on it. I have them on my frag rack in the upper left corner of my tank to the side of a 150w metal halide. I will be feeding them 2-3 times a week and see if I get any response from them. Anyone have any other suggestions on the best way to bring these corals back to life?
This coral still has nice green centers but around the edges is either completely white or brownish.
This coral has nice color but only a few good heads remain.

Thanks for looking and giving suggestions.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon mixed reef///40 breeder prop tank

Last edited by ritter6788; 08/06/2017 at 02:52 PM.
ritter6788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2010, 06:59 PM   #2
bfam4t6
Registered Member

I would acclimate them at the bottom of the tank. Spot feed mysis if you see their tentacles out. I like to spot feed my new LPS at least least once or twice upon putting them in my tank. After that I just let them eat from the tank or very randomly spot feed.

If you can get them to eat, that's a good sign. Feeding will help them, but be careful because you can train them to be super hungry little bastards that stick their tentacles out even during daylight. I did that with some Acans.

bfam4t6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2010, 07:23 PM   #3
ritter6788
Say no to clove polyps

I really don't have any space at the bottom of the tank that they wouldn't get stung by other corals. I do have a small spot in the middle on some rocks at the bottom but it's in front of a small cave that my lawnmower blenny hangs out in and he kept pushing them onto the sand upside down. The rack is up pretty high but not directly underneath the bulb. I'll try to do some rearranging and see if I can get them lower in the tank for now. So should I try to feed anyway to train them or should I only feed if the tentacles are out?

Old 07/12/2010, 07:25 PM   #4
john90009
Registered Member

yeah with lps the greatest way for them to recover is to not be up high by the light. they would be more comfortable way down and even sometimes shadowed, the feeding will really help it. try finding lower spots.

john90009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2010, 07:32 PM   #5
bfam4t6
Registered Member

I don't have any personal experience with MH bulbs, so I honestly can't say for sure. But, I do know that from my experience, I get brighter LPS colors with lower light than I do with higher lighting. With higher lighting, the colors get very dark and rather drab. Since yours are already bleached or receeding, I'd say the higher the lighting the more chance you have to upset them.

As for feeding, it wont hurt them to try and feed without tentacles showing. Just turn your flow off and set a mysis on top of one of the heads. If it's healthy, it should eventually eat it.

bfam4t6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2010, 07:44 PM   #6
ritter6788
Say no to clove polyps

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get them lower in the tank and if I can't I'll turn them away from the lighting at least and keep working with the feedings. I'll post some updates, good or bad, as time goes by.

Old 08/16/2010, 07:55 PM   #7
ritter6788
Say no to clove polyps

One is looking better! The pic is a little blurry, it's in the back of the tank and hard to photo. It is putting it's tentacles out at night and when I feed. I'm still working on the other, I'll give it time.

Old 08/17/2010, 07:27 AM   #8
mscarpena
Registered Member

I think given proper care they will recover.

mscarpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2010, 11:39 AM   #9
ritter6788
Say no to clove polyps

Updated pics. The acan looks like it has made a full recovery except for the back part that was completely dead.

The favia is starting to darken up and looks like it's growing new heads!

Old 09/07/2010, 03:46 PM   #10
Dave VG
Registered Member

Nice job ritter. No better feeling than saving a coral.

Current Tank Info: 40B Display, 40B sump/fuge
Dave VG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2010, 04:02 PM   #11
ritter6788
Say no to clove polyps

Thanks Dave. I can't wait for the favia to come around, should be a nice piece.

Old 03/21/2011, 10:36 AM   #12
ritter6788
Say no to clove polyps

The acan is fully healthy again.

The favia is taking a little more time but it's still making progress and eating well. It looks like it's going to be purple with green mouths and green rims. Pics coming soon.

Old 03/23/2011, 11:57 PM   #13
stephenrsaiz
Moved On

Very nice. I was just comparing some pics of a PPE favia that I took tonight to the single pic I have of it form 8 weeks ago. I got it at a local swap, it looked rough as can be. It's in the back, right-hand corner of the pic below - behind the bonsai. The other pics are from tonight. It still has a good bit of healing to do, but I think it was a good deal considering I traded a frag of a cyphastrea for it. ;-)

January 29th

March 24th

stephenrsaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2011, 09:37 AM   #14
ritter6788
Say no to clove polyps

Wow! Very nice!

Old 03/24/2011, 09:47 AM   #15
stephenrsaiz
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritter6788 View Post
Wow! Very nice!
Thanks, man. Yours are coming along good, too. Be patient and you'll have some great looking pieces there. And like someone posted earlier, it's a great feeling saving a coral.

stephenrsaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2011, 10:10 AM   #16
sbabs
Registered Member

Great job on saving those corals. I must admit that I, in the past, have sent corals in the wrong direction with my lack of knowledge, and only by sheer luck have been able to bring some of them back. I have a 6" by 4" nuclear green eye favia that was just stunning when I got it. It was near death, maybe 4 eyes left when I moved it from my heavily stocked system to my finally cycled coral friendly setup. It's on the way back, as are a few other corals I have. I should really get some pics of the favia in its current state.

I've found in my case it's been mostly water quality, but right behind was lighting and flow. I cannot say which order, but I believe it's all about balance.

I have not been as lucky with SPS, but have a few pieces that appear to be hanging in there. I rescued one just this week, but it came from such a low light system that I don't know the best approach yet. Just setting it in the bottom of my frag tank was probably a shock to it. (108 watts of 1.5 year old t5s in a 55 g, to 175 watt halide and 78 watts t5 in a 40b)
I feel like I need to stay in the hobby long enough now to make up for some of the ignorant coral losses I've had. I need to propagate and save a few corals to at least balance the deficit so to speak.

I know so little compared to many in this hobby, but I feel like I know so much more than most. (Outside of RC of course!!!!) What I totally dig about RC is that with every visit I learn something new.

Current Tank Info: Which one? I'm a mess of tanks
sbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2013, 03:34 PM   #17
s2nhle
Registered Member

wow, good thread. I wish I found this sooner.

s2nhle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2014, 09:10 PM   #18
George G
Registered Member

Is cutting the dead skeleton away appropriate for chalices as well? Have you had any luck saving chalices and what do you recommend for treating them?

George G is offline   Reply With Quote