View Single Post
Unread 01/08/2016, 04:22 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

I've been using the same 200 micron felt filter socks for the last 5 years and have yet to buy new ones. I use 4 socks in my sump at a time and usually wash 6 weeks worth at a time. I've always (since day 1) got the same 7-10 days out of them before they clogged. I've been cleaning mine the same way since day 1 too. I wash them in the washing machine with a small amount of bleach. I set the machine to include a pre-wash and a 2nd rinse and medium to high temp. The socks always come like new. I suspect your cleaning method isn't working as well as you may think (looks can be deceiving) which would explain why they don't last as long. The extra agitation of the washing machine really does help free up any trapped solids. That or your tank has more solids in it now (that it did months back) from increased load or increased feeding. The length of time it takes for them clog is dependant on the amount of solid waste in your tank as well as the amount of flow through the socks.

If you use the washing machine which I strongly recommend, try to clean out the soap trays if you can before you do the wash. It's something I make a point of doing as a matter of habit every time I wash my socks. If by chance there is some residual soap, the rinse cycles will remove it but it's easy for me to clean the soap/fabric soften trays in my machine so I always do that first. Also be sure to use a 2nd rinse cycle and even a pre wash if you have that option. Then let them air dry before putting them back in. .

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote