Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > maysorum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Hmmm, water chemistry and salt mixes

Posted 12/16/2009 at 11:20 AM by maysorum

I've been having a compelling conversation with Randy about my high Magnesium and low Alkalinity issues. Check out the thread for background details: [URL="http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1758257"]Water parameters and dosing[/URL].

In short, I'm using the old bag of salt to make 5 gallons of water. I'll test the parameters and report back. I'm hoping the the salt shows that it is deficient in Magnesium and high in Alkalinity. If so, I'll use this salt to help stabilize my parameters instead of dosing BRS 2-part Alkalinity.

On another note, I mixed the BRS 2-part up yesterday per the instructions and it was really easy!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 23098 Comments 3 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. New Comment
    OK, just gone testing the "old" batch of salt and the results really surprised me.

I mixed the remaining bag of salt vigorously for a few minutes. I separately poured each cup into the RO/DI water with two Koralia powerheads running. It took 3 cups of Tunze salt to make 5 gallons of saltwater at 35pt/1.0265. The water was mixed for approximately 4.5 hours before testing.

I tested Alkalinity, Magnesium and Calcium using Elos test kits that are not expired. Both Alkalinity and Calcium were tested twice and Magnesium only once because it's taking way too much reagent. The results are as follows:

Alkalinity - 6 KH (both tests)
    Calcium - 700 (1st test) / 650 (2nd test)
    Magnesium - 2400 (took 56 drops of solution A and 8 drops of solution D)

These numbers are in line with the tank parameters when I initially discovered the problems (lethargic snails). Also these results were verified by my local LFS (Barrier Reef) as they tested both my tank water and a batch of freshly made saltwater. I believe Barrier Reef used Elos test kits also.

Hmmm, this is so unsettling!
  2. New Comment
    Wow, I'm really feeling not-so-good about Tunze salt and their customer service. I just found out that they don't even use batch numbers. I'm considering switching to another brand—ugh! Anyone have any suggestions?
  3. New Comment
    Well, I guess I spoke too soon! Tunze is looking into the issue and giving me a free box of salt! Thank you Roger!!