View Single Post
Unread 08/06/2006, 03:30 AM   #18
ReefMeister2
Moved On

Hi everyone,
I'm back home and back in the saddle again
The sad thing is... I actually missed my garage! LOL
"Tinkerers never sleep"

OK, well, I don't know why I didn't think of this before but...many (if not most) light-duty bulkhead fittings (designed for aquariums) are made of ABS plastic! Granted, there MAY be different "grades" of ABS used in the manufacture of different products, but I doubt this is the case.
I really think this material is safe, safe, safe!

H20ENG,
You are one of my RO/DI mentors! "highjacking" would never come to mind....your posts are always awesome!

GROSSR,
I have no experience with the single LifeReef overflow, but I suspect it could handle significantly more flow with a second U-tube...perhaps somewhere approaching 1,000 gph. The limiting factor would be its single 1" drain. There is enough room to retrofit a 1-1/4" drain in its place, but, I've just not gathered the nerve yet to try dislodging the existing PVC fitting that is glued in place.

RokleM,
While I am skeptical of your ABS concern, I ABSOLUTELY respect and appreciate the feedback! Since I have not formally researched the issue, I cannot difinetively refute what you say. I'd sure hate to steer people the wrong way if you are indeed correct. Please keep us posted if you find additional information on the subject.

Thanks everyone for the support ...

Reefmeister2

ReefMeister2 is offline   Reply With Quote