View Single Post
Unread 01/26/2015, 03:08 PM   #17
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
I see no problem in using tank water if it is properly disinfected.
I have currently some fish in hyposalinity for Ich treatment. For water changes I take water from the main tank and boil it. Then I adjust salinity and temperature by adding RO water and ice - works perfectly fine. And the corals in my main tank need the fresh water more than the fish.

I would also do TTM under hyposaline conditions, firstly to reduce stress and strengthen the fish's immune system and secondly to reduce costs.

And hyposalinity is recommended for copper or antibiotic treatments too. Especially copper treatments should be done at reduced salinity since copper severely reduces the fish's immune defenses.
DON'T use fallow tank water or water from a infected source. 72 days fallow at that. Otherwise the count constantly starts over every 3 days. Mix new saltwater everytime and seed with filter media from a clean origin. Hypo is extremely limited in effectiveness and is way more difficult than what Steve described in the first post.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote