Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > ACBlinky
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Nasty setback.

Posted 01/14/2013 at 09:53 PM by ACBlinky

Just as soon as the new fish went into the display, they've had to come right back out. Somehow, despite time in the QT with copper, they've managed to contract ich. The yellow tang showed spots first, then the kole and flame broke out the next day.

Spent half a day tearing 2/3 of the reef apart -- good fun, tearing apart nearly a hundred pounds of rock that has been epoxied together -- because despite removing nearly all the water, the darn fish managed to wedge themselves into crevices I simply couldn't extract them from. Try catching a 3/4" clown goby in a 150g tank; he ended up wedged into a lovely porous 10lb rock, getting him out took serious patience, creativity, and toolmaking skills.

Anyway ALL the fish, old and new, are in quarantine. It's a new tank, because the old QT sprung a leak a while back, which was another FUN journey. This hobby is kicking my behind. I feel a bit like one of those punching clowns -- it hits me hard, but so far I keep bouncing back up.

I've decided that if I want to add ANY more fish or corals, I'm doing it now. These damn fish will stay in quarantine, in copper, for a full twelve weeks after I see the last spot drop off the last fish. Nothing else, not a single drop of water, will EVER enter the display after that unless it has been super-duper quarantined, scrubbed, sterilized, dried out, powdered, reconstituted, given CPR and a clean bill of health by seventeen independent doctors.

I strongly dislike dealing with this damn parasite, it's ruining my 'stress-relieving' hobby :S

Oh, and have I mentioned that today's my birthday? Whee!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 39635 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. New Comment
    Happy Birthday.... and I am an EMT can I help?
  2. New Comment
    ACblinky it sounds like your problem of ich didnt come from your qt it sounds to me like your fish got stressed from the move from the qt to the dt. A little known fact is ich is caused by stress... a big temp diff, a water quality diff, being chased around while trying to net fish... all of these can cause it... I had a tomato clown as one of my first fish in my tank... and when I moved him form qt to dt he developed spots within a few hours... I knew that after 5 weeks of qt he could not have ich... so I let it ride and within a week he was all cleared up. I have had my tank up and running for over a year now... that same fish commited carpet suicide once when I was away for the day.. but the rest of my fish are 100% healthy and prosperous.