Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06/14/2017, 12:48 AM   #26
Punchanello
Registered Member

A lot of man-made rock products don't claim to have the same properties as reef rock such as being porous or capable of housing denitrifying bacteria. Is it necessary to cure it?

Punchanello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2017, 10:28 PM   #27
mfin77
Registered Member

Do I need an air stone to cure the rock. Or is the bacteria anaerobic? I'm not using a skimmer just a pump to move water. Thanks

mfin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2017, 08:17 AM   #28
Ihuntbugs
Registered Member

I would use a heater too. And keep curing. Definitely put somewhere there is no light to starve of unwanted pests. I did this for about 4-5 months. Killed everything off my rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ihuntbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2017, 06:42 PM   #29
Opes
Registered Member

I recently cleaned old live rock that had dried up from a previous tank. I did a chlorine bath and then soaked and rinsed several times with fresh RODI. I currently have the rock in a trash can with about 10 lbs of new live rock from an established tank. I also used water out of the same established reef. Now all I have going is a power head to move water.

Do I need to do anything else to get this rock ready? I plan on moving into my display in a couple weeks and let it finishing the cycle there.

Should I add some light to jump start coraline?

Opes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2017, 08:36 PM   #30
jbsengineer
Registered Member

Quote:
3. Dry rock. You CAN put it all into the tank and wait 12 weeks for a cycle, but I dont recommend it.
I'm curious why not? I'm starting fresh and don't mind putting 100+ of pukani is a trash can to cure or in the display tank. I struggle what the difference is between the two since I will do a complete water change either way. Thoughts?

jbsengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2017, 09:32 AM   #31
SFKINNC
Registered Member

I’m setting up a new 32 Gallon Bio Cube. This will be my first reef tank. Previous marine tanks back in the 70s and early 80s used UG filters and dead coral skeletons that had been bleached. I have some leftover pieces of coral skeletons. I also have some porous rocks that were taken from beaches on the Atlantic coast. Both of these have been used as decorative pieces in my garden and will be washed. I was hoping to use these along with some live rock, dry sand from Petsmart, and maybe some GARF grunge to liven things up a bit. I could use advice on how to do this. Also, any ideas on a good current source for good quality live rock? Thanks!

SFKINNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2017, 01:54 PM   #32
wbond
Registered Member

I'm questioning what I should do here. I took rock out of my tank this spring. I left it outside to dry out and it has since been sitting dry in my basement. Do I have to cycle this in a container with a heater and power head or could I rinse it and put it in my sump? There is some dead coral on it.

wbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2017, 01:58 PM   #33
DeepBlueSea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbond View Post
I'm questioning what I should do here. I took rock out of my tank this spring. I left it outside to dry out and it has since been sitting dry in my basement. Do I have to cycle this in a container with a heater and power head or could I rinse it and put it in my sump? There is some dead coral on it.
How many pounds??

Id throw it in a tub, heater, powerhead and a shrimp to cycle it. Let the dead stuff cook off before placing it into the system.

DeepBlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2017, 02:02 PM   #34
wbond
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at about 10lbs at most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlueSea View Post
How many pounds??

Id throw it in a tub, heater, powerhead and a shrimp to cycle it. Let the dead stuff cook off before placing it into the system.

wbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2017, 07:44 PM   #35
SFKINNC
Registered Member

Cure it

All the dead stuff that dried on your used to be live rock, has to be removed or it will poison the tanks inhabitants. That means you have to cure it away from the tank just as if it were new.

SFKINNC is offline   Reply With Quote