Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12/04/2017, 03:04 PM   #1
allendehl
Registered Member

How do you choose your corals and anemones?

Yeah....I know..one of those questions

I am a bit overwhelmed when it comes to planing how I want my tank to look like in the future.
With so many choices of anemones, SPS, softies, etc I don't really know where to start. My fear is to go with the "beginner" stuff and in the future realize I am full of not so great looking or "cheap' stuff and not have a way out.
Also, I am terrible at making things pretty so I'd like to know how you got to build your super awesome tanks. How you chose what to buy and how/where to place it and combine it in your tank.

Thank you in advance!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2017, 03:32 PM   #2
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

You buy your corals that can grow and prosper based on what kind of lighting you buy. Same for anemones. Softies can be grown in lower light conditions. SPS and anemones need much brighter lighting.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2017, 03:37 PM   #3
hkgar
Registered Member

Softies are easier than SPS and may be a good starting point, but they will tend to take over a tank. Do some research in the sub forums.

I started, as do most, with softies and eventually switched to SPS. It is not easy to do, but because mushrooms took over and the LFS gave me store credit for the mushrooms and replaced the rock pound for pound I could switch over easily.

Anemones like to move around and a tank with SPS may see coral damaged from them. I had clowns and an anemone but now just clowns.

Try what YOU want and see how it goes. I have never wished I didn't have any of the tank types I have had and glad to have experienced them.

180 gallon, 30 gallon sump, 3 250W Radiums,4 ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Reef Octopus CaRx

Current Tank Info: Yellow/Purple, Red Head, Hoevans, Possum Wrasses, 2 Barred Rabbit, Cherub & Spotbreast Angle, Kole, Purple & Atlantic Blue Tangs, Matted Filefish, 2 Percula Clown, 4 PJ Cardinals
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2017, 09:05 PM   #4
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
You buy your corals that can grow and prosper based on what kind of lighting you buy. Same for anemones. Softies can be grown in lower light conditions. SPS and anemones need much brighter lighting.
Tell that to my LTA!!
I replaced my 4x55 watt power compact light.. with a 4 x65 watt PC light with 2 X 250 watt M.H. lights...
With just the one 250 mh light on.. on the opposite side of tank... my nem almost imploded lol. It puckered right up... haven't used the M.H since :-(

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2017, 11:14 PM   #5
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Lol^

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 01:08 PM   #6
Uncle99
Registered Member

In softies and LPS look for colour, health, size and note that price usually dictates this.
Watch non photosynthetic and watch mixing in SPS this can be problematic, can be done, but the differences in environment creates the difficulty.
Research each before you by and watch carefully for hitchhikers especially aptasia and bug like things.....dip them in a reef safe solution before adding them....
Go slow....add I little at a time....just what you think is the best....this gives time for the environment to catch up with the new additions.
And have fun...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 01:10 PM   #7
Uncle99
Registered Member

If your going to do the anenome thing, I always do him first and wait until he has not moved for a month.....then place my corals......the anenomes has a sting which can kill corals.

Old 12/06/2017, 02:13 PM   #8
allendehl
Registered Member

Thanks a lot, great tips!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 03:33 PM   #9
Cancun
Registered Member

I agree with everyone else...also I am fortunate to have a few great LFS's close to me...so I buy local...I prefer to not buy site unseen...I also started out with softies...then moved to LPS...then added a few SPS...I waited until my tank was a year old before I added my first nem....when choosing a nem make sure the foot is healthy...no damage....Google pics of healthy nems if you have too....also if the nem is attached to a piece of live rock ask the LFS if you can buy the nem still attached to the live rock.

Innovative Marine SR80 80 gallon aquarium....I love wrasses....have leopards....several Coris....and Fairy wrasses....large ORA Deresa Clam....large blue Haddoni carpet....4 Rose BT...split 3 times...

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 80 gallon SR series
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2017, 11:28 AM   #10
Sk8r
RC Mod

By your lights. If you have strong, full-spectrum light, you can have stony coral and clams. If medium light, you can have soft coral and lowlight stony like bubble coral.

Anemones are not friendly to coral. The fight can take down a tank. Experts can combine them, but don't try it for a start-up.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge lps reef: 3 firefish, yellowhead jawfish, yellow watchman, 3 chromis, tailspot/starry blennies, pink margin fairy wrasse, mandarin, kalk, radion pro, gyre, Eshopps s-200 skimmer, basement sump.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2017, 11:35 AM   #11
mcgyvr
Registered Member

How I choose is as follows...

I see what I personally like with my eyes and not what someone else tells me is the thing to have or whatever..
I learn whats required for me to have that thing..
I plan/learn/adapt/adjust as needed to get whats required or I decide that its more than I want to do so I pass...

I may find I need to upgrade my lighting or improve my stability or do whatever.. It its something I'm willing to do then I do.. If not I pass..
But its all about what I like in a tank and how much I'm willing to do for that..

Old 12/07/2017, 12:22 PM   #12
CRreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancun View Post
I agree with everyone else...also I am fortunate to have a few great LFS's close to me...so I buy local...I prefer to not buy site unseen...I also started out with softies...then moved to LPS...then added a few SPS...I waited until my tank was a year old before I added my first nem....when choosing a nem make sure the foot is healthy...no damage....Google pics of healthy nems if you have too....also if the nem is attached to a piece of live rock ask the LFS if you can buy the nem still attached to the live rock.
Well i only have one LFS, and there is not many options .
have to drive 1 hour to get better price/quality

CRreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2017, 12:38 PM   #13
Uncle99
Registered Member

Anenomes can take down a tank cause they are not friendly...Now that I find interesting!
While absolutely true....never had one touch, sting, or kill a coral in more than 25 years unless it was a carpet which best kept alone cause they are brutal.
Maybe this is only because I waited until they stop moving for more than a month before adding coral and giving a min of 10 inches of space from full inflation.

Old 12/07/2017, 03:33 PM   #14
hkgar
Registered Member

Ten inches of radius around an anemone is a lot of space to give up. I have had anemones before and even after they have been located for awhile they can and do decide to move. Maybe mine were just ADH.

180 gallon, 30 gallon sump, 3 250W Radiums,4 ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Reef Octopus CaRx

Current Tank Info: Yellow/Purple, Red Head, Hoevans, Possum Wrasses, 2 Barred Rabbit, Cherub & Spotbreast Angle, Kole, Purple & Atlantic Blue Tangs, Matted Filefish, 2 Percula Clown, 4 PJ Cardinals
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote