Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Connecticut Area Regional Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2008, 09:07 PM   #1
pecan2phat
Registered Member

Some Pics

Hi everyone,
I'm a transplant from Long Island Moved up here last April and brought all my tanks up but in the rush I've had two nasty wipeouts due to parasites & bacterial.
So my 180g fowlr is fishless for the moment and will complete the fallow period in another week to 10 days. Thanks to coralfever who helped me move this into my dining room:

The 180g drains into a 75g sump one level down in the basement. An additional 100g LPS tank is tied to the system so the total water volume is about 280g after rock & sand displacement:

I built a wall to close off the sump room and also did a cutout for my 120g reef tank. It's more like a take out counter cutout

pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2008, 09:09 PM   #2
pecan2phat
Registered Member

The back of the 120g and equipment:

This is my QT station:

Hopefully, I'll make it to one of the meetings and meet all you nice folks.

And last thing, thanks to Bob from Exotic fish & Corals for selling salt to us hobbiest at mail order prices. Between that and Wallingford electrical rates, I think this will work nicely

Unread 01/27/2008, 09:17 PM   #3
mikelaubach
Registered Member

Amazing. I WISH my wife would let me have that much water in the house! :-)

Welcome to CTARS and the area.

--MIKE--

Current Tank Info: 65G drilled, 10G sump, MCE600 skimmer, BRS dual carbon GFO rector
mikelaubach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2008, 09:31 PM   #4
Fedcopmike
Moved On

Welcome to the area and the club, enter the tank of month!!!

Fedcopmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2008, 10:20 PM   #5
KingOfJericho
Registered Member

wow! Nice setups!!!

I was just in Wallingford the other day at the indoor karting track.

KingOfJericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2008, 10:29 PM   #6
MADtanks
Stix Anyone?

wow i so envy your systems just beut!!!

Current Tank Info: 24X24X20 AIO SPS Dom
MADtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2008, 11:12 PM   #7
ctreefer
Registered Member

Really nice tank setup. I am especially fond of the QT. Nice PVC stacking. Mind me asking how well the QT works with all those fish? Do you have a UV or protein skimmer in there. I always have the worst luck when quaranteening more than a couple fish in the same tank. any helpful hints would be appreciated.

And yes, welcome to CT. I hope you're considering entering for Featured tank of the month.

ctreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2008, 11:40 PM   #8
pecan2phat
Registered Member

Thanks for the compliments but these tanks are no way anyone's envy.
The 180g is fishless
The 120g are mostly frags cause I sold off all my corals prior to the move. I kept about 30 fish but unfortunately disaster struck about 4 weeks into the setup. Water was cold when I moved them last April and I added some new rock and sand which probably didn't help my nitrogen cycle The 120g was originally all SPS & clams but I can't say that since you guys spotted my Sebae in the tank with some acans & a lobo or two in there My second wipeout happened after I added a few ich magnets in without enough time in the QT. Second time around was down right nasty because it was ich and hemorraging. They were dropping every few days so I went fallow but I also hit the system with erythomycin for 9 treatments/16 days. The corals did fine though.
In the 120g, I use a Gen-X 40 for the return split into a 1/4 hp PCI chiller and a 40w Aqua Uv sterilizer. Then they both hit the tank through 3/4" Sea Swirls. Theres a closed loop for circulation utilizing a Dart through an OM 4-way with Revs on 2 back outlets. this is like my 3rd skimmer on this tank but I think that this H&S A200 w/2x1260 eheims works well. Simple K2R calcium reactor, Deltec FR509 for carbon, Phosban reactor for GFO & a MRC FMC 620 to hold Seachem DeNitrate media. The Lighting is dual mini stealth lummies (or coralvue, don't quite know) with 250w XM 10ks on Ice Cap ballast and VHO actinics also on IC ballast. Two 250w titanium heaters and a wall mounted fan. Most of this stuff is controlled by the ACIII.
So far my levels are pretty consistent with this tank. I will add magflake for the Mg once a month. Weekly I dose strontium and Salifert amino acids. Alk is constant at 9 DKH & Ca is stable at 425 ppm. My P04 stays at .04 if I change out the phosban every 2 months.

The 180g uses a Blueline 40 to two 3/4" Sea Swirls for a return. There are two Tunze 6000 in the back tied to an Aqua Surf for circulation and two Vortechs on the side panel also for circulation. Couple of 5" PC fans and lighting is 6 x 54w T5s. One bank of four in on an Ice Cap 660 and the remaining two is a standard ballast. The lights, fans & Aqua Surf is controlled by an Aqua Jr. All the other equipment is shared downstairs.
The 100g uses a Blueline 20 to a 40w Gamma UV sterilizer and out to a 1/2" Sea Swirl. There are two Tunze 6000 with a 7095 controller for circulation. Lighting consist of a Tek 6x39w fixture. there is also a shelf mounted fan to cool the tank surface and lights. There are two 500w titanium heaters in the sump.
The reason why I separated the pumps for the 100g & the 180g was twofold. One, I didn't want splashing, gurgling and a sock in my 100g and two I wanted to use the 100g drain as a direct feed to the skimmer.
So with the 280g of bulk water, there is a overflow fed Deltec AP702 as the skimmer, KM500 kalk stirrer (no Ca reactor on this system), Phosban reactor and a MRC FMC 422 for carbon. My original Reefkeeper is on this system, hence the Pinpoint PH & Orp monitors on the wall. I'm also utilizing a Red Sea ozonizer to inject 50 mg of ozone into one of the eheims on the skimmer. I use a Litermeter III for top off on the 120g and for the kalk stirrer on the 280 system.
With the kalk stirrer and no Ca reactor, I do need to adjust the Alk & Mg every week though

Last edited by pecan2phat; 01/28/2008 at 12:37 AM.
Unread 01/28/2008, 12:30 AM   #9
pecan2phat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ctreefer
Really nice tank setup. I am especially fond of the QT. Nice PVC stacking. Mind me asking how well the QT works with all those fish? Do you have a UV or protein skimmer in there. I always have the worst luck when quaranteening more than a couple fish in the same tank. any helpful hints would be appreciated.

And yes, welcome to CT. I hope you're considering entering for Featured tank of the month.
None of these tanks are tank of the month material!

The QT works well if you have it seasoned with a good biological filter. The air driven sponge filter method didn't quite work for me so I use a Fluval 104 keeping the sponges and using ceramic beads in the other chamber to maximize colonization. I also use a MJ1200 in the tank to agitate the surface more while adding a foam sleeve for additional bacteria surface. The Fluval is hooked up to a Pentair 10w UV sterilizer. What I think has also worked for me is that the fish that you see is in hypo which reduces the stress and hopefully rids them of parasites. If I see parasites, I will also dose with cupramine but at only .25 vs the .50 that they recommend. The French & Queen angel, Orange Shoulder & Clown tang, 6 damsels has been in the QT for 4 weeks now. I did a 5g water change (20g long tank) every 10 days and they are doing fine. I'm started to bring the salinity up today so that by the end of the week, they can hit the 180g, YEAH!
I wouldn't in all honesty recommend that you put that many fish in a 20g QT, I just like to push the envelope and this time the envelope didn't push back

Unread 01/28/2008, 07:08 AM   #10
MADtanks
Stix Anyone?

wow, i am really impressed with your equipment setup!! hope that your fish make it all the way i am having some cold water issues right now, my frag tubs are in the basement and i cant seem to keep the temps up. Just yesterday I added a 2" bulkhead(Closed loop on OMSS) to my tub and some new sand to add some reflectiveness from the black bottom, and my temps dropped to about 69 within maybe 2 or 3 hrs from 76!!! I am runing 3 heaters all 200's maybe i should go with 2 500W heaters like you, and switch them out for 2 200w in the summer. I dont know i am just having a really hard time with my temps... I lost 5 fish due to the harsh temps. Again I am very impressed with your equipment line up! its very very clean!

Unread 01/28/2008, 07:52 AM   #11
SparkPlug
Registered Member

how old is that big clam in the 120 ?

by the way,....tanks look great.

SparkPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2008, 10:20 AM   #12
T5PO
Registered Member

Thumbs up Great Reef

Very nice! I cant wait untill my skinney pecan gains wait and become Phat like yours.

Unread 01/28/2008, 07:41 PM   #13
bill37
Registered Member

That is an awesome setup. You should be very proud it.

bill37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2008, 10:06 PM   #14
pecan2phat
Registered Member

Spark,
The Derasa is about 2 yrs.

Unread 01/29/2008, 04:14 PM   #15
cato
New England

Sweet setup. I won't ask what your electric bill is.

Current Tank Info: On Hiatus
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2008, 10:10 PM   #16
pecan2phat
Registered Member

Not too bad IMO.
I average about $275 a month. We have no gas here and my heat, dryer & stove is electric so the $275 covers it all.

Remember, I'm from LI where my electric was about $350 + oil + gas so I'm happy as a pig in crap

With the RC electrical calculator, it's figuring out to be about $70 per setup so about $140 for my tanks and the rest is household.

Unread 01/29/2008, 10:11 PM   #17
MADtanks
Stix Anyone?

wow that is not bad at all!

Unread 01/29/2008, 10:38 PM   #18
ctreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pecan2phat
Not too bad IMO.
I average about $275 a month. We have no gas here and my heat, dryer & stove is electric so the $275 covers it all.

Remember, I'm from LI where my electric was about $350 + oil + gas so I'm happy as a pig in crap

With the RC electrical calculator, it's figuring out to be about $70 per setup so about $140 for my tanks and the rest is household.
Holy crow! one of my coworkers has a small cape in Bristol and has electric everything (no fish tanks or spas) and his electric bill every month is over $600. He's on a plan. Is Wallingford the city that has its own public electric utility. I know there are a couple in the state. For the most part I don't think CT's cost is much cheaper than LI though I'm probably wrong. I think you are not the norm when it comes to electrical costs in CT.

Unread 01/30/2008, 08:11 AM   #19
smilby36
Registered Member

yeah Wallingford is...my bill is $100 more a month the next town over from when I live in Wallingford.

Great set up

"Live for the Day"

Current Tank Info: 14 Gallon BioCube--skimmer and rio pump upgrade w/2 firefish, 3 clown gobies, royal psuede, orange spot goby, scarlet hermits,3 emerald crabs, turbo snails, cerith snails, mushrooms, zoo, zenia
smilby36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2008, 01:34 PM   #20
pecan2phat
Registered Member

Okay I hit $416 last month but overall it still averages a tad under $300 for the year

Found a link to my 120g and 102g before the tanks were broken down for my move to CT. The pics are 2 yrs old and some of the support equipment has since changed but I look at these pics and am guessing that them tanks looked a lot better then

Well onward we plow.........

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...ured-tank.html

Unread 06/14/2008, 04:20 PM   #21
pecan2phat
Registered Member

A few updated pics. Tanks are about the same, just more fish

Unread 06/14/2008, 04:53 PM   #22
patriots81
Registered Member

awesome tank!!!!!!!!!

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon tank
patriots81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2008, 06:15 PM   #23
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

nice!

8 Foot Envisions
InsaneClownFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2008, 06:19 PM   #24
ctreefer
Registered Member

Wow!!! I'm super impressed. Awesome tanks and beautiful fish. Do I count 5 flames in that one pic? How do you do it? Even the navarchus with the emperor is impressive. If I were to throw a navarchus in with my emperor he'd beat it to death.

Now you're definitely TOTM caliber!

Keep up the good work. BTW what's the fish that kinda looks like an anthias with the blotches on it?

Unread 06/14/2008, 06:30 PM   #25
pecan2phat
Registered Member

Thanks guys.

Took me a while to get the orange tail Emperator (christmas islands) and I took a chance since the tank was previously bionic ick infected.
There's also a Black Velvet or Gray Poma, Blue Face and I have the Goldflake & RS Regal waiting for QT jail time to be over.

CT, the anthias are called Blotched anthias (Holanthias borbonius), there are 5 of them in the 120g. I started with 7 but lost 2 due to swim bladder issues. (they are a deep water anthias that are not always brought up to the surface correctly)

In regards to the Flames, I started with 2 which wasn't too bad, a little bit of bickering. Then I added 3 more after about a month. Compatible....well not really. They chase each other around quite a bit but we'll see if it settles down. What's good and distracting is that the pair of clowns hate them so they all need to watch their backs on top of individual aggression