Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/07/2017, 05:09 PM   #26
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy306 View Post
Completely disagree. Maybe for smaller community fish, but sumps are not unnecessary for all FW fish. I could stick a dozen HOB filters on the tanks with my big FW predators and they still wouldn't do the job. Small fish, sure, I'll agree with you, but something that is a big and messy eater needs more than a HOB or even a canister can provide.
What kind of predators are you keeping?

I had a 300 gallon Central American tank with Black belt cichlids, etc. I was running a homemade "cannister" made from a water conditioning unit. Now that I think of it, it was actually a type of sump. I didn't think of it that way, but I guess it was.

About 35-40 gallon cylinder with a reverse flow filter and filled with lava rock. A giant canister filter, if you will. But not enclosed. So, a sump.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 05:13 PM   #27
fishguy306
Registered Member

Lol! Yeah sounds a bit sump like!

I personally focus on fw stingrays, but also keep dats and peacock bass. In the past there have been arowanas as well.

fishguy306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 11:38 PM   #28
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Lol! Yeah sounds a bit sump like!

I personally focus on fw stingrays, but also keep dats and peacock bass. In the past there have been arowanas as well.
What is a dat? A Datnoid?

You weren't kidding about predators. One of my clients used to vacation in Central America just to fish for peacocks.

I've never kept arowanas or stingrays. The guy who got me involved in this stupid hobby 50 years ago got bitten pretty good way back then by an arowana - first time I saw toothmarks on an aquarist.

And get this: The Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga had to remove their arowanas from the outdoor exhibit - seems people were hanging over the railing to get a better look and were getting nailed in the face by monkeyfish!

Unread 12/08/2017, 10:08 AM   #29
fishguy306
Registered Member

Yes, sorry, Datnoids.

I love peacock bass, such cool fish when bigger, but the really do become monsters. Really all of my list does I guess.

Too funny about the aquarium having to more their arowanas! I hadn't heard that story before, but with as well as they jump I believe it. Pretty impressive to see them leap for food.

fishguy306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 12:20 PM   #30
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, sorry, Datnoids.
Too funny about the aquarium having to more their arowanas! I hadn't heard that story before, but with as well as they jump I believe it. Pretty impressive to see them leap for food.
Not a story! - I was told that by aquarium employees when I complained about not seeing the arowanas. To beat all, I, myself, used to lean over and gawk at them - one time I told my wife, "I'd better be careful - these things might jump up here and bite my nose." Damned if it didn't happen to someone else!