Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Konadog
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Konadog's 225

Posted 12/06/2009 at 10:39 PM by Konadog
Updated 12/06/2009 at 10:48 PM by Konadog

Thought I'd move this over from the old blogs...

Originally posted: Tuesday, Dec 26th, 2006 at 12:47 am

Well, it's been a year since I shut my 100 gallon mixed reef tank down and started collecting parts for my new dream tank, a Lee Mar three sided starphire 225!It just so happened one day that a friend decided to take a break from the hobby, and he just happened to have the tank I wanted.

Tank dementions are, 72"L x 30"D x 24"H.
Here's the tank just after I got it home:

I also had decided to build my own stand. I wanted something a bit taller than normal as I was tired of bending over to look at my tank inhabitants. I also wanted something that was sturdy enough to handle some of the Southern California earthpuakes we have from time to time. So, with the help of a welder friend at work, we came up with a design that would make access to the equipment area simple, and be sturdy enough to park a tank on it.

This is what we came up with:

Stand is 40" tall.

Now with metal stands, the one thing to worry about is rust, I hate rust. Most everyone said to powder coat the stand, that will keep it from rusting. Now, most of the powder coated stands I have seen have been scratched or chipped over the years, and guess what............... rust!

Well, I came up with a better idea. Of to see another friend that work for Line-x, a spray on truck bed liner. A few days later, this is what the stand now looks like.

Now I have an indestructible coating on the steal stand that isn't going to rust, and it deadened the sound that can resonate thru steal tubing.

Next came the wood top cover, 3/4" plywood with about 10 coats of Polyurethane for water proofing. The two holes that you see at each end are for a future idea I am playing with in case your wondering.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 20485 Comments 1 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. New Comment
    Nice.