View Single Post
Unread 10/01/2014, 05:09 PM   #219
glennf
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_zoa View Post
Here is my tank. It's not really this blue. I have a crappy camera and no photo skills. The MJ1200 in the upper right hand corner is where I run filter floss "when" I run it like in this pic. I only run it 24 hrs and then I either change it or remove it. I only run it when I feel like polishing the water.
you get the most out of it when you leaf it runnen 24/7 and replaced the filter flos every 2 -5 day

This is my false sump. It's 4" PVC. I have a MJ1200 in the bottom for turnover through it. As well as my skimmer intake so my skimmer gets surface water. I extended the skimmer intake to go as close to the bottom as I could with the MJ1200 in there. My ATO is also in the PVC so my salinity doesn't bounce. This pipe acts as the last (return) chamber in a normal sump setup. All evap is seen in this pipe so I loose just a couple ounces to evap before my ATO kicks in. It actually gives me more stability in salinity then standard sumps due to water volume.

the construction with the pipe looks OK and it seem to be working just fine.

My skimmer with 24 hrs of collection. The skimmer is a Reef Octo BH-1000

i can't judge the skimmer from a picture, but it's best the skimmer foams gently and the bubbles do not pop all the time splashing water into the cup

I also dose a mix of vinegar and vitamin C. I'm dosing about 28ml a day.
With the coral population you have there is no need to dose vitamine C.
All supplements are for advanced users who got to the level their tank is fully stocked with corals and they get deficiencies, or they want to finetune colors or boast some growth. Vitamin C can benefit some buttons

vinegar dosing to lower Nitrate requires PO4 to be measurable (0,04-0,08ppm ) and a good working skimmer.
with no PO4 Present the NO3 will rise (even when carbon dosing)

glennf is offline   Reply With Quote