Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > ReefRockerLive
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

67g Rimless build

Posted 04/17/2011 at 10:18 PM by ReefRockerLive

So after much thought I have settled with a 36" x 24" x 18" 3-sided Starfire Rimless with an external coast to coast overflow w/ BeanAnimal overflows.

For this build I will be using some equipment from my old 75g which has been down for almost 2 years now.

If there is a theme around this whole project, it would be "Silence". I've owned two tanks throughout my Reefing hobby, a 55g and 75g and floods have been all too common. With this new build, I hope to make that a thing of the past. I plan to only have the quietest equipment my money will allow. The BeanAnimal overflow is suppose to be super silent, so that is how I will design the overflow.

My drains will be 1" and two returns, 3/4". I will use spa-flex for the return and hard-pipe for the drain.

Here's what I have so far in terms of equipment:

Maxspect G2-170w
Fauna Marin UltraSkim 2
Tunze 6105
Profilux 3 EX
GHL Dosing Pumps

I am going to build my stand soon and design it with a simplistic yet modern look, Elos style. Within the stand, I will have it sectioned off. The right side will hold the sump and left will have all the equipment such as LED ballasts and powerstrips. Above the sump I plan on building a shelf that will hold the Profilux and dosing pumps. The controller will be on the Right and dosing pumps will be on the left. Under the dosing pumps, I will have 1g space-saving containers which will hold my Ca, Alk, and Mg.

In my last tank, I've had salt creep on equipment and luckily it wasn't enough to damage any equipment. I want to keep it as clean looking as possible.

I've decided to not hang my fixture from the wall and have built a light rail using 80/20 products I found off of Ebay.

For anyone looking to build an affordable light rail under $100, here are the products I purchased:

T-Slot Aluminum Frame (1501-LS)
[B]Four[/B] 80/20 T-Slot Endcaps w/push-in plug (2030)
[B]Two[/B]T Slot Aluminum Corner Connector (3364)

For flow, my plan is to have an Ehiem 1262 return and when I financially recover from all these expenses, buy a second Tunze 6105.

According to Miracles, the build time is 6 weeks and I am already 3 weeks in. I am expecting the arrival date to fall within the second week of May! I should also mention that I've also placed an order for a 24" x 16" x 16" sump, also being built by Miracles.

Here's a sketch of what I am going to have:

[IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/ReefRockerLive/TopSumpView.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/ReefRockerLive/FrontSumpView.jpg[/IMG]

When I have the tank running which should be by the 3rd or 4th week of May, I plan on using Seaflor Aragonite Sand. In order to speed up the cycling time, I plan on buying this sand soon and having a friend add his tank water to it to seed it.

BTW, this tank will be Acropora dominant.

More to come in a few days...
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 15137 Comments 1 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. New Comment
    Hi Reefrockerlive, Can I have your LX7206 spectrum configuration file? Thanks