Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2015, 10:16 PM   #1
splix
Registered Member

Added sand after water, I'm an idiot

yup. Thought it was the right thing to do, to add the sand after the water. Not quite sure what I was thinking there. Now it's just cloudy.

I've got the heaters and power heads going. My water level isnt high enough to go over my overflow until tomorrow, so it's not going through any sock filters yet. It's been a long 5 days filling this tank up with RO/DI water (155 gal).

Am I right in leaving the power heads on? Tomorrow I'll have enough water made to run through the sump, which should help.

splix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 10:18 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

Lol---it'll be fine. You won't be able to see a thing for days, but as the bacterial 'skin' forms on the sand grains they will sink to the bottom and the water will become clear.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 10:25 PM   #3
geekengineer
Registered Member

Could you use that p-clear water clarifier stuff? if you want I don't know if it works ok for saltwater but that might speed the process as long as the additive doesn't cause issues etc.

geekengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 11:13 PM   #4
Kingsixx
Registered Member

The one thing I'm learning from reading the wealth of information that is Reef Central, is that this hobby is a patient man's game. Don't rush things, let it run its course and it should clear up in no time.

Kingsixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 11:40 PM   #5
PfenWendt
Registered Member

If you realllllly wanted to clear it up, i did the same thing but mine was with a tank move, so i had buckets of LR and coral that needed to go back into the tank asap. I used this stuff made by Kent called 'pro clear' Water was pretty clear within 12 hours.

Current Tank Info: 55g reef tank, 65g red sea max c-250 reef, Innovative marine fusion 10 nano reef, And just getting into breeding clowns! :)
PfenWendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2015, 12:20 AM   #6
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

I cant see how that pro clear stuff would work on sand dust. If you want you can run filter socks or a filter pad, that will catch all the dust but as said in time it will all settle once the bacteria starts to grab hold

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2015, 05:04 AM   #7
gone fishin
Registered Member

It will eventually settle down. If you have a sump a filter sock will help but keep an eye out and change as needed.

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2015, 06:30 AM   #8
splix
Registered Member

Yeah I'm just mad at myself for the noob mistake haha. 9 hours laters, I can hardly start to see the bottom of my live rock through the front of the glass. Oh well....haha.

I'm in no rush. Lights will be here monday, tank will have nothing to do but cycle until then.

Unread 10/21/2015, 06:43 AM   #9
jgraz
Registered Member

I did this in my first tank. A 44g pentagon. Filled with fresh saltwater then realized I forgot to put the sand in. I then proceeded to pour sand straight from the bag unwashed. 60lbs of sugar sized grains. By the next morning the water was crystal clear with only a HOB filter running.

jgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2015, 06:51 AM   #10
toothybugs
In Memoriam

In the grand scheme of reefing, that is hardly a mistake. A casual, passing annoyance at best and a one-time deal in setting your tank up

toothybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2015, 07:07 AM   #11
splix
Registered Member

Here's the kicker. It got so cloudy I couldnt tell where my live rock was so I stopped after 2 bags. I have another bad I need to do, so it's going to happen again haha. Then I need to get the sand off the top of my rock.
I was pouring straight from the bag also since it's "live sand" and was advised not to wash it or anything.

I've looked at the bottle method, I'll give that a try.

Unread 10/21/2015, 09:53 AM   #12
Sk8r
RC Mod

Turkey baster will blow off the rock, and forget any sculpting of the sand: fish take care of that. My sandbed is constantly acquiring hollows and hills, thanks to a pair of gobies.

Don't add clarifiers or such, really. Your tank chemistry will take care of it like it never happened.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2015, 03:46 PM   #13
splix
Registered Member

it got around 75% clear late afternoon, until i decided to wipe the sand off the LR.
It's not that bad, it's clearing fairly quickly. I was just worried about these people talking about it taking weeks.
I'll probably add the rest of the sand and try to clear the rest of the rocks tomorrow when it clears up enough.

Unread 10/21/2015, 04:05 PM   #14
anthonys51
Registered Member.

your not mixing the saltwater in the tank are you. your mixing in a separate bucket

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2015, 05:23 PM   #15
JammyBirch
Aquaria Engineering

It's not a mistake at all. Sounds like you filled with RODI so you likely killed the bacteria in the sand but it will come back too.

It's possible to add sand to a tank without clouding the water, use a 2l bottle. Put the sand in the bottle, submerge the bottle spout down and let the sand flow out close to the surface. It washes the sand for you.

Pretty sweet, check it out on YouTube.

Current Tank Info: 25 gallon cube
JammyBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2015, 07:44 PM   #16
stingeragent
Registered Member

You can also pour the sand in via a funnel and pvc pipe. Either way it will clear.

stingeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2015, 07:58 PM   #17
leemosh
Registered Member

I've done that before, too. It's no big deal. After it clears, it will pretty much stay clear.

Good luck with your new tank!

leemosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2015, 07:58 PM   #18
BillNye
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragent View Post
You can also pour the sand in via a funnel and pvc pipe. Either way it will clear.
+1 This is what I do. Works great, no clouds. I've found that turning off all pumps and powerheads lets the sand settle faster.

Current Tank Info: 125G
BillNye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2015, 11:58 PM   #19
alexXx
Registered Member

that's pretty funny but lesson learned you should have fun with the fine powder all over everything.

alexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2015, 10:09 AM   #20
smoothie7
Registered Member

I wouldn't worry about it. No need to rush it anyways. It should clear up in a few days anyways

smoothie7 is offline   Reply With Quote