Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Sk8r
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

1. New Comment

About Coralline...

very, very, very hard to remove once it's been there a while.
  2. New Comment

Building a loose rock reef

Very good suggestions, Sk8r. I'll run with that.
  3. New Comment
  4. New Comment

About skimmers: y/n/maybe? Not your swimming pool skimmer...

You absolutely need a skimmer but I never saw a skimmer that can remove nitrates in a few days. I've always understood that skimmers remove the organics that would eventually become nitrates. So this would mean that it will take a while to see a difference. A skimmer effects the nitrogen cycle which will eventually turn into nitrates. Again, I love skimmers and would never run a reef tank without one but dont expect to see changes in a few days.
  5. New Comment

The Users' Guide to Green Hair Algae

I know it's an old thread, but never an old topic. Unfortunately, I'm finally on the winning side of a massive GHA battle. After 25% water changes weekly for three weeks, my parameters are essentially perfect. So, with the remaining hair algae I cannot seem to kill off my rocks, I've stuck 90 percent of them in ever corner of my fuge, and blacked out my fuge. I'm not comfortable blacking out my display, especially with my anemone. Soo, the main tank is somewhat bare, but we will see if this nails it. I purchased Euphotica lights and the GHA went nuts in 3 days!!
  6. New Comment

Slime coats---important for your fishes' health.

One small correction, ich is not an animal, it is a protozoa. Animals are more closely related to fungi and plants than protozoa.
  7. New Comment

Slime coats---important for your fishes' health.

This is why water balance is so overwhelmingly important: your water going acid or too alkaline, your salinity going off, getting picked at or picked-on, all these various things may affect the fish's most comprehensive defense against sores, parasites, infections, and casual scrapes. It's like a castle with a hole in the wall: all the troubles available will find that chink in the protection. Let several million years of engineering work FOR you as an aquarium-keeper, and preserve those natural defenses.
  8. New Comment

Cannister or sump/skimmer?

Thanks, find it helpful.
  9. New Comment
  10. New Comment

The Users' Guide to Green Hair Algae

I've started feeding LIVE homemade Phyto and added an LED light over the refuge to grow the macro.. My hair algae is ALL gone!!! I even took out the skimmer to go more natural.. I'm keeping. The fish to only a few and gunna concentrate on corals.
  11. New Comment

pest species, aiptasia, etc: some have problems; some don't: why?

Makes sense to me. Good post esp. for nebies.
  12. New Comment

About Coralline...

Why do you recommend not letting it growing on the glass? Does it damage the glass, or is it just harder to get off after it's established?
  13. New Comment

How are a qt and a hospital tank different---or are they?

I have a query, how does fish wastes (read NH3) gets converted to lesser toxic NO2 and NO3 in uncycled qt?
  14. New Comment

Informational: My fish are fighting! ........Help!

Nice write up though, I hope liveaquaria compatibility chart will come handy.
  15. New Comment

Informational: My fish are fighting! ........Help!

Fishes of freshwater can also be quite territorial, lake malawi mbuna species are highly territorial and aggressive, demasoni is just like damsel, even if the starting number is 15-20, no matter how much hiding spots you have, it will come to 1 in a short time span. African cichlids are more territorial than central american. But even then, I have seen two rotkeil severums fighting in my tank even when lights got off.
  16. New Comment
  17. New Comment

178 hours with no power: tank saved

I was running all Fresh water at the time.... I lost everything but my planted display and shrimp tank I kept alive with the use of a generator. My heater was screaming the hole time as the house never got about 55f. Just set up a reef tank this weekend. First thing I thought of was what about a power outage? Glad to see another Spokane person on the forum.
  18. New Comment

About Coralline...

I have some green spots on the walls and some purple on some rocks that I bought, but it just doesn't seem to be growing. I have high cal and alk but mag is around 1350. Temp stays around 76-79. Tank has been going since June. Years ago in the same tank it was covered with purple but I used city water with r.o and now I am on well water. I'm wondering if something in the well water is causing the coralline not to grow. The fish and nems are doing good.
  19. New Comment

wow is a lightly spoken word.. holy sh@#t.. I'm so glad you made it through sorry for your losses of fish. but could of been a lot worse. i want to thank you for this post. don't really know what i would do.. and now i have some what of a clue.
  20. New Comment

"thank God for all the times He has pulled us through."
    Very true, thanks for taking the time to post this write up, I learned a lot and others will too.