Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Unread

Shark basics

Posted 10/20/2012 at 10:23 PM by alprazo

This is a re-post of a thread but worth adding here.

Sharks in the home aquaria is nothing new. I bought my first in 1989. It was a common epaulette and I made every mistake with the poor gal. Despite that, I learned that these are resilient animals but deserve a different type of care than your average predatory fish.

Before deciding on species and tank size there are several items that are a must for keeping them. First is a good refractometer. Many, like...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 24279 Comments 0 Go to first new comment alprazo is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Force feeding your shark or ray

Posted 01/02/2012 at 04:01 PM by alprazo

Anorexia is often a common problem in newly acquired elasmobranches. Capture, shipping, stress, foreign foods, new environment, exposure to medications, delivery of pups are all possible reasons why your shark won't eat. Short periods of fasting should be closely observed, but several weeks of anorexia, lasting a month, are a cause for concern. You need to consider the size of the animal and physical state when deciding to force feed. I would give a large inactive wobbegong a much longer leash...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 26831 Comments 1 Go to first new comment alprazo is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Tankmates for Rays and Benthic Sharks

Posted 12/26/2011 at 08:09 PM by alprazo
Updated 12/26/2011 at 10:10 PM by alprazo

Tankmates - adding a shark to an existing tank stocked with fish or adding fish is one of the most frequently asked shark related questions in the forums.

Simply put, other sharks or rays depending on the tank size. Even this adds risk. I watched my wobbegong crush an epaulette twice its length and know of a horn shark that was blinded by an epaulette with a habit of sucking eyes out.

Fish considered safe "with caution": Groupers, squirrel fish, grunts,...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 20050 Comments 0 Go to first new comment alprazo is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Sharks, Skates, and Rays

Posted 12/25/2011 at 01:52 PM by alprazo

This will be dedicated to the keeping of Sharks, Rays and Skate in the home aquarium.

I have 19 years of experience with at least 18 different species of elasmobranches.
In addition I have 30 consecutive years logged with a running saltwater tank and 24 years in reefkeeping.

It will cover:

Species, identification, selection, purchasing, collection, growth, diet, health, disease, medications, water parameters, tankmates, breeding, mishaps,...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 25788 Comments 2 Go to first new comment alprazo is offline Edit Tags