Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Mmckibben
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Help now!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 03/26/2010 at 12:12 AM by Mmckibben

I need help now! I just set up a new refugium for my year old tank, and things have gone realy bad! First I had an algae bloom, no suprise there, then all of a sudden things go south. All my copepods and other small creatures disapear, some of my acropora bleached, my other corals aren't looking good, and my pepermint shrimp died. The only things not affected are the bristle worms, hermit crabs, and my fighting conch. My water conditions are perfect. I also changed the carbon to a fresh new bag. The only thing I could think that could cause this was the pvc cement I used on my pipes, but according to a book and a bunch of other people the brand I used was reef safe. Any thoughts? I don't care how crazy, or stupid it might be. I NEED HELP, AND I NEED IT NOW.

Thank you for the help, Mike.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 32406 Comments 9 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 9

Comments

1. New Comment
    Post a comment please.
  2. New Comment
    just saw this...how are things now? did you get it straightened out?
  3. New Comment
    no, but at least things haven't gotten worse.
  4. New Comment
    did you figure out if it was due to the pvc cement? or is it still a mystery?
  5. New Comment
    It's not the pvc cement, my local aquarium store and doctors foster and smith confirmed that.
  6. New Comment
    I just bought some more algae, and a stronger pump for the refugium. It's to early to tell now, but so far things are improving. My button corals have opened up a little for the first time since the problem began. My whisker coral is almost back to it's normal size. Those are the only two corals to show signs of improvement so far. Based on the the way things are going my tank should be back to normal in a week or so. Thanks superkat for you reply, your the only person who has ever responded to one of my blogs.
  7. New Comment
    that's good news! Well, i keep a blog of my own...not reef related...and i saw "help!" in recent posts and came to see! just how i am. Glad to see you are on the upswing with the tank!
  8. New Comment
    thanks for responing to a cry for help
  9. New Comment
    you're welcome. stop by my blog anytime...some stuff in there that might make you smile, or laugh, or think.....