Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Spaced Cowboy
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Rate this Entry

Finishing off the water storage/making area

Posted 09/18/2011 at 12:15 AM by Spaced Cowboy
Tags build

So, now that the tanks are in-place and ready to go, I had to link up the RO/DI system. As mentioned above, I bought the six-stage Chloramines system from BRS since San Jose uses Chloramines (basically Chlorine bound to Ammonia, yuk!) as part of their sterilization process. I mounted them above the large SW tank, mainly because that's where the tap is


I also added a power line, taken via an armoured cable from the swimming-pool sub-panel, and plumbed in a ball-valve at the base of the mixing tank, so once the NSW reads 1.026 s.g., all I have to do is turn the valve and 70 gallons of NSW gets dumped to the large NSW storage tank...


Both the mixing-tank and the RO/DI tank are fed (via a T) from the same RO/DI system output. There's a shut-off valve located where the RO system is fed, which is activated by the back-pressure from the float-valves in each tank. If either tank is not yet full, that tank will be filled with RO/DI until it reaches the top, at which point the RO/DI will switch to filling the other tank if needed, finally shutting off completely, all completely automatically.

This is rather cool because it means I always have a full 70 gallons of pure RO/DI, and it also means the mixing tank starts to refill as soon as I empty it via the ball-valve to the NSW storage.

One of the things I have noticed is that I do seem to be going through DI resin quite fast - I've ordered more, but I thought I'd get through it slower than this. The resin changes to a brownish colour when it's exhausted, and you can see in the first picture below that it's going brown after only ~210 gallons of water produced (still at 0 tds output though). I was expecting ~800 gallons before exhaustion, not ~300 gallons (estimated).


The middle image is my digital refractometer. Nice little toy, and makes it easier to measure the s.g And finally I laid down some cable-protector so the water-pipes that go from the storage-tanks under the house to the display tank won't get crushed when I step on them
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4799 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:32 AM.

TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.