Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > System configuration and fish for my two tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Hardware components of my two primary tanks and some of the fish I keep
Fish Parasites and Diseases, Treatment and Prevention Various information about fish diseases and parasites
Unread

Amyloodinium ocellatum (Marine Velvet)

Posted 12/18/2010 at 10:42 AM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 03/03/2014 at 10:11 AM by snorvich

What is Oodinium?

Velvet or Coral Fish Disease is caused from an infestation of the dinoflagellate Amyloodinium ocellatum. The life cycle of Velvet is very similar to the life cycle of marine ich. This organism is parasitic on fish at one stage in its life cycle; during that stage it is visible to the naked eye. The total life cycle for this parasite approximates 3 weeks; but for total safety after a tank is infected two life cycles should be waited (six weeks). The lifecycle is very...
Team RC member
Views 21467 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

cryptocaryon irritans (marine ich) Part I

Posted 12/18/2010 at 10:01 AM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 03/03/2014 at 09:58 AM by snorvich

The life cycle of this parasite is interesting and is important to understand when evaluating a treatment. The stage where the parasite is attached to a fish is called a trophont. The trophont will spend three to seven days (depending on temperature) feeding on the fish and that is what you see symptomatically when you see "salt sprinkled on the fish". However ich does not have to be visible in order to be present. After that, the trophont leaves the fish and becomes what is called a...
Team RC member
Views 65358 Comments 2 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags