Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/18/2014, 08:34 AM   #1
Koi Valley
Registered Member

Attention TMC Aqua Ray customers

I've been doing a lot of research into LED lights over the past few weeks. Found lots of comments on Radion and Hydra. One company that interests me is TMC Aqua Ray, but very few people comment on this company.

I like the fact their lights use less watts than other companies. TMC suggests three Aqua Beam 2000s, and four Ultima 600s over a 90 gal tank. This would only add up to 138 watts of power. Also, because they are separate units they could be placed around the tank to correct shadow problems.

My question- Are TMC led lights any good. Is there anyone on this forum that use these lights and do they stand up to the Radions or Hydra lights that are both in the same price range as the TMC light set up.

Thanks for any replies.

Unread 03/18/2014, 12:59 PM   #2
Braver69
Registered Member

The problem I see with them, that unless they use some kind of led I never have seen before they will be under powered. At the wattage you listed I doubt they can go much deeper then 18" of water depth and still have 75 par or higher. I used apollo reef leds over my tank and at 30" of depth they had 150 par, they used 110 watts tho. Leds use far less power but we still need alot of them to punch light down deeper unless the leds use optics. Optics work at making leds punch farther down but come at the cost of spread, either way you will use a fair amount of watts.

Unread 03/19/2014, 08:26 AM   #3
Koi Valley
Registered Member

I have found a couple of web sites that claim TMC is using different technology and patent emmittors to be able to use less power while still achieving decent PAR/PUR readings. But is it true? I like it to be, but the lack of response/comments on this product is deafening.

I would like to hear either from thous who have bought TMC lighting or from anyone who knows more about this so called new technology than I know.

Here's a couple web sites to look into....

http://aquarium-digest.com/
http://aquariumopinions.com/

Both are bias toward the product, but defend their opinions. Tell me what you think.

Thanks

Unread 03/20/2014, 09:18 PM   #4
Braver69
Registered Member

The weak par readings in the article tells me these lights will not cut it for reef use. 250 par at the top of the tank is really low. I use Pacific Sun led lighting on my tank and it uses no white leds and my par is far higher. Kessil is one of the few low wattage led systems that I have seen work, however their spread is weak for 24" or deeper tanks, on a shallower tank they make good sense to me. They tell you how great these Aqua Ray leds are, but yet show no one with corals growing under them. Thats my thoughts anyway, hope you find them helpful.

Unread 03/21/2014, 09:56 AM   #5
Trigger334
Registered Member.

The aquaray led is a plug and play Led with a prefect spectrum to go right onto the tank. I know of these articles and they start they can grow any coral with a 150 par (high PUR lighting), so unless you are trying to grow sps at the bottom corners of the tank, this spectrum is dialed in. AquaRay has a solid name. Just not many people in Reef Central know it or support it. They have their own sponsors that run this forum.

In the articles, it states the professional that suggested these PAR numbers based on using high PUR lighting over his full sps frag tank. There are lots of examples of AquaRay growing corals...

EcoTech and AI-Sol sponsor many more forums, hence why you see there name much more in forums.

Unread 09/29/2014, 12:41 AM   #6
DOGGIE750
Registered Member

I'm looking into getting some Aquaray Aquabeam 2000 & 1500. Underdogs with less marketing are more compelling to me.

Current Tank Info: 400reef (wip), 120fowlr (tentative), 100sump (done)...all in the making. Feature by EOY2015
Unread 09/29/2014, 11:46 AM   #7
Bryopsis
Registered Member.

I've got the 2000's on a 75 gallon.
I have them 1" above the water, in the water just under surface is 1100-1200 par, about 12" under the surface they give off 500-600 par, at the sand (around 17" under) they give about 100-150 par.

On a side note, my firestorm monti grows like a weed under these compared to miniscule growth under a 150w MH. (ya, it surprised me)

They're well worth it for cost savings, PWM makes the difference. But their controller is as generic as an outlet timer. (you can only do ramp on/off and levels and thunderstorm mode)

Unread 09/29/2014, 12:00 PM   #8
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi Valley View Post
I have found a couple of web sites that claim TMC is using different technology and patent emmittors to be able to use less power while still achieving decent PAR/PUR readings.
I still cringe any time anyone uses the term PUR in marketing lights. The bottom line ia we have seen beautiful tanks running LED fixtures such as AI, Ecotech, Kessil, Maxspect, ect... They have proven that they can continue to produce great results over the years. The EcoRay products have been out for years yet there are very few if any tanks out there using them much less showing off their success.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...

Last edited by gcarroll; 09/29/2014 at 12:13 PM.
Unread 09/30/2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Bryopsis
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
I still cringe any time anyone uses the term PUR in marketing lights. The bottom line ia we have seen beautiful tanks running LED fixtures such as AI, Ecotech, Kessil, Maxspect, ect... They have proven that they can continue to produce great results over the years. The EcoRay products have been out for years yet there are very few if any tanks out there using them much less showing off their success.
They're a household name in Europe. As far as I know, there's only 1 distributor here in the states.

PUR is a completely appropriate topic though when it comes to lights. It's still another measurement that means something. It's not just a fancy word like AI, Radion, Kessil, Maxspect would like you to believe.
You might think PUR is unnecessary or the brand isn't well known, I see the opposite of this.

Why does nobody use the balling lite system, or even the Triton method? I don't see a lot on the Triton method, that doesn't mean it's irrelevant. That's why I enjoy my time on the European forums more than the US forums. Any way you slice it, the Europeans and other countries have been keeping fish much longer than the United States folks. I surely won't dismiss anyones methods etc, but I think the bottom line is they have more experience in the fishkeeping hobby. (by several hundreds years at least)

Over in the European forums you see these crazy tanks running for years with no water changes yet doing just fine supplementing additives.
In the USA, people say additives are the devil and I see the majority of people asking how to keep some of the basic chemistry in check.

I won't make any assumptions on who's right, but I see a lot of bickering on the US forums as compared to legitimate progress between multiple people in the Euro forums. It's definitely something to think about.

Unread 12/24/2014, 01:34 PM   #10
Trigger334
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryopsis View Post
They're a household name in Europe. As far as I know, there's only 1 distributor here in the states.

PUR is a completely appropriate topic though when it comes to lights. It's still another measurement that means something. It's not just a fancy word like AI, Radion, Kessil, Maxspect would like you to believe.
You might think PUR is unnecessary or the brand isn't well known, I see the opposite of this.

Why does nobody use the balling lite system, or even the Triton method? I don't see a lot on the Triton method, that doesn't mean it's irrelevant. That's why I enjoy my time on the European forums more than the US forums. Any way you slice it, the Europeans and other countries have been keeping fish much longer than the United States folks. I surely won't dismiss anyones methods etc, but I think the bottom line is they have more experience in the fishkeeping hobby. (by several hundreds years at least)

Over in the European forums you see these crazy tanks running for years with no water changes yet doing just fine supplementing additives.
In the USA, people say additives are the devil and I see the majority of people asking how to keep some of the basic chemistry in check.

I won't make any assumptions on who's right, but I see a lot of bickering on the US forums as compared to legitimate progress between multiple people in the Euro forums. It's definitely something to think about.
This is very nicely said!

Unread 12/25/2014, 04:44 PM   #11
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Household name? I beg to differ. A quick google search will reveal very little discussion regarding this product. Most of all talk on this light is done on various blog sites. who are all regurgitating the info released from the manufacturer.

Quote:
Another measurement? How can you say that. Every brand you just mentioned produces more PUR than the Aquaray. And the reason I can say that is because my measurement is as accurate as anyone else's regarding PUR. All the fixtures you mentioned produce more than enough PAR for photosynthesis of our animals. The only difference is that there are several examples out there with long term results using those other fixtures. Show us the results of those using the Aquaray. I want to see before and after shots with the Aquaray. Maybe a year or so of progress. Not just pics of some tank that pulled off the MH or T5, put up the Aquaray and took photos.

Quote:
Sorry bud but I live in So Cali. Many people here use the balling system and others are starting to use the Triton method as well. Heck Triton USA is headquartered here. The Europeans are not any more advanced than we are. Yes they have companies that try new things but really are those methods a necessity? No, just another method to keep reefs. Keep in mind that Reef Central is an international forum, not a US forum. Consider how many European tanks have been TOTM.

Quote:
So what. Maybe they needed to come up with a way to do less water changes because it is far more expensive than it is here in the US. Just because you don't do water changes and are successful doesn't mean your method is better. It merely means its another way that works. Forums are for sharing information. Do you have a problem with newbs coming on to ask basic questions. I don't!

Quote:
Bickering as you call it. It is also called debating. Questioning progress is the only way we can confirm that the new method is in fact progress!

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
Unread 12/25/2014, 06:24 PM   #12
doctorwhoreefer
Moved On

Lol gcarol needs to take a chill pill...

To the op, I had some of these, pretty awesome lights and they do their job well but it's very limited with the controller. Only ramp up/down and 2 channel control, whites or blues. Decent for the price.

Unread 12/25/2014, 07:11 PM   #13
slief
RC Sponsor

Any company that creates a comparison chart for marketing purposes and use "poor warranty" under cons for Kessil and Ecotech Radion is selling snake oil. Sorry but that is just ridiculous and couldn't be further from the truth. At least for US based customers. Both Ecotech and Kessil have some of the best support in the industry and back their warranties like no other. Further that, TMC doesn't even offer contact info on their US website so even with their 5 year warranty, who is one supposed to contact? TMC/Tropical Marine Centre makes decent products but they are based in the UK. I used their commercial UV filters for many years before switching to AquaUV.

That said, unless you are in Europe, forget about support. Quality Marine is said to be a wholesaler and doesn't provide end user support so god forbid you have an issue, you are going to be having a good time getting decent support let alone warranty service.

As for their light output. The truth is in the PAR numbers and from what I can see, these are better suited as Nano lights.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 12/25/2014 at 07:29 PM.
Unread 12/25/2014, 07:40 PM   #14
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwhoreefer View Post
Lol gcarol needs to take a chill pill...

To the op, I had some of these, pretty awesome lights and they do their job well but it's very limited with the controller. Only ramp up/down and 2 channel control, whites or blues. Decent for the price.
Oh please, he is correct in his response to a sanctimonious post full of BS (although a bit late), and the AquaRays are simply nothing special...

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
Unread 12/25/2014, 07:41 PM   #15
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Any company that creates a comparison chart for marketing purposes and use "poor warranty" under cons for Kessil and Ecotech Radion is selling snake oil. Sorry but that is just ridiculous and couldn't be further from the truth. At least for US based customers. Both Ecotech and Kessil have some of the best support in the industry and back their warranties like no other. Further that, TMC doesn't even offer contact info on their US website so even with their 5 year warranty, who is one supposed to contact? TMC/Tropical Marine Centre makes decent products but they are based in the UK. I used their commercial UV filters for many years before switching to AquaUV.

That said, unless you are in Europe, forget about support. Quality Marine is said to be a wholesaler and doesn't provide end user support so god forbid you have an issue, you are going to be having a good time getting decent support let alone warranty service.

As for their light output. The truth is in the PAR numbers and from what I can see, these are better suited as Nano lights.
Exactly...

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
Unread 01/09/2015, 06:10 PM   #16
Trigger334
Registered Member.

Quote:
Household name? I beg to differ. A quick google search will reveal very little discussion regarding this product. Most of all talk on this light is done on various blog sites. who are all regurgitating the info released from the manufacturer.
You can search Google UK and you will find much more information. Or how about some UK magazines, some UK retail sites, or aquarium professionals?

Quote:
Every brand you just mentioned produces more PUR than the Aquaray.
No, TMC uses far less resources to attain the same PUR of US manufacturers. (12-30 watts vs. 120-300 watts) Who's producing more PUR per watt. Not to mention operating cost long-term.

Quote:
Show us the results of those using the Aquaray.
Do a little homework and you'll find them. Really the first results in Google shows some great growth from AquaRay. Check out National Oceanography Centre in London using AquaRay LED Lighting. That's results.

Quote:
It is also called debating.
Debating is using facts and you guys are missing the facts and the tone you take when writing your responses tries to make others feel like they don't know what they are talking about.

Quote:
Any company that creates a comparison chart for marketing purposes and use "poor warranty" under cons for Kessil and Ecotech Radion is selling snake oil.
LEDs are such a new tech, you want a warranty. I'm sure this is why it's in the comparison chart. One LED fixture fails when it's out of warranty and it's an expensive fix. Anyone could have just purchase a little more expensive LED and saved the extra cost of a replacement LED, save money in the long run. Warranties are huge for this tech and 5 years completely beats out the 1 to 2 year cheap warranties we have. How many times do we hear about LEDs burning out in the fixture. All the time!!! TMC provides a whole fixture replacement all the way up to 5 years. The valve of $$ is huge and it's a insurance.

You're also missing all the other important tech in TMC, some of which is patented.

Quote:
Sorry but that is just ridiculous and couldn't be further from the truth. At least for US based customers. Further that, TMC doesn't even offer contact info on their US website so even with their 5 year warranty, who is one supposed to contact?

Warranty Support! How about the people who sell the AquaRays in the US!!! Im sorry sir, but you don't know what you are talking about here. Including that these are just Nano lights. You are not understanding the tech of the AquaRay.

Here's a US on-line retailer of AquaRay with a very good reputation for product support.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/LEDLights.html

Here's right from there selling page:
"Warranty for 5 years on lamp/emitter unit (which generally is with the NEWEST version of the fixture) and 2 years on the power supply
Most other Aquarium LED units are ONLY 1 or 2 years and even then, these have to be returned for lengthy repairs while we generally provide a brand new replacement LED fixture IMMEDIATELY!!
NO OTHER AQUARIUM LED SELLER MATCHES OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!
You will not get this customer service from any of the parasite retailers such as those in Canada using our hard work & research to sell AquaRay Lighting with no product backing or knowledge."

This is not a factual debate, this is just people throwing around their misinformed opinions.

Last edited by Trigger334; 01/09/2015 at 06:28 PM.
Unread 01/09/2015, 08:01 PM   #17
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger334 View Post
Just not many people in Reef Central know it or support it. They have their own sponsors that run this forum.
Sponsors do not run this forum. Aside from sounding like you work for TMC you are clearly misinformed on how this forum operates.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
Unread 01/09/2015, 09:21 PM   #18
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
You can search Google UK and you will find much more information. Or how about some UK magazines, some UK retail sites, or aquarium professionals?

No, TMC uses far less resources to attain the same PUR of US manufacturers. (12-30 watts vs. 120-300 watts) Who's producing more PUR per watt. Not to mention operating cost long-term.

Do a little homework and you'll find them. Really the first results in Google shows some great growth from AquaRay. Check out National Oceanography Centre in London using AquaRay LED Lighting. That's results.

Debating is using facts and you guys are missing the facts and the tone you take when writing your responses tries to make others feel like they don't know what they are talking about.

LEDs are such a new tech, you want a warranty. I'm sure this is why it's in the comparison chart. One LED fixture fails when it's out of warranty and it's an expensive fix. Anyone could have just purchase a little more expensive LED and saved the extra cost of a replacement LED, save money in the long run. Warranties are huge for this tech and 5 years completely beats out the 1 to 2 year cheap warranties we have. How many times do we hear about LEDs burning out in the fixture. All the time!!! TMC provides a whole fixture replacement all the way up to 5 years. The valve of $$ is huge and it's a insurance.

You're also missing all the other important tech in TMC, some of which is patented.

Warranty Support! How about the people who sell the AquaRays in the US!!! Im sorry sir, but you don't know what you are talking about here. Including that these are just Nano lights. You are not understanding the tech of the AquaRay.

Here's a US on-line retailer of AquaRay with a very good reputation for product support.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/LEDLights.html

Here's right from there selling page:
"Warranty for 5 years on lamp/emitter unit (which generally is with the NEWEST version of the fixture) and 2 years on the power supply
Most other Aquarium LED units are ONLY 1 or 2 years and even then, these have to be returned for lengthy repairs while we generally provide a brand new replacement LED fixture IMMEDIATELY!!
NO OTHER AQUARIUM LED SELLER MATCHES OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!
You will not get this customer service from any of the parasite retailers such as those in Canada using our hard work & research to sell AquaRay Lighting with no product backing or knowledge."

This is not a factual debate, this is just people throwing around their misinformed opinions.
What?? Misinformed opinion? The company you linked to doesn't accept phone calls as noted in their FAQ and doesn't even have a number listed.

"WE APOLOGIZE for any inconvenience not having a direct phone line may cause. HOWEVER, the costs in employee time alone results in business losses. On top of that, not having a written record for technical issues could result in fraudulent charge backs and this results in CONSIDERABLE financial losses!!.
Part of the reason for no phone service is a considerable amount of calls we have taken went on to ask questions that lasted 20 or more minutes, which were already in our extensive articles. There has also been calls, which have become verbally abusive to our employees. "

That's just brilliant! Great way to support customers! LOL

Everything is handled by email. No advance exchanges but you can buy another unit and get a partial reiumbusement. A longer warranty is great but if I can't get ahold of a person by phone, I'll sacrafice warranty time for quality of support in conjunction with a North American company that actually answers their phone.

Bottom line, I can't afford to be without my lights for days at a time let alone play circle jerk with a company on support that can only be reached via email communications. I run a computer manufacturing and distribution business and know the value of support so you my freind are preaching to the choir. I would not do business with any company that doesn't have a phone number. If I ran my business the way this company does, I'd be out of business.

If these lights were so great and this distributor was as well, this wonderful support that you preach of would be backed up with a live body who answers a published number and uses excuses as to why they don't.

If I didn't know better, I'd guess you have some vested interest in this product or company.

I am however sorry for my tone..

I am also not questioning TMC's quality. I ran their commercial UV for many years and it was a very well built unit that was very similar to the AquaUV Classic design. Like I said, they make decent stuff but their (TMC) US page doesn't list contact info and the company you mentioned doesn't have a phone number per the FAQ and won't take calls. Not a great way of doing business if you ask me.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 01/09/2015 at 10:14 PM.
Unread 01/10/2015, 03:23 AM   #19
Steve Atkins
Registered Member

Interesting discussion.

The Aquabeam lights are not sold here in NZ so you have to import them yourself. You can get the Radion, Zetlight and a few other also rans but that is about it.

So, after a few weeks web research I have ordered three of the Aquabeam 2000 riles and two of the 1500 tiles from the UK.

I am moving my stock, well some of it anyway, from a large tank with 4 x 400W metal halides and two 140W actinic tubes to a smaller tank with just the Aquabeams so they had better work - time will tell.

I do have room for two more tiles but hope not to need them.

Steve

Unread 01/10/2015, 12:52 PM   #20
Trigger334
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
Sponsors do not run this forum. Aside from sounding like you work for TMC you are clearly misinformed on how this forum operates.
There are many "big name" sponsors in this forum. You do not think they have any influence over this forum? Why would these sponsors even sponsor then? You may not see it directly, but there is a strong here for the sponsors who either give cash or product contributions. Given the internet presents of this forum, it has a large influence over the hobby here in the US. Big name forums and big name retailers.

You cannot say these sponsors are here for the love of the hobby. We can agree to disagree?

Quote:
What?? Misinformed opinion? The company you linked to doesn't accept phone calls as noted in their FAQ and doesn't even have a number listed.

That's just brilliant! Great way to support customers! LOL
See how you attack the company, instead of go after the facts about the LEDs. Now the "debate" is regressing.

What do you think will happen, if you have a warranty issue with a other brand (within 1-2 years, that is)? Be without a light? If you can't be without a light, you put a deposit down for a new one, it's shipped to you, then you send the defective light for a return. Not down time. Returns are turned around within a day and when many take weeks. AquaRays give a FULL replacement, when others just do repairs. You even get the LATEST tech, up to 5 years. Others just repair the defective LED.

How and if this company has a phone, is up to them.

They also state they have AFTER HOURS support. Try getting that with a phone service. Do you provide after hours support for your computer company?

"Provide Customer service (to compliment our top notch researched articles) that responds to emails within an hour or two (often much less) during normal business hours.

Unlike most businesses in our field, We also check emails after hours and on weekends to provide immediate professional help for our customers or those simply asking questions about their fish or equipment.
In fact, based on statistics, the vast majority of such questions are not from customers.
"

Sounds pretty top notch.

How about we stick to the topic of the thread, which is about the AquaRays. Not try to bash something we know nothing about.

Last edited by Trigger334; 01/10/2015 at 01:00 PM.
Unread 01/10/2015, 01:19 PM   #21
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Quote:
There are many "big name" sponsors in this forum. You do not think they have any influence over this forum? Why would these sponsors even sponsor then?
The sponsors have influence over their section only, and instead of making ridiculous accusations, perhaps you should do some of that "research" you suggest others do. You will discover that RC does not coddle anyone, even sponsors, and if you had bothered to do that "research before making those silly accusations you would find many sponsors who have left because they were not allowed to have influence or make changes to how this forum operates.

Sponsors are here because this is a very easy way to add to their support and a way to get their products noticed by those who may not otherwise find them. It is a very cheap and effective way to advertise and support. Companies like TMC would not find this place very beneficial because it is open and allows discussions (sometimes they become heated) and people to voice their opinions, experiences and concerns. This is a good thing.

You should read this thread before you continue.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1790730

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
Unread 01/10/2015, 01:25 PM   #22
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
See how you attack the company, instead of go after the facts about the LEDs. Now the "debate" is regressing.

What do you think will happen, if you have a warranty issue with a other brand (within 1-2 years, that is)? Be without a light? If you can't be without a light, you put a deposit down for a new one, it's shipped to you, then you send the defective light for a return. Not down time. Returns are turned around within a day and when many take weeks. AquaRays give a FULL replacement, when others just do repairs. You even get the LATEST tech, up to 5 years. Others just repair the defective LED.

How and if this company has a phone, is up to them.

They also state they have AFTER HOURS support. Try getting that with a phone service. Do you provide after hours support for your computer company?

"Provide Customer service (to compliment our top notch researched articles) that responds to emails within an hour or two (often much less) during normal business hours.

Unlike most businesses in our field, We also check emails after hours and on weekends to provide immediate professional help for our customers or those simply asking questions about their fish or equipment.
In fact, based on statistics, the vast majority of such questions are not from customers.
"

Sounds pretty top notch.

How about we stick to the topic of the thread, which is about the AquaRays. Not try to bash something we know nothing about.
I'm not really attacking the company. I went with my lights (Kessils) for a number of reasons and support was one of the reasons. If a light fails under warranty, a replacement is sent out in advance. Not repair but an advance exchange. I think that is how Ecotech handles their warranties as well.

My biggest point with regards to my previous comments is that most quality manufacturers from any industry back their support with email and phone support instead of stating that they can't afford phone support because of the calls that last 20 plus minutes as stated in their FAQ. Phone support with such expensive items is pretty much a standard. To me a lack of phone support for the reasons they noted is the sign of a financially strapped company and typically companies that do business that way, don't last that long. I realize this company you linked to says they have been around a long time but their reasoning for not providing phone support wouldn't give me the warm and fuzzy if I was a perspective customer.

Anyway, I am glad you like these lights and this company so much. I don't think you are going to find many US based customers here for a number of reasons, not the least of which is their distribution partner. This is not a knock on the company or the lights but rather the way they are being supported and marketed.

I'm sure in Europe where TMC is better known and better supported, things are different and probably for good reason but I don't see people banging the doors down for these lights in the states let alone talking about them. In this case, that is probably not because they aren't good lights but instead because their US distribution partner isn't marketing them and can only be reached via email.

I still wonder what your dog in this fight is. You seem awfully defensive of this distributor and the product. In your year or so here, this is the only thread you have started and the only discussion you participated in which makes me wonder if you are somehow affiliated with TMC or this other company.

Unread 01/10/2015, 01:29 PM   #23
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post

You should read this thread before you continue.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1790730
Bingo!!

Just as I suspected. This guy does have a dog in this fight. No wonder he wouldn't comment on my suspicions I noted earlier in this thread. He works or owns American Aquarium Products. He's not inquiring about these lights. He's pushing them under the guise of a perspective customer.

Unread 01/10/2015, 01:36 PM   #24
SneekaPeek
Registered Member

wanna see a good read check this out. I own some aquabeams 1000hd and they produce near to natural lighting. Im not a big fan of the red purple green and uv spotlights that give off weird unnatural hues to the tank.

Had an led go out on 2 units and warranty was a piece of cake. quality marine stepped their game up sent me a new unit and I sent them the old one. Just have to email them and figure out if its covered under warranty.

I Couldn't be happier with these lights, however a loss in control features compared to other company controllers. Although, the added features on most controllers are unnecessary if you think about it; a simple dawn and dusk and a nice added storm function is all is needed. Keeps its raw time pretty on point. after 5 years owning I had to change the actual time by 27 minutes. Example, in the beginning the controller was set at 15:00 hours, 5 years later the actual time was 15:27 on controller.

http://www.fish-as-pets.com/2013/11/...ua-ray-ho.html

Unread 01/10/2015, 02:02 PM   #25
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneekaPeek View Post
wanna see a good read check this out. I own some aquabeams 1000hd and they produce near to natural lighting. Im not a big fan of the red purple green and uv spotlights that give off weird unnatural hues to the tank.

Had an led go out on 2 units and warranty was a piece of cake. quality marine stepped their game up sent me a new unit and I sent them the old one. Just have to email them and figure out if its covered under warranty.

I Couldn't be happier with these lights, however a loss in control features compared to other company controllers. Although, the added features on most controllers are unnecessary if you think about it; a simple dawn and dusk and a nice added storm function is all is needed. Keeps its raw time pretty on point. after 5 years owning I had to change the actual time by 27 minutes. Example, in the beginning the controller was set at 15:00 hours, 5 years later the actual time was 15:27 on controller.

http://www.fish-as-pets.com/2013/11/...ua-ray-ho.html
Good to hear you like them. I'm sure they are decent lights.

FWIW, that Fish-as-pets site link you posted happens to be owned by the distributor American Aquarium Products. That is marketing fluff being promoted by the distributor. Certainly not an objective comparison.

Here is a who-is lookup on Fish-As-Pets.com

You can see the owner of the company in question, loves RC... He wrote a nice little article and even quoted all of us in there.. From what I can tell, Aquarium Opinions is somehow related to this distributor and if nothing else, their blogger absolutely without question is. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that copyright infringement copying our posts without permission from RC for use in a blog? There is a copyright notice at the bottom of every thread and forum here.
http://aquariumopinions.com/2014/12/...-reef-central/

Last edited by slief; 01/10/2015 at 02:10 PM.
Closed Thread