Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/06/2006, 10:06 PM   #1
Fliger
Registered Member

Check out these rad anemones!!!!

I just picked these two up from coralseaonline. The owner assured me he's had them for a while and they are hardy. I've never seen them before.

He said the color is even better in person, they need very slow acclimation, and actually like good light. I just hope my clownfish don't take to them.

Any advice?

When life hands you lemons, add vodka!

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Fliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2006, 10:26 PM   #2
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

I am not very familiar with temperate and colder anemones, but the first appears to be a strawberry anemone Actinia fragacea while the second appears to be a dyed version of Actinia equina. It is interesting that on the web site they call the one a "beadlike anemone" when the common name is often a "beadlet anemone". They are very common on all coasts of Britain, and Western Europe south to the Mediterranen. They are not tropical anemones, are not from the Pacific, and are not native hosts of clownfish.

I MAY BE WRONG. And I hope I am because I think the guy is selling dyed anemones for hundreds of dollars. Why else would someone claim to have an "exclusive" access to an anemone unless he knew no one else could get it (because they are created, not collected). A little strange that no one else in the world has discovered several different species of flourescent blue/purple anemones and yet one site has them all. Those dyed anemones don't look all that healthy either - note how ALL of them have distended mouths.

Again - I AM NOT AN EXPERT of temperate anemones and I really really hope I am wrong.

Unread 11/06/2006, 10:29 PM   #3
Jakaru
Premium Member

Don't know... gut tells me there is something wrong there.

Ehiem 2217, powerhead, 10lbs lr, skimmer coming

Current Tank Info: 60 gal FOWLR. 7 turbo snails, 2 siscor tail goby's,
Jakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2006, 10:31 PM   #4
Jakaru
Premium Member

I can't find a single thing about them online either... no reviews no nothing. seems to be new...

Unread 11/06/2006, 10:33 PM   #5
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Continuing on this thread...

Here is a photo of a strandard green beadlet anemone. Note the whitish "beads" at the fringe of the oral disk. It is these "beads" that give the beadlet anemone its name.

Note that the "blueberry" anemone has the same beads

Unread 11/06/2006, 10:33 PM   #6
Fliger
Registered Member

Well of course I do hope you're wrong just as much as you do. I do trust coralseaonline, so I guess we'll see. The reason I jumped is because of a few Japanese anemones I've seen (Naka has one) and I'm hoping it falls more in that category. But I could be wrong. I'll trust him and keep ya posted. He seems like a very upstanding guy who's been in the industry a very long time and I doubt he'd risk his rep on a few of these.

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Unread 11/06/2006, 10:35 PM   #7
Jakaru
Premium Member

Hey fliger have you ordered from there before? I havn't seen that site and it does look great. If it isn't dyed and does well I can't wait till they split.

Unread 11/06/2006, 10:41 PM   #8
Jakaru
Premium Member

It seems the sites only been up since august. All the info seems to be the same as the website which is a very good sign.

Last edited by Jakaru; 11/06/2006 at 10:55 PM.
Unread 11/06/2006, 10:41 PM   #9
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Does anyone else think this looks like the "blueberry" anemone above?

Unread 11/06/2006, 10:42 PM   #10
Fliger
Registered Member

Yes I have, they are connected in the "rare" coral category. Pretty well known in the high dollar micro/lord category. LOL on the split, wouldn't that be nice. I have been fooled in the hobby before (18 years now, lol) but I'm hoping this isn't one of those situations. But the owner was very kind in a past transaction so I do trust him. Who knows, maybe we were both fooled - only time will tell!!!

Unread 11/06/2006, 10:47 PM   #11
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jakaru
If it isn't dyed and does well I can't wait till they split.
I agree I hope the blue ones are real and I am just ignorant. The red one appears to be a real and standard color varient of Actinia fragacea. Do a Google image search and you will see lots of photos that look like this:

These don't look exactly the same as your anemone - though we all know that anemones can look very different from day to day based on environmental factors. I really hope I am completely wrong and they have discovered a rare cave of blue anemones in Fiji somewhere

Now find me some blue clownfish and you'll REALLY make my day!!

Unread 11/06/2006, 10:50 PM   #12
Jakaru
Premium Member

yeah but that red one has all those bumps... just insane looking. I'm really rooting for these guys and they look awsome. If I ever get a decent paying job you bet I'll be on the look out for things like these.

Unread 11/06/2006, 10:55 PM   #13
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Oh by the way... I am assuming these are coming overnight mail so we'll all know soon enough We expect pics in the next 24 hours

Unread 11/06/2006, 10:59 PM   #14
Fliger
Registered Member

Woah! I'd pay two bills for that one too!

Seriously, I guess I'll be the guinea pig. But I trust the guy so I jumped. I'll LYK how things turn out. Unfortunately I am not having them shipped til Thu for Fri delivery.

Unread 11/06/2006, 11:09 PM   #15
Reef4Fun
Registered Member

here is a site on ebay which i think is his also, he has a really nice website at coralseaonline.com

*** Ebay links to auctions are not allowed on Reef Central. Thanks ****

Current Tank Info: Reef has sps, lps, softies, maroon clown, 3 anemones, 2 mated damsels, purple tang, yellow tang, shrimps,

Last edited by traveller7; 11/07/2006 at 06:02 PM.
Reef4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2006, 11:15 PM   #16
Fliger
Registered Member

Reef4Fun, I'm really glad you edited that.

Unread 11/06/2006, 11:23 PM   #17
sonofgaladriel
Shiny!

Would these acclimate to our warmer reef tanks? I'm doubting that if these are indeed cold water nems, that they'll tolerate even a day at 80 degrees!

Unread 11/06/2006, 11:26 PM   #18
RicordiaFever
Registered Member.

Hey everyone,

Please lets clear one thing up. I'm not hear in this thread to sell anything to anyone. Orders will not be accepted at all or even pm. I just want to respond to a few comments.

Bonsainut-
First of all nothing you said i find rude, your criticism is accepted and cool. But please let me say that i would not waste my time or even begin to know how to dye an anemone. I have been in this hobby for many years and i agree with you i have never seen a blue anemone besides a gigantic Carpet, but new discovers are being discovered everyday. Check MSN and search new fish discoveries, last month there were over 150 new identified living life forms in the ocean.

As far as BEADLET and beadlike i did't want to quote another name so i labled it my own.

Your knowledge is very well accepted because alot of what you said is true, and it seems you know alot about these.

Yes that picture you posted looks just like them.

There are many different colors i just haven't posted them yet. There is a cool dark green also.

ALso those other anem. on my home page came from the same water area as the blueberry, which we all know is a flower type anem. which is carrib.

PLease these are only my comments and nothing intent to be negative.

And yes the correct name is Aquina (not positive spelling) Actinia and can be found on GO0GLE GURANTEED.

Also the cost is caue the rarity and fuel cost to get these were they are located on the water.

David i promise and guarantee your happy.

Feedback can be found in the right places.

**** Ebay information deleted ****

Last edited by traveller7; 11/07/2006 at 06:04 PM.
RicordiaFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2006, 11:28 PM   #19
Evyllchyld
Trying again

I can't believe how good these look. PLEASE post pics when you get them on friday :-) I'll be waiting lol.

Unread 11/06/2006, 11:28 PM   #20
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Check this out... a natural color morph of Actinia equina:

Questions:

(1) If they are from the Pacific why aren't they coming in through LAX?

(2) If they are 7 - 8 inches when fully open, why are they only 2" in every photo?

(3) Why does every photo have a gaping mouth if they are very very hardy?

(4) What is the sponge-like yellow holding thing and why don't any photos show the anemone just by itself?

(5) Let me get this straight - they are very very hardy and yet acclimation is very important so that they need to be acclimated for some unknown number of hours (exact process undescribed) and there is no guarantee...

I think I would be more willing to believe him if he hadn't come out with flourescent purple flower anemones at exactly the same time...

EDIT - I think it is very cool that he has come online to discuss our questions. I am more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he is telling 100% truth. Therefore I am very excited about this new anemone. I hope that he is willing to share more information about its care - and that if it is very rare we do not collect it into oblivion

P.S. Where's that blue clownfish I asked for a few posts ago? Get your diver to find some of THOSE

Unread 11/06/2006, 11:50 PM   #21
RicordiaFever
Registered Member.

1. Not all things in this world come through LAX. Just becaue that is the closet for landing point dosen't have to be where it comes through. Personal business importing and transhipping should never have to be revealed or explained just enjoy the coral and don't concentrate on all the other little stuff.
2.The size is because those were taken immed. upon arrival in ym store in Florida. I should have given them more time.
3. During transit all anem. will stress, these are not the best of pictures. All this anem. have been in captivity in holding pins for at least 5 months and them shipped. that way they have adapted to the aquarium envir. before entering the world of selling them.
4. The sponge was to shoe the TRUE color of the blue. And we noticed that they love to attach to that and hang out at the top, and it's good for transit cause it keeps them happy.
5. Through experience dealing with reatail customers i always like to be very careful when advising my customers when acclimating, that way the extra time taken when acclimating expensive investments gives your chance of your coral survival rate a much better chance wheter they are KING KONG or not.

Unread 11/06/2006, 11:59 PM   #22
Atticus
Registered Member

I have a problem with this line from the eBay ad...

As my supplier and i have been experimenting with this anemone for more than 5 months before offering them for sale.

Who experiments with an anemone for 5 months before selling it? If this is a new discovery it should have been logged the day it was collected, I also do not believe in mass collection of unidentified items, but that is your choice.

Current Tank Info: As many as the wife will allow....
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2006, 12:06 AM   #23
RicordiaFever
Registered Member.

The anemone is not a new discovery the color is. Just settle down a bit and enjoy the anemone instead of trying to prove something that no one will win at, we can sit hear all day and continue to try to be rude and say things and repeat quotes but unless any one else has a question that pertains to the thread and not all the little things.

Unread 11/07/2006, 12:07 AM   #24
Fliger
Registered Member

The one thing I know is that I trust Rob when he says he's had them for 5 months. I know how long he sat on his micromussas before he started selling them (over a year). On my last order, he threw in a frag that could probably fetch $300-$400 on its own. So no matter where it came from, if they are healthy I'm happy with what I paid. Even if it only cost him thirteen bucks.

I promise I will post pix over the weekend of them.

Last edited by traveller7; 11/07/2006 at 06:05 PM.
Unread 11/07/2006, 12:12 AM   #25
RicordiaFever
Registered Member.

David thank you very much, i appreciate that and you will be happy, guarantee for sure.

And trust me when i tell you this they cost alot more than 13 bucks to land them here.