Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > ACBlinky
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Uncategorized Entries with no category
Unread

Tank blew a seal

Posted 04/07/2013 at 08:48 PM by ACBlinky

The title says it all. I was sitting on the sofa with my son; he was watching a cartoon, I was dozing, and the sound of gushing water brought me fully awake. The bottom front seal of the tank blew, and water was spurting and pouring out at an unbelievable rate.

My husband was home, doing some work at his computer. I yelled for help, and he came running. We threw hoses in the tank to drain the water as quickly as possible into the sink and a large bin, and once we had the water out...
Premium Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 58234 Comments 3 Go to first new comment ACBlinky is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Tore it down, rebuilt the rockscape

Posted 03/10/2013 at 02:23 PM by ACBlinky

There are no fish in the tank ATM, so I decided to fix the issues I've been seeing with flow and light penetration. The large tower on the left side of the tank was too tight, and in quite a few spots some of the rocks were creating too much shade, blocking light to everything below.

We went to Home Depot and bought two 48" fiberglass driveway markers, a 1/2" masonry drill bit, a chisel set, a junior hacksaw, some epoxy putty and gel crazy glue.

Came home...
Premium Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 26632 Comments 0 Go to first new comment ACBlinky is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Nasty setback.

Posted 01/14/2013 at 09:53 PM by ACBlinky

Just as soon as the new fish went into the display, they've had to come right back out. Somehow, despite time in the QT with copper, they've managed to contract ich. The yellow tang showed spots first, then the kole and flame broke out the next day.

Spent half a day tearing 2/3 of the reef apart -- good fun, tearing apart nearly a hundred pounds of rock that has been epoxied together -- because despite removing nearly all the water, the darn fish managed to wedge themselves into...
Premium Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 39630 Comments 2 Go to first new comment ACBlinky is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Pictures!

Posted 01/01/2013 at 09:08 AM by ACBlinky

Happy New Year! Some pictures from this morning...

FTS:

Dendros and urchin

Frogspawn, xenia, Nemo and Marlin
Premium Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 36504 Comments 1 Go to first new comment ACBlinky is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Lost a fish in QT

Posted 12/29/2012 at 10:29 PM by ACBlinky

Woke up this morning to discover that the tiny damsel, which I researched and discovered to be Pomacentrus bankanensis, was dead on the bottom of the QT. Poor little guy, he was less than an inch long, just a baby.

I did a 50% water change yesterday, and the fish seemed to appreciate it, but maybe the stress was too much for the little damsel. The others are doing very well.

The kole has been hiding in a PVC tube, but this morning she decided that she'd come out in...
Premium Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 22870 Comments 0 Go to first new comment ACBlinky is offline Edit Tags