View Single Post
Unread 05/01/2019, 03:57 PM   #4
kizanne
Registered Member

I have a microscope but also if I let it sit then the bacteria build a film but not the typical green.

As far as aging, I just don't use it for many day usually a week or two after adding the fertilizer.

Do you have a scope or good magnifier to check for ciliates. They are a little smaller than rotifers. so very hard to see without a scope but will eat algae. Often times looks like hazy water if there are high concentrations.

If you have some greenish water try running some through a 2 layers of paper coffee filters. this usually will strain out below bigger than 7 microns depending on the filter (you want the cheap paper filters). this can get the ciliates out without removing the nano which is like 3 microns.

A fancy 10 micron filter would work too. But nano is easy to come by and should be cheap so you could start fresh.. Some ciliates aren't bad there is some breeding journals where they tried ciliates with differing success rates so ciliates plus copepods or rotifers not so bad. But ciliates are a common crash for rotifer cultures. Usually that happens way more often with the dead concentrate than the live. But the paper filter will get most stuff out and leave the nano.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote