View Single Post
Unread 01/25/2009, 04:24 PM   #128
davocean
Registered Member

I have a pretty good one.
A couple years ago we went out for opening night of lobster season.
When I came up, as soon as I got to the boat, fog came in REALLY heavy, thick, and it came in fast.
I was lucky I got to the boat first, but many other divers didn't.
The fact it was opening night made it worse, due to the fact it was a total zoo of boats/divers.
Coast gaurd came on the radio, and said ALL boats w/out sonar were to drop anchor and stay put till it lifted.
Many divers, not able to find their boat spent the night on boats owned by new good friends!
That was a long cold night for me in an open boat in a wet wetsuit!
To make matters worse, we weren't far out of harbor, and not far from shipping lanes.
No one admitted fear, but when we heard the loud engines of big ships, well, we were all awefully quiet!
Especially knowing the current was pulling that direction, and we were anchored in sand.
I now make sure to keep a sealed bag w/ dry warm clothes, and 2 whistles attached to my gear(one whistle w/ a back up compass).
It made me think about how most of my night bug dives were from shore, and what if that happened then?
So I also check compass readings b4 dives(I also learned this year that thanks to getting older and needing reading glasses, I can't see the numbers well, so I have 2 strips of duct tape marking way to shore)
And I don't think I'll do another opening night so close to a zoo of boats/divers and that close to the harbor mouth!

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote