Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2008, 06:57 PM   #1
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

220gal Plywood/steel hybrid. Pull up a chair, this will take a while.

For all you fellow DIY junkies out there, I am going to maintain this build log of my next tank. It will take a while, so be patient.

The tank will have the front and one end glass. I plan on joining the two glass panels directly to each other with no wood in the corner. I will be running a wavebox, so I want this a rugged as practical. For extra insurance and to minimize the size of the perimeter braces, I will be using some angle iron encased in epoxy and wood. The glass will be 5/8 or 3/4 low iron.

The back of the tank will be right up against the wall, so I ruled out a centered location for the overflow plumbing. However, In order to run the wavebox the best way possible, I did come up with a solution to keep the overflow in the center of the rear wall of the tank, but the plumbing will be on one end.

Also, do to the certainty of some tank inhabitant getting into the overflow, I will be incorporating a viewing panel in there also. It will either be 1/4 or 3/8 glass.

The inside of the tank will have a several layers of fiberglass cloth in addition to the epoxy. Outside of the tank will also be glassed. Internally, my main objective is to have a very thick layer of protection so that there will be no chance of causing a chip that would allow water to reach the wood. This is a common weakness I see on many plywood tanks.

Anyway, where is the 1st batch of pics. Nothing has been glued yet, and I have not finalized the front to back depth yet.

Back of tank. Bracing will be glassed. All screws throughout are 1-5/8 every 3" or so material is 11 ply birch plywood.

Inside of overflow box. Probably will be an additional hole for 1" bulkhead. The two existing holes are for 1-1/2.

Compartment for wavebox.

From the inside.

99% of the joints are either rabbet or dado joints.

And the outside.

And the overflow weir.

don't go ninjin' nobody that don't need ninjin'!

Current Tank Info: 220g custom plywood. SPS heavy with Sequence Hammerhead return with 4-Way OM. Tunze 6100, 6200 and Wavebox. 5000btu DIY Chiller. Lighting is 10K mh 250W / VHO Actinic Skimer - H&S A200-2x1260
AcroSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2008, 07:04 PM   #2
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

Thanks to a few that inspired me.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1026436

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=716410

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=686757

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=674932

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1183020

Current Tank Info: 220g custom plywood. SPS heavy with Sequence Hammerhead return with 4-Way OM. Tunze 6100, 6200 and Wavebox. 5000btu DIY Chiller. Lighting is 10K mh 250W / VHO Actinic Skimer - H&S A200-2x1260
Unread 07/29/2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Conesus_Kid
Premium Member

Very nice work!

These guys have a lot of experience with plywood tanks and would love to see you post there as well!

Can't wait to see more!

Friends don't give friends Kenya tree...
Conesus_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2008, 07:10 PM   #4
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

Yes, I am familiar with the Fingerlakes site. I should have mentioned it.

Good stuff there.

Unread 07/29/2008, 08:19 PM   #5
kcress
Registered Member

Nice indeed. You are really stretching the flexibility of your medium with the channeling , etc.

Kind of jarring to see this nice furniture that someone is planning to fill with water down the road.

kcress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2008, 08:28 PM   #6
Lucky Strike
Registered Member

Fudge's tank was really inspriational.. your wood work is top notch!

*Comfortably recilnes chair.. sips cold beer awaiting updates*

Lucky Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2008, 08:37 PM   #7
tundra1000
Registered Member

Looks very well thought out and well constructed-

Tagging-

Current Tank Info: 54 Corner
tundra1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2008, 09:37 PM   #8
EBOLII
Registered Member

Is that area on the top left going to be a open/closed void? This is exciting!
I will indeed be watching

What epoxy technique will you use with the bulkheads?

Unread 07/30/2008, 03:20 AM   #9
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

I am not sure what area you are referring to.
If you mean this, yes it will remain open. The water from the overflow weir will travel through here to get to the pipes.

As far as technique, I am also planning on coating the overflow with fiberglass and epoxy. I will wrap the glass down through the hole.

Unread 07/30/2008, 04:22 AM   #10
EBOLII
Registered Member

other side.....

Unread 07/30/2008, 06:56 AM   #11
MinibowMatt
Registered Member

awesome! Very very well thought out!
how much resin do you figure this will take to complete?

"Sure dont know what I'm going for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure!"
MinibowMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2008, 08:32 AM   #12
GIJOE007
Registered Member

very nice work, excellent planning and execution!! Tagging along for progress

Unread 07/30/2008, 10:33 AM   #13
walmart
Registered Member

I will be taggin along for this, the build is looking good so far.

walmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2008, 11:03 AM   #14
chudsosoft
Registered Member

Gorgeous already. Can't wait to see it finished.

chudsosoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2008, 06:23 PM   #15
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

Quote:
Originally posted by EBOLII
other side.....
Ah, yes.

That is a void area. Only really there because I wanted to continue the external overflow to the edge of the tank so it also serves as a brace which will keep the back wall straight.

Most likely, it will be a place I collect salt creep and dust in. :

The overflow will only be about 1/4" from the wall in the house, so this will also catch any fish that might happen to try carpet surfing.

Last edited by AcroSteve; 07/30/2008 at 06:38 PM.
Unread 07/30/2008, 06:35 PM   #16
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

Thanks for the complements.

Just by the seat of my pants, I figure I will need to buy 2gal of epoxy resin which will net about 3 gal of mix. I already have at least a half gallon of West system left from various other projects. I do always try to keep it on hand.

I have some additives for adhesion and fairing. After the wood basic construction is done and I have all the joints filleted with epoxy, I might switch systems and use MAS epoxy.

The literature for the MAS totes one advantage of no amine blush to contend with. I like that.

The cost is nearly the same. The West is a little more.. $108/gal vs the MAS @ 84/gal. before shipping.

I plan on doing some vacuum bagging too. Probably some black fiberglass too.

Last edited by AcroSteve; 07/30/2008 at 07:02 PM.
Unread 07/30/2008, 07:20 PM   #17
radone
Registered Member

Looking pretty sweet Steve, just a note might as well put blocks in the overflow to hold the eggrate as I can see someone headed to the basement.

Why use the birch ply, why not 3/4 BC exterior grade?

Current Tank Info: Pennisula Style 210G mixed reef, Primary lighting 250w MH 10k's, 160w VHO actinic supplement, custom 75G sump,
radone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2008, 07:22 PM   #18
radone
Registered Member

Why such a steep overflow? Won't the velocity cause more noise?

Current Tank Info: Pennisula Style 210G mixed reef, Primary lighting 250w MH 10k's, 160w VHO actinic supplement, custom 75G sump,
radone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2008, 07:46 PM   #19
Doug864
Registered Member

This is the first thread I have read on plywood tanks and I was wondering what are all the advantages over building one out of all glass. Seams like a lot of work compared to glass.
Regards,
Doug

Doug864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2008, 08:32 PM   #20
EBOLII
Registered Member

"vacuum bagging and some black fiberglass?" again I am curious do tell of this ideology please. This is a great project are there links to your other stuff?

Unread 07/30/2008, 10:52 PM   #21
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

excellent craftsmanship so far! cant wait to watch the process for how you seal the tank with epoxy and everything else.

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
ReefEnabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2008, 03:36 AM   #22
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

Quote:
Originally posted by radone
Why such a steep overflow? Won't the velocity cause more noise?
I don't think it is that steep, but I also did not want to build it with less slope and then find out somewhere down the road it will not handle the flow I might want to put through it.

As far as noise, I am trying to keep it to a minimum, and the water level in the overflow box will be at least as high as where the water enters it from the through.

I went with birch because it has many more plys than regular b/c plywood. And the surface finish alone would have been enough reason not to use the b/c. I want something smooth.

Unread 07/31/2008, 03:38 AM   #23
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

It is a lot of work compared to glass, but it will be cheaper - by a long shot, and it will be totally custom.

I imagine a tank of this design out of glass would be over 6k

You can check out my photobucket page for pics of some of the other stuff I have made. Click on the red house.

Unread 07/31/2008, 05:08 AM   #24
SoFloReefer
Registered Member

I am building one out of wood and epoxy now (frag tank). You can check it out in Coral Prop forum under 4' x 4' tank. Anyways if you are using metal halides you should take into account what UV radiation will do to the epoxy. Epoxy is UV sensitive and will break down with time. This could be an issue in several years time or less. Pigment helps as it lessens light penetration into the layers. I am still trying to figure out how to protect my tank. You might want to look into using graphite powder as a filler if you are going to dye the epoxy black. This adds some UV protection and abrasion resistance. Anyways I think you will probably need in the range of 4-5 gallons for a thick coat. I was originally going to use MAS but many of the new low viscosity slow curing epoxies dont have Amine blush. The stuff Im using cost 50 something for 1.5 gallons and didnt blush. I still sanded each layer though for better adhesion between the layers.

Unread 07/31/2008, 09:00 AM   #25
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

Thanks.

I am aware of the UV issue and I was planning on using some epoxy paint from AquaticEcosystems.\\I found a vendor online that sells black fiberglass, so I wasn't planning on tinting or dying anything. I was thinking using the black in case there where any chips in the paint down the road. They would blend in better.