Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Unread

New fish in QT

Posted 12/26/2012 at 11:36 PM by ACBlinky

I haven't updated in a while...
We took the two clowns, yellow goby and hawkfish out of the QT (there seemed no reason to keep them there, they were never ill) and added them to the reef.

Then today we braved the insane boxing day crowds and went to the closest 'LFS' an hour away for their annual sale. We bought three buckets of Reef Crystals -- I've been using IO until now, but with all the hard corals in the tank I figured for $10 more a bucket it's worth it for the extra...
Premium Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10174 Comments 0 Go to first new comment ACBlinky is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Update

Posted 12/06/2012 at 07:12 PM by ACBlinky

Well unfortunately the kole tang died a couple days ago in QT, not entirely sure why. The other four fish seem well, though the longnosed hawk won't take anything but frozen food.

The main tank has so many pods, it's just incredible. Tiny pinhead sized isopods on the glass near the sand, a few large amphipods in the rocks, and about seven zillion 1/8" pods (iso, amphi, cope, I have no idea). The cleaner shrimp walks over the rocks and the 'pods part like the Red Sea, and rejoin...
Premium Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9854 Comments 0 Go to first new comment ACBlinky is offline Edit Tags
Unread

It's picture time!

Posted 11/29/2012 at 04:07 PM by ACBlinky

Okay fair warning, they're low quality pictures from my blackberry, but... everyone loves pictures even if they're fuzzy, right?

Fish are here, hanging out in the QT. I got a pair of ocellaris clownfish, a yellow watchman goby, a longnose hawkfish and a kole tang.

The QT is being treated with Cupramine and the fish will be in copper at therapeutic levels for six weeks (unless they get sick!)

The display is doing well. I moved a couple of rocks around...
Premium Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 23276 Comments 1 Go to first new comment ACBlinky is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Curiouser and curiouser

Posted 11/23/2012 at 09:05 PM by ACBlinky

Haven't updated in a while, so I think I should post about my recent adventures!

We went to the far-away LFS again, where I picked up 5 more turbo snails, two emerald crabs and a skunk cleaner shrimp.

The algae situation continues to amaze and baffle me. The Bryopsis is GONE, we have some patches of fuzzy green stuff that the turbos keep nicely mowed, and something that grows lightening fast and looks like lettuce leaves. The snails ADORE this stuff, so even though...
Premium Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10174 Comments 0 Go to first new comment ACBlinky is offline Edit Tags
Unread

First water change

Posted 11/09/2012 at 10:47 PM by ACBlinky

Today I did what my husband calls 'playing with the aquarium'. Pulled stubborn bits of algae off the rocks, turkey basted the rockwork, re-adjusted the powerheads to remove detritus more effectively, and when the dust settled I decided to do a water change.

I wouldn't normally vacuum the sand, but last week I made one hell of a mess with my diatom filter -- I wanted to polish the water, but ended up accomplishing the opposite by accidentally spewing diatomaceous earth all over the...
Premium Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9093 Comments 0 Go to first new comment ACBlinky is offline Edit Tags