Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12/04/2017, 11:26 AM   #1
mbrady
Registered Member

Question Calculation of Aquarium Turnover

When determining the number of PVC connections (90 degree & 45 degree elbows) do you include the Overflow plumbing or only the Return plumbing? I would assume the lengths of PVC piping be it vertical or horizontal for the Overflow system would follow suit. I am installing the Synergy Reef Ghost overflow utilizing the Bean animal method. Also, do you include the volume in the sump or only the display Tank?
Thank You for your help.
Mike

mbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2017, 11:51 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Don't complicate it..The "recommended" rates are so generic anyways there is absolutely no reason to get so "fancy" with your calculations....

I have never calculated any elbows,etc.. into any "ballpark".. (now I "might" throw in a fudge factor if my pipe work is going to be "complex" due to some reason)
I just go.. "Ok this pump says it will do 300GPH at 5ft of head.. My tank is about 5 ft above my sump.. My display tank is 80 gallons... So 3 x 80G = 240GPH.. close enough.."

If one were to really be "fancy" about it they would look at the uptake/processing speed of whats in the sump as thats what really matters.. No point in pumping water through it at 300GPH if all the equipment can only process 50GPH.. And there are just way to many variables to even calculate that..
Ballpark it and go..

Old 12/04/2017, 01:35 PM   #3
mbrady
Registered Member

Mcgyvr,

Thank you so much for the response. My tank size is 120 Gallons and I plan on using a Sicce Syncra 5.0 return pump. Looking at the head pressure chart at five feet it would be 1,000 GPH. If you assume a 100 gallons of water that equates to a turnover of 10 times.
However if you use the calculator and add in all 90's and etc. the flow drops to 550 gallons or a turn over 5.5 . My concern is Do I have the right return pump? or will I run into problems with a syphon overflow (Bean Animal)

mbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2017, 02:22 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

IMO.. you certainly won't have problems with the bean overflow.. It can handle that with ease..
BUT.. 10x is likely far more than you need and you could easily go with a Syncra 4.0

The energy difference is pretty minimal though so you can certainly stay with the 5 if you want and actually just valve it down if you want to save some energy....

Old 12/05/2017, 06:29 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

You must have a heck of a lot of plumbing to drop the flow in half. Either that or you are using pipe that is too small.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote