View Single Post
Unread 11/08/2011, 09:11 AM   #16
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Beautiful tank/s and great system, congratulations. I do have a question for you. I noticed that you use Purigen and carbon. Can you tell me why you use both? I was under the impression that they basically do the same thing. I ask because I'm striving to reach the high level of success that you have obviously achieved.

PS- I also grew up in Queens (Flushing) and I'm also retired and now live in New Mexico.

Thankyou,

I use both because both grab organics but not all organics are the same; they vary in hydrophobic and hydrophylic qualities for one thing . The resin (purigen) likely favors some lower on the list of carbon's favorites and vice versa. So I may get a broader range of organics removal with both.

I lived in Flushing from about 1952 to 1959, near Kissena boulevard. It was good ; lot's of kids roaming around to play with , open spaces, stickball games , free reign on my bicycle . Great place and time to be young.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote