View Single Post
Unread 07/17/2015, 09:56 AM   #19
Leviathan_XE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
I had a reaction to my fingers once Curing uncured live rock in a two container method. Once a week i would take the rock from of container (90 lbs approx) One Rock at a time and rinse it at the top of the water then scrub it with a soft brush. then put in the second container with fresh salt water.. after doing this for a few weeks i noticed the tips of my fingers were getting very sensitive and kinda red .. Kinda like a chemical burn . It was not until like the 4th or 5 th time i figured out for sure it was the Rock doing it... Started using gloves and washing my hands with anti microbial /fungal soap and scrubbing them and it cleared up... I know most live rock will not have this much growth but in the end i should have worn one of the several pair of gloves we have around... I still to this day get a similar but much less intense reaction if i mess with rock work for more then a few minutes.....
I say JUST DO NOT BE STUPID LIKE i was.. IT CANT HAPPEN TO ME..... PSST.
This...it's funny how it seems to build up over time. When new I use to stick my hand in the tank all the time with zero issues, grabbing nems with my bare hands.....nothing. Then over time, I started to notice that my hands would feel sore the next day after working in the tank, then gradually it became worse......went from just being sore, to red and itchy....then to a rash.