Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Aqua Digital Blog for all things we distribute
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Project cube is here

Posted 02/08/2010 at 06:10 PM by AQD_ottawa

Well I guess its been a long time coming, but I am finally at the point to start our small 24" cube tank build.

This will highlight as many GHL ProfiLux items we can cram into it, go through step by step set ups and throw in as many photos and possibly video for you.

This build will also feature fauna marin and Aquarium Illuminations as these two companies products all tie up with GHL in various ways.

So onto the equipment

[B][U]Then tank[/U][/B]

24x24x24 cube Euro brace with rear center weir box. 3 sided star fire, supplied by Miracles in Toronto Canada. I should have delivery in 14 days or less.

[B][U]The stand[/U][/B]

Custom made in birch by none other than Christian (Boboxx) Chris builds some of the most stunning bespoked cabinetry I have come across and well worth talking to him if you are looking for something custom. The stand will be Espresso in colour to match our home decor, production photos to follow soon.

[B][U]The Sump[/U][/B]

Supplied, again by Christian (man of many talents!) This will be acrylic.

[B][U]Lighting[/U][/B]

2 x Aqua illuminations LED's, I am really looking forward to getting these above the tank, the functionality when attached to a profilux controller is mind blowing. Still waiting on the cable like everyone else, but I am told its in the post wahey!!

[B][U]Mineral dosing[/U][/B]

No calcium reactor here, instead fauna marin Balling light using the GHL doser and 3 x Bubble magus 2.5L containers.

[B][U]Skimmer[/U][/B]

I wanted to use the Blue line skimmer from Fauna Marin here but its just too big so will be using a Bubble Magus BM150Pro, this is the one with the aqua bee pump so I am quite keen to see how this plays out, again i wanted to use a cone, but they do not do one small enough as yet.

[B][U]Live Stock[/U][/B]

Lots of Fiji premium rock, and SPS dominent, I will also have a small amount of LPS, my wife would not be happy if it did not have a hammer head. Fish wise, not a clue as yet, its only 60 gallon so will not be crowded.

I am not sre where the corals are coming from as yet, to be honest i have been quite dissapointed with local offerings so far, being from the UK I am used to full coloured maricultured colonies for about $100, and I cant find anything to match this here in Canada. Same goes for the rock, hard to find good supply, but I am banking on Pat at Ottawa Inverts to come up with something to meet my European high expectations

More to follow
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 258584 Comments 26 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 26

Comments

1. New Comment
    So onto the set up and some photos (the important part)

So my wife loses one of her side tables in favour of the tank, I am sure I can find room elsewhere for her belly dancing photos!

The first thing that arrived was the 5 stage RO unit from BWi plumbing.

Here is the spec

Membrane - watts
    5 stage RO/DI
    Stage 1- 1 Micron Sediment NSF® certified
    Stage 2- Catalytic Carbon for Hydrogen Sulfide and Chloramines Removal 12 x 40 mesh size
    Stage 3-0.5 Carbon Block Cartridge for Long Life and High Chlorine Reduction 20,000Gal Capacity NSF® certified
    Stage 4- 100 GPD Membrane TFC 96%-99.5% rejection rates max PSI 125
    Stage 5- Nuclear Grade Mixed Bed DI Resin Cartridge for Demineralization flow 1GPM

The set up was easy. First thing was to take a tee off the homes humidifier

This saved the need for a seperate tap, although a shut off has been put inline to the unit.

The RO unit was securely mounted near the furnace so i could utilise the basement furnace drain for waste.

The RO will be used for direct auto top off as well as filling the auto water change container, so a line had to be run to the front of the house. At this point the decision came whether to put a pipework duct in the dry wall down to the basement, but then i realised the there was a air return by the side of the tank which was perfect for running the pipework for the ATO and the AWC.

Here you can see the duct boot I will be going through

2. New Comment
    Where it comes out

And the feedline waiting to be extended to the first floor

For the ATO I will most likely use two solenoid valves, one will be for redundancy. The ATO will be controlled by the ProfiLux as will the AWC.
  3. New Comment
    So here are the first pictures of the stand

4. New Comment
    So equipment break down.

1 x Miracle star fire Euro braced tank
    1 x BWi 5 stage RO
    3 x RO electronic solenoids
    1 x ProfiLux 3EX
    1 x wireless bridge adapter (network is upstairs, tank downstairs so need a link to the controller)
    1 x PAB power bar
    1 x GHL pH probe
    1 x GHL Redox probe
    1 x GHL Salinity probe
    1 x GHL Humidity/Air temp Probe (this is for the house)
    1 x Aqua Digital ozone unit (max on two hours after feeding)
    1 x 4 channel GHL slave doser
    1 x BM150Pro bubble Magus Skimmer
    2 x Tunze 6055 streams
    2 x Tunze - GHL control cables
    2 x GHL optical level sensors for ATO and AWC
    2 x Aquarium Illuminations LED lighting
    1 x Ai-GHL control cable
    3 x Bubble Magus Balling chambers
    1 x Acrylic sump
    1 x Aqua Bee 2000L return pump
    ? x Various amounts of Lockline for the return
    1 x Durso stand pipe
    1 x Phos/Carbon reactor

I am sure there will be more but that covers the basics.
  5. New Comment
    So a hot topic has come up in email and PM,

"How are you going to get round high levels of PPM from your RO unit on initial outflow when switched on?"

Good question as this is everyones concern with direct RO input and leads most to install holding tanks

Not required though

All you need is a Tee piece on your outlet from the RO and 2 x RO electronic solenoids. One solenoid goes to waste to run off for a set timed amount of RO.

of course if you do not trust the auto shut off valve on your RO unit then you will need a solenoid on the inlet also.

After this timed period ends the solenoid supplying flow to the ATO for the tank comes on supplying only clean water to the tank.

So using a bit of GHL profiLux progammable logic utilising the extreme power of Profilux you rid yourself of the holding tank for good
  6. New Comment
    With fine precision the Aquarium cabinet starts to take shape. Just look at the craftsmanship! I cant wait to see this in the flesh.

7. New Comment
    Little update

Now we shall see what these Ai bad boys can do!
  8. New Comment
    The stand is now taking shape

9. New Comment
    Custom cabinet update.

Just waiting for staining and door now

10. New Comment

11. New Comment
    Well today i received the Bubble magus BM150pro skimmer.

First impressions - Absolutley mind blowing amazing quality!! Even the finest details eveything is so well machined every attention to detail has been thought of here.

Yes we are the Master distributors for Bubble magus, but we do not take on rubbish products and those companies that charge an earth for a skimmer better watch out, bubble magus have it spot on in quality concept and price!

Some pics of course -

I took this one so you get an idea of size

More after the weekend
  12. New Comment
    Update on stand

If you want an amazing be-spoked tank cabinet talk to Boboxx (Christian)

Stand and sump ships to me Monday from Chris
    Tank ships Monday from Miracles

Then the fun begins
  13. New Comment
    So here is the main equipment layout

14. New Comment
    Completed stand minus door handle but with the brackets for the Ai. These are 18" above the tank height (which is 24") to give good working clearance.

And the sump plus ProfiLux controller shelf

15. New Comment
    So its build time wahoo

The tank arrived in one piece from Miracle aquariums in Toroto Canada, fantastic job, well made and all edges as they should be, the drill holes are really smooth too, not a single nick

All drains and returns are bonded in, and the stand pipe put together

Updated 03/02/2010 at 06:28 PM by AQD_ottawa
  16. New Comment
    Like the stand?

17. New Comment
    Peak-a-boo

18. New Comment
    Somone has been busy

19. New Comment
    If you want a sump built - Talk to Christian (Boboxx) take a look at this workmanship! Probe holders built in!

Yep its a squeeze alright!

20. New Comment
    Just add water! I have now run the RO line up through the central air ductwork and to the tank. The slow fill begins.