View Single Post
Unread 08/11/2021, 12:51 PM   #380
SouthBayPhoto
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I'm with you on the sticker shock of LEDs. They are amazing technology, with tons of cool features. I'm not rich enough to justify such an expensive 'want'. So I'm still using my metal halide setup I've had for 15 years or so, to cover my 'need'.

For me it helps to spread out cost over time, when it comes to expensive stuff. You could start out with one LED fixture, and supplement it with the T5s you already have. Then add more LEDs down the road, as you get more serious about reef keeping.

The dawn and dusk blue effect is pretty sweet. I get it with a blue LED flood light from home depot, on an appliance timer. It's a bit cheaper...
Michael - Thanks for the ideas. I'm glad I'm not the only one with sticker shock. LOL I get it, just like you, that the technology is cool and they are trying to make things work better than the tried and true T-5s and/or MHs. I almost considered trying to find older MHs to do things cheaper and use those along with the T5-s that are coming with the tank. I think he has two T-5s on each side (front and back) of the tank, so I could put the LEDs (or MHs if I try that route) in the middle.

Another crazy question I have is this...what color bulbs should I run in the T-5s if I add either MHs or LEDs (most likely) to that setup? I haven't seen any of the videos mention which T-5 bulbs to use in a combo with LEDs. Should all of them be super actinic, regular actinic or should two be actinic and two be regular daylight?

It's good that we have options, but sometimes there are toooooo many options to try and figure out what to do. That's where I'm at. LOL

Current Tank Info: 135g fish/reef tank under construction :)
SouthBayPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote