Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Unread

Acclimation! How to, how long to drip, etc.

Posted 08/05/2012 at 02:49 PM by Sk8r

1. FOR A FISH: Ask your dealer what his Salinity is, and set your quarantine tank to that, precisely. The minute you open your bag, test the water to be sure he's right, and that you are, within .001 of a salinity-match; and a quick ph check is not a bad thing either---(if your ph should be bad (remember bag-water ph starts shifting the second the bag is opened) or if the salinity is not what you were told it was, a drip acclimation may be your only resort, especially if you have an especially fragile...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 12242 Comments 1 Go to first new comment Sk8r is offline Edit Tags
Unread

HOW TO SET UP A TANK, condensed verions (retitled)

Posted 08/05/2012 at 02:18 PM by Sk8r

1. if you're going to have corals you need to aim at having either an all-in-one tank---or a sump, skimmer, and good lighting. Your rock and sand take the place of a filter.
a. stony coral and clams: need brighter light, good circulation. For sps (colored sticks) you need high flow and a super skimmer.
b. 'soft' coral is more forgiving, can exist without a skimmer if you don't push it, but it's a good idea to have one.

2. if you're fish-only you can get by with a filter:...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 12805 Comments 1 Go to first new comment Sk8r is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Dirt-Simple Chemistry Must-knows for Tank Health

Posted 08/05/2012 at 02:12 PM by Sk8r

I'm going to start very slow, very basic, and work toward the lesser known things.

1. your salt mix is not just salt. It's dry seawater. And that means not only salt, it's calcium, magnesium, iodine, selenium, boron---read the label on your salt mix.

2. evaporation never evaporates the minerals. It only evaporates the water.

3. animals and plants suck up part of the minerals. So TWO actions unbalance your tank---evaporation increases the mineral concentration---and...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 12861 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Sk8r is offline Edit Tags
Unread

I don't know what to do

Posted 07/26/2012 at 08:13 PM by IridescentLily

I have a bad byropsis and cyano problem now.
I've tried everything. I'm at a loss as far as what else to try to fix these thungs.
Editor-Reefkeeping mag
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 35276 Comments 2 Go to first new comment IridescentLily is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Guide to setup a Quarantine Tank (QT)

Posted 07/25/2012 at 09:16 PM by bnumair

Here is link to the original forum:
[url]http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2195588[/url]

from which:

[B]How to Setup a Quarantine Tank?[/B]

This is a question that has been asked and brought up several times. This are lots of ways to do things in this hobby but not all ways are correct or proper or failsafe.
In my years of experience I have learned a few methods that work the best.
I will try to explain my findings...
Dr. Reef at ur service
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10133 Comments 0 Go to first new comment bnumair is offline Edit Tags