Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Stolireef
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

My greatest pet peeve in the hobby

Posted 03/13/2013 at 05:14 PM by Stolireef

This is a really good thread in the general reef discussion forum.

I posted there that the wires associated with all of the equipment we use drive me crazy (I also had a bit of fun with poetry). With that in mind, I decided to take an inventory of the number of wires under my tank and what they are attached to. Keep in mind that I'm running a 110 rimless with a sump and separate fuge. I run a calcium reactor, skimmer and a comination MH/T5 fixture. So, starting from the top...

Hamilton Fixture: This is the biggest of the wire hogs: Five cables from the fixture including one each for the MH's, One for the T5's, one for the fan, and one for the useless moonlights. The MH cables run to two separate magnetic ballasts each of which has their own power cable running to the my first of three Apex EB8's. Total wires: 7

Apex: Wire from Display Unit to Head unit. Wire from head unit to EB8(1). Wire from EB8(1) to EB8(2). Wire from EB8(2) to EB8(3). Power cables from each EB8 to wall outlets. Probe wires for PH, PH2, and Temp. Total wires: 10.

Powerheads 3xTunze 6095 and one MP40WES. One power cable each for the Tunzes and one cable from MP40 to controller and then from controller to EB8. Total wires: 5

CA Reactor: One cable for feed pump, one cable for circulation pump, one cable for CO2 controller. Total wires 3.

Sump Wires: Skimmer, return pump, pump from sump to fuge, sump recirculation pump. Total wires: 4

So, I have a grand total of 29 cables. If you assume that the average cable length is about six feet, I have at least 174 feet of wire in or around my tank. It's probably quite a bit more since some cables are really long.

That's just too much wire.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 29244 Comments 3 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. New Comment
    Stolireef - I have controlled my wiring mess with velcro wiring wraps. You can purchase them in different colors and designate a color for a function - red is for pumps - yellow is for powerheads - green is for filtration - or however you want to do this - and they can wrap any kind of cord with any kind of length.

Hope this helps

Rick
    Posted 03/22/2013 at 02:49 PM by TriValleyReefer TriValleyReefer is offline
  2. New Comment
    I agree completely, I have a total of 23 plugs for my 100 gallon. It drives me nuts, then I lose cables and unplug the wrong one. 'No more nails' and extension units was the only solution, and print out stick labels. It's saves you hours, if you can only identify a plug by pulling the appliance.

It is:
    5 Koralia
    Skimmer
    Fluidised media x3
    Ozone
    LEDs 1
    T5s 1
    UV
    3 Eheims pros x3
    Redox monitor x1
    Auto top up x1
    1 light timer ( does not really count, but still another plug)
    Heater x 1
    2 aquarium surge protectors x2
  3. New Comment
    Thanks for the comments, suggestions and most importantly, for reading my blog. The wires are an utter PIA.

So, when are we getting wireless electricity??