Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > sacremon
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

New additions and a backup plan works

Posted 07/14/2010 at 08:11 PM by sacremon

Yesterday some fairly violent storms rolled through our area and knocked out power to our subdivision. Power stayed off for about 1.5 hours. I turned off the electricity to the tank at the breaker box, in case it came up again very flickery, which it did when it went out. The UPS I have on the powerheads did its job, keeping the powerheads going the entire time, so that the tank had some circulation/aeration going.

Chris, the LFS owner, mailed me today that he could bring over the zebra moray this evening. He came over with a bucket and a bag. In the bucket was the eel. The bag had a 5" goldensaddle goatfish. He had gotten a 3" one earlier, but we both knew that would be too small for the tank. I have my doubts about the 5" specimen as well. He could readily be a snack for the lion, who is about 10". Fortunately for the goatfish, the lion doesn't seem particularly interested in him. I generally need to put food right on the lion's nose for him to eat it, so perhaps he will leave the goatfish alone. The desjardini tang, who is the most aggressive thing in the tank, is chasing the goat around. The tang was a bit freaked out about the eel, though. He spread his fins fully, and kept eying the eel. The eel found the cave I built for him, so he seems to be settling in quickly. My main concern at this point is to make sure the goatfish gets enough to eat and in turn does not become food for the lion.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 21959 Comments 3 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. New Comment
    if the lion fish is used to having food given to him, he probably wont change. Just to be safe it's probably a good idea to make sure the lion fish is well fed. Animals can change attitudes due to things like hunger. Of coarse its hard to tell what animals will do, so at a minimum keep an eye on him.
  2. New Comment
    So far the lion has not paid any attention to the goat, even when the goat is right in front of him. I feed the lion (and now the eel) once every three days, so he shouldn't be getting too hungry.
  3. New Comment
    thats good