View Single Post
Unread 09/29/2021, 01:01 AM   #1
fishy888
Registered Member

Honeymoon Reef 2.0

After a 6 year hiatus I am back! This build will be the biggest I have ever attempted. My wife got me a 4' 150 gallon tank today as an early birthday gift. It will take me quite a while before I can even fill this tank since we are likely moving in a month or two. I also want to get good equipment on this tank without breaking the bank.

The tank is reef ready with the return plumbing and fittings intact. The seams are about as immaculate as one could hope for especially since it has been in a storage shed since last winter. It is slightly loose in one small spot towards the top. The structural silicone has 2 small air bubbles total for the whole tank.

The aquarium had some sort of paint on the back and on one side. It looks and feels like an acrylic paint of some sort. It is peeling off so I started removing it tonight. Once that's done I am going to work on the stand that came with the tank and fix a few issues I saw once the tank and stand came in the house. The stand itself has an off-center center brace. I'll leave it intact but cut and install a second one to balance it out. There is also a vertical support in the back that's way too short so I will cut a new one and install it as well. Since I am going to add a sump I might build a cabinet to go on one side. I might also add sump space in back.

As for the sump I am thinking 10 gallons. I might do a 20 tall though. I want to run an algae scrubber in the sump so I think I will do a cabinet on the side. Then I'll have room for lighting for the sump and algae scrubber.

This build will be damsel dominant as far as fish go. I am going to try for a mixed reef but I know all too well that corals and allelopathy go hand in hand. I will probably stay away from mushrooms and leathers as a result though zoas and xenia will happen.

Despite the fact that I kept reef tanks before I am relearning the basics especially with such a large tank. I figure it would be best to do everything with my time so I get it right the first time.

I am going to post some pictures of the new tank. I will also take plenty of pictures as the build progresses.

fishy888 is offline   Reply With Quote