View Single Post
Unread 02/17/2009, 05:29 PM   #5
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

The Aquascape

It was a goal from the start of this project to conceal as much equipment in the display tank as possible while keeping as much open swimming space as possible. I did not want it to feel very crowded.

The first job was to create rock covers for the overflows, which would help the background blend in with the aquascape.

I used a method called the Rock Foam method by some on this board. Some will know it as the Tiggsy Method although this method has been around a while and evolved to what it is now.

First 1/2" PVC structures were built to the dimensions of the overflows. Eggcrate and dry rocks were zip-tied to this frame through holes drilled in the pipes.

Pond Foam in a spray can was then used to fill in all the gaps in the rocks. After the foam was done expanding, the excess was cut off with a razor blade. Then West Systems Epoxy Resin was used to stick aragonite sand and crushed coral over the foam.

This is after the first application of sand to cover the foam:

After three coats of epoxy resin and sand I could no longer tell rock from foam and I was pretty happy with the results:

I waited two weeks for the epoxy to cure and them put them in the tank. One of the 'pillars' was floating up at an angle when submerged, so I had to go cut out more foam from the rear and bottom, and then I filled the empty space with cement just to be sure it would sink.

This is the tank with the overflow covers, the rest of the aquascape is simply a mix of dry and live rock stacked on top of the sand bed (messed with using PVC frames for the rest of the aquascape but it proved problematic to align them with the DSB):

The rest of the aquascape only took a few hours, and has not changed too much since the first pass:

I will try to get time to post some updated coral and fish shots.

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
ReefEnabler is offline   Reply With Quote