Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > insane
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

After bringing home my sisters 180 reef

Posted 12/01/2009 at 03:04 PM by insane

I have had this here for a few weeks now with the 400lbs of live rock in two 100g rubbermade stock tanks I tied together with one having an overflow skimmer I made from PVC parts that drains into the other. There are some sofities and a few SPS in there as well. I have an old 2x400w MH + 1x250w MH & 2x96w PC Hamilton fixture over the stock tanks with an Octo Extreme 250 to remove the gunk.

Finished up the basement support beam and posts today even though the tank has been full of SW for about a week. Been battling an old sand bed that used to weigh about 500lbs. The oolite that had been used had dissolved and turned to the consistency of baby powder. Impossible to clean to I screened all of the sandbed and removed a couple hundred pounds of the silt and kept anything that didn't fit through a screen with 1/16" holes in it. It looks good now but it will have to be seeded since I used a hose outside to clean the sand.

Today I set up the dump bucket ATS and that will take some getting used to. It dumps about 2 gallons into the DT every 35 seconds. So, big splash, thunk, big splash, thunk, big splash, thunk. You get the idea. A magdrive 3 runs it so it turns over 279 GPH after calculating head loss. So after doing the math it is 4.65 gallons per minute. It has two 65w 6500k PC and a fan in it that will be on a reverse cycle from the DT. The pump runs 24/7.

Very few people anywhere have one of these units. My sis paid over $1,000.00 for it about 10 years ago. I always wanted it and now it is mine! It creates about a 3/4" tall wave that resonates throughout the entire tank.

Now I just have to get off my butt and take the snake out of the 55g and put him in the 30g so I can baffle the 55g for the sump. My sis used the 30g as the sump but the skimmer used all of the room in it. I still have to run some romex for the two dedicated circuits to power everything. I have a 3x400w MH + 2x80w T5 + LED Belize Sun fixture my sis just bought a few months before she decided to sell the entire setup to me. I offered her more than what people are getting for a complete setup that needed some TLC but the bonus is that I only have to pay her $222.00 a month until I pay it off. She is happy, I am happy, the electric company here will soon be happy.

Also using a CPR CS150 overflow that handles 1,600 gph and a Rio HF32 for the return which does 1,920 gph @ 1 ft head. 800w titanium Finnex heater & controller. Aquamedic kalk stirrer with auto top off. I am rebuilding the over the top 7 way return manifold with 6 Hydor Flo. Additional flow provided by a Rio 2500 with circle flow Loc-line and possibly a Magdrive 9.5 that I have on the stock tanks at the moment.

Will be getting a Digital Aquatics Aqua Controller APEX for Christmas which will be excellent!

In time will do the stock tanks in the basement. One as a fuge and the other as a sump. Just have to pick the pump.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9398 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments