Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Hardware components of my two primary tanks and some of the fish I keep
Unread

Prophylactic treatment of cryptocaryon irritans (ich)

Posted 03/17/2014 at 08:41 AM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 03/18/2014 at 05:33 PM by snorvich

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
As a prophylactic methodology for ich (and only ich), tank transfer will result in 100% success rate with healthy fish. I agree only one fish at a time is desirable. Any other prophylactic methodology has a risk (be it chloroquine phosphate, hyposalinity, or copper) because for ich, the first part of the life cycle is highly predictable from a time perspective, whereas the back end of the life cycle is not. The timing of theront emission is highly variable, normally up to 28 days, but depending
Team RC member
Views 8963 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Why I prefer tank transfer for curing cryptocaryon irritans (ich)

Posted 03/16/2014 at 11:35 AM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 03/18/2014 at 05:33 PM by snorvich

Quote:
By the way, the reason I recommend tank transfer above all other treatments for ich (cryptocaryon irritans) is because of the nature of the life cycle.

The front end of the life cycle has the least variation of time for each stage and it begins with the trophont.

The stage where the parasite is attached to a fish is called a trophont. The trophont will spend three to seven days (depending on temperature) feeding on the fish and that is what you see symptomatically
Team RC member
Views 8549 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Using Cupramine to treat cryptocaryon irritans

Posted 03/16/2014 at 11:13 AM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 03/18/2014 at 05:34 PM by snorvich

Quote:
For cupramine, the instructions may be a bit fuzzy. Generally folks here feel that the 0.5mg/l dose they recommend is too high and too aggressive. Try dosing at 0.35-0.40 and keep it there for the 4 week period. Also ramp up the dose slowly over 5-7 days to give the fish time to acclimate better.

Cupramine Dosing Formula / Calculator

(.381) * (strength of dose) * (gallons being treated) = mL of Cupramine to dose

Example: (.381) * (.5mg/L) * (10.5 gallons) =
Team RC member
Views 8424 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Diagnosis of Problems in Marine Fish

Posted 03/11/2014 at 11:14 AM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 03/18/2014 at 05:35 PM by snorvich

Quote:
Diagnosis of Problems

Tiny white dots on body or fins (looks like salt)
Research:
a) Marine Ich (parasite)

Gold, brown or rust colored patches on body
Research:
a) Marine Velvet (parasite)

Tiny black dots on body or fins
Research:
a) Black Ich (parasite)

Raised white bumps on body or fins which looks lumpy
Research:
a) Lymphocystis (viral)
b) Fungal Infection
Team RC member
Views 8925 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Garlic is bad for fish Part II - from Humaguy

Posted 02/27/2014 at 04:50 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 03/18/2014 at 05:36 PM by snorvich

Garlic must assuredly be a proven method of disease treatment. Why else would so many reputable manufacturers make and market a cure if it had not been scientifically proven?

Taking these points in order, first garlic has never been conclusively proven to cure Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), ever. Some hobbyists have used it and reported that their fish got better, but these are not controlled studies and none of these hobbyists know for certain if their fish's own natural immunity...
Team RC member
Views 13623 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags