View Single Post
Unread 07/05/2009, 11:01 AM   #104
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Old habit or not......I am not basing what I said on something I have read and someone elses experience

I have shipped countless corals as well, in all conditions and have experience shipping and recieving damp. The mortality rates are simply unacceptable.

you will nto find a "better" way than I do it in concern to mortalility rates. I can confidently ship in anything from 20 degree to 100 degree weather and guaranteee specimen to be in perfect health

Again, I have this funny quirk about needing to succeed every single time which may set my methods apart.

Again, JMO and there are many ways to skin a cat in this hobby and many different perceptions of what is and what isnt acceptable

I wont ever ship damp, nor will I knowingly pay for any shipment that I know will be packed damp.

I do absolutely agree with what he says in concern to using a "real" cooler. those makeshift seperate walled things are awful. sure they work most of the time, but you lose all real temp control, as well as the ability to truly control the environment with creative hot or cold pack application if you cannot hold the temp in the container.

If you really think this "damp" method sounds so great, I encourage you to go grab ten pieces fo coral out of your tank. Pack them damp in a cooler just like you would be shipping them and even keep the boxes in yor fishroom for perfect conditions and taking out the fed ex drop kick and cook element. Take them out in 24 hours and report if every single one survived.

For kicks......I just might do that just to prove what I *think*. I could even use a tough specimen of sps to give the experiment the greatest benefit of the doubt. Also keep in mind that frags, are going to be much tougher than colonies. Im not going to risk ten colonies just to prove a point, but I would venture to say the mortality rate of shipping actual colonies this way would be infintely worse yet. Maybe we could do this experiment together....you pull ten colonies out for a nice round number as a result....and I will pull ten frags.

He mentioned seriotopa as not being a ccandidate for this. Singling out that coral seems a little odd to me. It is mostly the thin branches of the seriotopa that makes it a very poor candidate for shippign damp, although there are countless acropora (and other)species that woudl have the same problem with the core temp changing and flesh drying far too easily due to thin branches and slime production to be a good candidate for shipping damp.

Last edited by flyyyguy; 07/05/2009 at 11:41 AM.
flyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote