Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Thoughts While Watching Paint Dry
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

random observations, thoughts on life, humorous stories....from the studio while I paint.
Rate this Entry

I have to admit....

Posted 07/06/2010 at 04:48 AM by superkat

I totally suck in the discernment area. When God was passing out brains? I was in the line for the happy dances. I really love life. But my overwhelming generosity and the fact that I rarely look before I leap puts me in places where hours or days later i find myself bashing my head into a brick wall, usually in the same spot that already was bashed into previously.

I'm such a sucker. Live in the moment. Suffer consequences later.

I was skipping rocks yesterday out on Lake Ontario. And I kind of feel like I'm the rock. Oh...it's a GLORIOUS lauch..pull back...that rock goes FLYIN' like a rocket launched into space...and then...WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE it dances across the water...far away from the safety of the shore...skipping twice...three times...maybe four or five if you got a really good arm...but then it inevitably SINKS. Into water that is so deep that you can't see the rock anymore. And there it lies...on the bottom...waiting for years of sloshing to be brought back up to the shore where once again it sees the light of day and perhaps gets touched upon again.

Liam was stacking rocks on the shore (he's my son...what do you expect?)...and I thought...he is picking out some of the prettiest rocks and placing them in the sun...and i felt a little sad for all the rocks that had that one moment of brief skipping joy at my hand. They were smooth and perfect...and I sent them sailing across that water with little thought. Only the thrill of the moment.

How often are we like that rock? Picked up and given the ride of our lives, only to find ourselves far from shore...far from a place in the sun? As we skip across the surface...do we even realize our fate? If rocks could think (and sometimes, I believe that rocks have more sensibility than I do), would they even consider that what they are experiencing when they are defying the laws of gravity is only fleeting? Do they even anticipate the laws of nature...or better...what is OBVIOUS? Or, for that moment, do they relinquish their grasp on reality and seize opportunity to have...if only even a temporary period of time, the exhilirating thrill of breaking the rules?

I wonder.

For now, however...I believe that I will start looking at life a little more closely. And maybe the next time I am at the beach with my son...I will help him stack rocks...instead of uselessly tossing them away.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 15326 Comments 3 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. New Comment
    “true friendship isn't about being there when it's convenient; it's about being there when it's not.”
  2. New Comment
    your a good writer. you should publish
  3. New Comment
    someday maybe.....someday. I actually have written several full length novels...mostly science fiction....but artists never think their stuff is any good....lol.