Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2011, 09:31 PM   #1
naterealbig
Premium Member

So, I need to completely black-out a large window in my Apartment......

I am setting up a tank in front of a window, and don't want any light coming in through the window at all. I was going to duct-tape black poster board to the window and then cover the window with curtains. This really needs to be something that will last a couple of years......and I don't want to have to re-do something I screw up. I thought about actually covering the window with a piece of drywall and painting it, but I think that might be a little too permanent.....Will the poster board and duct tape trick work? If not, what are my options?

Any no, moving the tank to a different wall is not an option.

The window is ~ 5'x5', and is comprised of 24 smaller panes of glass.

Unread 03/09/2011, 09:38 PM   #2
reefermad619
Registered Member

You could roll on some black latex paint. That stuff just peels off of glass.

reefermad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2011, 09:46 PM   #3
naterealbig
Premium Member

I thought about that....will the latex really block out the light?

Unread 03/09/2011, 09:47 PM   #4
rkaragozler
Registered Member

Black acrylic. or 2 layers of limo tint. each piece of limo tint allows 5% light thru

Unread 03/09/2011, 09:50 PM   #5
shabreeson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermad619 View Post
You could roll on some black latex paint. That stuff just peels off of glass.
i would worry about getting paint on the walls/wood trim.

i think you should just buy two sheets of poster board a white one(so it looks ok from the outside of the house) and a black one to go behind it. then you can tape the edges with duct tape or the aluminum tape they use for duct work(if you want to make sure no light gets through on the edges)

Mike

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon mixed reef, 55 sump with a 20 gal refugium, 2 A. Allardi.,2 Bartlett's Anthias

Last edited by shabreeson; 03/09/2011 at 09:59 PM.
shabreeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2011, 10:01 PM   #6
reefermad619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naterealbig View Post
I thought about that....will the latex really block out the light?
It should. If not, multiple coats will help. I would make sure your window is taped up well, then throw the paint on. Tint is good too, but can look like crap if done wrong. I'm sure you've seen some bubbly back windows before.

reefermad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2011, 10:08 PM   #7
fppf
Registered Member

limo tint, works great and can be removed.

fppf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2011, 10:16 PM   #8
naterealbig
Premium Member

The paint sounds like a good idea, and so does the limo tint. Which will be the easiest and cheapest? I have no idea how I would install limo tint, or where to buy it. Remember, I have 24 panes of glass separated by thin strips of metal. Could I cover the metal with the tint, or would I have to tint each individual pane? Sounds like a lot of work. With the paint, I would just tape everything up, paint, and then remove the tape.

Unread 03/09/2011, 10:22 PM   #9
fppf
Registered Member

Tint is actually really easy to install on flat glass.

You can buy it at almost any big box auto parts store.

To install all your need is a razor blade, spray bottle with a mix of water and a little dawn dish soap, and a credit card.

Spray the window down really good and wet. Then roll out a piece and peel off the backing if there is any, depends on the tint you buy. Gently press it into the soapy water and move it around to place it. This will hold it in place and it will float on the water. Then take the razor and cut out all the edges. When everything is in place and cut take the credit card and starting from the center of the piece push the water out to the edges like a squeegee. If you get any large air bubbles you can poke them with a pin and that gets rid of most of it. But if your careful you can get all the bubbles out.

If you need to layers wait at least a day before applying a second layer the same way as the first.

Unread 03/09/2011, 10:38 PM   #10
naterealbig
Premium Member

Sounds pretty easy.....let me see if I can find some videos on youtube. I'll give some stores a call tomorrow. Thanks, and I'll post my results.

Unread 03/09/2011, 10:47 PM   #11
eznet2u
Registered Member

If you do the window tint, don't expect your deposit back. In fact, be ready to shell out more to have someone else to take it off for you landlord.

Get a large piece of Styrofoam from Lowe's (4x8 sheet). One side is white, the other is Aluminum. Cut to pressure fit into the window opening. Cover with curtain.

eznet2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2011, 11:27 PM   #12
Rob.P
Registered Member

^ this

OR

Black vinyl from a decal/sign shop... you can put it on like a sticker....and its also way easier to apply and remove than tint. if you do decide to do tint..use a drop of johnsons baby soap. I worked at many tint shops for a while...vinyl is easiest for a first timer

Unread 03/09/2011, 11:29 PM   #13
reefjunkie42
Wrasse junkie

kylon fusion spray paint?

reefjunkie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2011, 11:35 PM   #14
NatureNerd
Registered Member

My 75 g is about 6 feet away from a huge window. The incoming morning light seems to help with coral growth. I have always seen it as an advantage. You may want to consider trying it first before going to drastic measures. That said if you must block it, the foam with backing seems a great way to go. I have also seen Heavy duty foil and duct tape used. Looks bad from the outside but a curtain solves the inside issue.

NatureNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 06:45 AM   #15
nauticac4
Baby Fish Wrangler

Natural light can be extremely beneficial for a tank. As long as the water parameters are kept at acceptable level you shouldn't be burdened with algae growth and the light will help growth better than any artificial light ever could.

Just hang some curtains if your that worried about the effect on the tank, some light bleed def. wont hurt anything. My cube is near a window that gets a good blast of daylight in the afternoon and the growth on that side of the tank is noticable over the side that doesnt receive the light.

PBITAWA !!!

Current Tank Info: 180 Cube 3x3x3. 29Gallon Sump 20 Gallon Fuge (1) Lumenarc Reflector w. 250W ARO Ballast and - Modded GS1 Skimmer - Eheim 1262 Return - Vortech MP40W and Swirler Stein
nauticac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 07:04 AM   #16
fppf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eznet2u View Post
If you do the window tint, don't expect your deposit back. In fact, be ready to shell out more to have someone else to take it off for you landlord.

Get a large piece of Styrofoam from Lowe's (4x8 sheet). One side is white, the other is Aluminum. Cut to pressure fit into the window opening. Cover with curtain.
Heat gun, windex, and a scraper is all you need. Peels right off and the windex cuts the glue. Must have procedure when the judge orders you to remove it from your car.

Unread 03/10/2011, 08:13 AM   #17
Rainman69
Registered Member

I did windows in my ht with 1/2 inch plywood, cotton batting, and fabric. The 5x5 might make that challenging.

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon, marineland power filter,3 goldfish
Rainman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 09:27 AM   #18
naterealbig
Premium Member

The tint is starting to sound like maybe not so good of an idea. I really don't want to put something that will be very hard to remove later. The foil doesn't sound like a bad idea, but wouldn't I need to worry about the aluminum oxidizing being so close to the tank?

I'm starting to lean towards the foam board with backing on it now. The real problem I'm trying to avoid is having to mess with the job after the tank is filled with water....the tint is a good solution until it's time to move out of the apt. The foil sound good, but I'm really afraid the the tape might come undone. I live in Florida, so condensation might become an issue with anything that tape has to hold up.....which is why I questioned my idea of taping posterboard over the window.

To those that recommend that the sun just come in; The tank is the focal point in my living room, and I am going for a unique look. Black stand, black background, black bare-bottom.....I'm not worried about the heat from the window or increased algae growth per se. I'm really just concerned about the effect the light will cause, when shining through the back of the tank.

Thanks for the input, all replies have been very helpful. I think at this point I will probably do the foam board with the aluminum backing, and I will place the backing on the window side, so hopefully not much salt water will get on it. I'm open to more suggestions...

Unread 03/10/2011, 11:05 AM   #19
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Why not put some black backing on the back of the tank if you're worried about the look of the tank when light shines through it?

Unread 03/10/2011, 11:16 AM   #20
username in use
Sciencing Daily

Just by black out curtains. They are designed to stop all the light, they will look decent from outside the house and they won't do anything to the windows that may or may not be easy to reverse latter on.

http://www.overstock.com/search?keyw...d-000047f32000

And a little tip for aesthetics. If the window is narrower than the tank, put curtains up that are wider than the tank, and make it so it is even on either side of the tank. It will look better than to have a narrow curtain behind the tank or having it off center.

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
username in use is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 11:42 AM   #21
Chris27
Registered Member

+1

Old school roll up shades will block just about all light as well, couple those with a nice window treatment picked out by a classy lady and you'll be good to go.

Painting windows, putting up syrofoam, tinting or covering them with drywall will look cheezy as hell.....it's a window inside a house, treat it as such.

One thing to note - a window next to a fish tank is a great thing - especially come water change time.

Chris27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 12:15 PM   #22
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefjunkie42 View Post
kylon fusion spray paint?

Someone had to say it!!!

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
hllywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 12:25 PM   #23
Nathan.Titulaer
Registered Member

My question is if this is the only window in the room. If you block it with a tank and there is a fire you will be in some serious trouble if you have the window blocked. If some one gets hurt including the fire men trying to enter you will be held liable for any injuries. There is a reason why rooms have large windows and it is not for the view. Also what would your landlord say to you spray painting or tinting the windows?

I would go with something easily removed like Styrofoam pressure fit to the inside of the jamb and painted to look good. With blacked out windows you will look like a drug grower and probably draw unwanted attention to yourself.

Nathan.Titulaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 12:28 PM   #24
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

Seriously, if you insist on no light from the window two of the best, easily reversible solutions are the two previous to my first one... The sun is pretty hot in Florida and those suggestions will help limit the heat transfer into the apartment, and aquarium which you then have to remove with the AC or some other method. The foil faced foam with the foil out will look like hell from the outside, but may reflect some of the energy back outside depending on the efficiency of your windows. It may also overheat efficient windows and damage them.

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
Unread 03/10/2011, 12:31 PM   #25
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan.Titulaer View Post
My question is if this is the only window in the room. If you block it with a tank and there is a fire you will be in some serious trouble if you have the window blocked. If some one gets hurt including the fire men trying to enter you will be held liable for any injuries. There is a reason why rooms have large windows and it is not for the view. Also what would your landlord say to you spray painting or tinting the windows?

I would go with something easily removed like Styrofoam pressure fit to the inside of the jamb and painted to look good. With blacked out windows you will look like a drug grower and probably draw unwanted attention to yourself.
Blacked out windows with the "blue glow" shining through the cracks... Just my fish officer...

Really good points concerning egress Nathan.