Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2016, 12:30 PM   #1
ceruleanseaslug
Registered Member

Weird Ammonia Issues

I have a biocube 29 with some lps, soft corals, a rock flower anemone, a clownfish, a pygmy red rooster waspfish, and a flame hawk. (I'm taking it back to the lfs today because it's too aggressive. My corals haven't been doing incredibly lately, and I have 0 nitrates, 0 nitrite, and 0 phosphate. What I do have is 0.25 ammonia and I don't know why it's there. I don't have any filtration besides live rock, and I do five gallon water changes at least once a week. I put in a little seachem prime but I know I need to find a permanent solution. Could my cycle have crashed?

ceruleanseaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2016, 01:28 PM   #2
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

.25 could be a testing noise. If the ammonia oxidizing bacteria crashed or was significantly suppressed for some reason, I'd expect a higher reading than 0.25 with fish and food in the system. What do you use to maintain 0 PO4?

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2016, 01:34 PM   #3
jminick2
Registered Member

testing noise lemme guess API, plus maybe a little from salt. If your tank has been set up for awhile and is properly cycled there is really no point in testing ammonia unless something big died or you added liverock. I'm sure its fine.

jminick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2016, 04:01 PM   #4
ceruleanseaslug
Registered Member

Okay well I'll still have to figure out why the corals aren't doing incredibly well. Thank you.

Unread 02/20/2016, 04:03 PM   #5
ceruleanseaslug
Registered Member

And honestly I dont do anything to maintain 0 P04 so I guess that might also be a problem with the test kit. It doesn't make any sense to me that it's at 0.

Unread 02/20/2016, 09:29 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

I would keep dosing the Prime for a while, although I agree that the ammonia might be a measurement error. I'd probably get a second opinion on the test kit before doing anything.

Unread 02/21/2016, 09:08 AM   #7
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Well PO4 can read low especially in new tanks with new sand and light feeding. In any case , I doubt a phosphate deficiency is limiting the ammonia oxidizing bacteria. .25 false readings for ammonia seem to occur with many test kits from time to time.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2016, 09:20 AM   #8
theman772
Registered Member

Ammonia

How old is your Prime if it's dead you are adding ammonia

theman772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2016, 08:55 AM   #9
ceruleanseaslug
Registered Member

I've only had it for a couple of months and I usually don't add it all I only started when I got the readings