Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Thoughts While Watching Paint Dry
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

random observations, thoughts on life, humorous stories....from the studio while I paint.
Rate this Entry

What Dreams May Come

Posted 11/21/2010 at 10:35 PM by superkat

What Dreams May Come is a 1998 film about a man who dies and finds himself in a heaven more amazing than he could have ever dreamed of, but without his wife, who killed herself after he died. He decides to risk eternity in hell for the small chance that he will be able to bring her back to heaven.

When I am done writing, I am going to watch this movie tonight. Because there are very few people on this planet that would sacrifice themselves for someone else. I realized this during the last 48hrs. It takes great strength, love, commitment, trust and loyalty to do what Chris did for his wife, Annie, in that movie.

Chris refuses to leave her side after he dies...and he haunts her. He tells her, "Annie, I'm here, I still exist" until it drives her to suicide. And condemns her to hell. He learns that it is an occupational hazard of soul mates that one is not good without the other.

Annie was suffering from severe depression after the loss of her two children. Chris could not see how it was affecting her, or was too wrapped up in other things to notice. When he realizes that she may die from the depression, he tells her, "That's when I realized I'm part of the problem. Not because I remind you. But because I couldn't join you. So I left you alone. Don't give up, okay?"

I believe that the foundation of love is not only to face each others battles together, but to experience them as well. We cannot truly help another person until we can stare their demons in the face and address them personally.

When Chris decides that he is going to risk an eternity in hell to try and get Annie and bring her back, the Tracker tells him, "We'll find her. But when you find her, nothing will make her recognize you. Nothing will break her denial. It's stronger than her love. In fact, reinforced by her love. You can say everything you long to say, including goodbye, even if she can't understand it, and you'll have the satisfaction that you didn't give up. That has to be enough." Chris responds, "You just get me there, I'll decide what's enough."

I believe that "enough"....isn't really a word that should be used in a relationship based a soul connection. Because, honestly....there should be no limit to what you would do to protect, love and cherish that person. It truly isn't about understanding- it's about not giving up!

Once Chris gets to Annie's personal hell. He tries very hard to get her to recognize him...to understand that he is there to save her. But slowly, he begins to lose himself...

He says to Annie as he realizes he is starting to slip away, "I forgive you. For being so wonderful a guy would choose hell over heaven just to be around you."

How many of us would do that? Would you give up everything you had to go into someone else's personal hell and bring them back.....and knowing that if you did not succeed...that you would be stuck there too?

Not many would respond to this calling on their life.

Let me tell you from personal experience....it is a very delicate road to travel. Because you CAN get lost, or start to forget....

I can only count 3 individuals I would do that for. How about you?
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1067476 Comments 14 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 14

Comments

1. New Comment
    I don't have to worry about this kind of stuff at the current state of time.
  2. New Comment
    i'm really glad that you don't. :-)
  3. New Comment
    why the sudden outburst of depressing posts?
  4. New Comment
    oh, i don't think this is depressing at all. in fact, this movie is one of the most beautiful testimonies to pure love out there.
  5. New Comment
    It just has to do with death, not a cheery subject.
  6. New Comment
    Unfortunately I got a mild case of food poisoning this morning, so no thanksgiving dinner for me.
  7. New Comment
    Updated 11/24/2010 at 04:27 PM by superkat (duplicate)
  8. New Comment
    No, death, in itself, not cheery...but think about what happened here....he loved her so much, he was willing to sacrifice heaven to be with her. That's huge!

Oh man...food poisoning???? Yuck. Sending you some virtual well wishes.....
  9. New Comment
    kind of like a few stories from greek mythology.
  10. New Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superkat View Comment
    No, death, in itself, not cheery...but think about what happened here....he loved her so much, he was willing to sacrifice heaven to be with her. That's huge!

Oh man...food poisoning???? Yuck. Sending you some virtual well wishes.....
    thanks for the wishes, and sorry for my random outburst of randomness.
  11. New Comment
    I'm part of a local aquarium club (masc), often times they complain about the random posts I make. For example; once I made a post stating that we should have a party for no reason at BLITZ paint ball. It would be fun, we could start out with a frag swap, the proceed to eat food, then finish it off with a gigantic paint ball war.

As expected, the idea didn't fly.
  12. New Comment
    are you kidding? random thoughts and outbursts are always welcome here.
  13. New Comment
    MASC is not so appreciative of random stuff.
  14. New Comment
    Superkat, I can empathize w/you and your feelings here. Mine would be the same for I have been down that very road to hell. I gave up everything only to learn that when I got there, she was lost to me. She had given herself over to the dark side and made it so much a part of her, it became her and she it. I mourn her loss now as if she had died for I learned I could not save her. I am 45 and am bereft of anything on this earth. What some people have to learn is "bottom dwellers exist for a reason too". I learned she was meant to be a bottom dweller and let her stay there. Hardest thing I ever had to do.